My first Group Photography event

Paulb123

Mu-43 Regular
A bit of background, I moved up from Bridge to mirrorless (Olympus OMD 10 Mark II) and have never owned a DSLR. I don't own any PRO lenses just some kits and some zooms - and I am happy with this (I cannot justify the price of the PROs for my hobby/enthusiast). I met up with 5 other like minded enthusiast photographers at Whitby. Whitby is great for landscape, seascape and as there was a steampunk event on - is one of the friendliest street photgraphy places going. We met in a cafe and admired each others cameras - the others had brought a mix of APSC, Full Frame and medium Format, Canon, Nikon and a Pentax. Most were mirrorless except for my Olympus and a Nikon Z. I am totally cool with whatever people shoot and as you would expect we all had a curiosity about the other cameras that we knew little about. For me I wanted to see the Sony backup but it was never used, for every one else had a curiosity about the Nikon Z and my Olympus. Appreciate that 6 is not a large sample but what became clear was that I knew very little of DSLRs and that they knew little of micro 4/3rds (and truth be told all my comments on the Olly could well apply to the Panys).

We all bought our best lenses - but what I could not get my head round was that all the lenses (except mine) had a handle - they were 12inches/30cm beasts with quite a thick girth. We were sat in cafe and the organiser (all decent people I hasten to add, no criticism of individuals) came out with this behemoth of a white F4 lens on his Canon and explained how well balanced it was. The rest handled the camera and lens and agreed. I looked at my little Olly with a 12-50 lens, absolutely dwarfed by this lens and honestly just wondered whether they were on a different planet. I still dont know why such huge lenses were necessary.

With 5 other photograhers and large cameras in tow, we set out and looked quite initimidating. I found myself disappearing away from the crowd to take the photos of the steam punks. It was the first use of the 45mm f1.8 lens and it is an immense lens - I need lots more practice. Taking photos of the steampunks with a small camera is highly recommended as it was far less intimidating and I could get a smile/laugh out of them.

Lens 45mm; f1.8 ; Face Detect
P2080062A1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P2080046A.jpg

At dinnertime, traditional fish and chips (most places at Whitby have great fish and chips), our leader pulled out his laptop and showed us Luminar Photo Editor as a post processing tool. It looked very impressive. I wanted to know what I was doing wrong post processing and so took out the SD card and he loaded up my photos. He took the RAW photo of a Turn Stone that I had photographed in the morning and made adjustments. They looked really good after processing but there was little improvement to the JPEG version straight out of camera - which is exactly what I was finding.

TurnStone JPEG - Straight out of Camera SOOC (138mm) - Lens: 40-150mm f7.1:
P2080080.JPG

The next question came "So why do you shoot in RAW and JPEG?". I then showed them the photo of the boat below (SOOC) - the morning was grey and so I go to the art filters for creative inspiration. The RAW holds the original colour photo while the JPEG holds the art filter equivalent and so I can rescue the original if I dont like the art filter. I showed them the bright yellow boat that stood out on the grey sea again taken in the morning. That moment was precious as they gazed open mouthed at the JPEG on the laptop. Curiosity had turned to admiration for the little camera.

Commercial Boat JPEG - Straight out of Camera SOOC - Lens: 12-50mm f10 , Art Filter: Partial Colour: (I know wonky horizon .. but this has no post processing)
P2080094.JPG

For the rest of the day, the light got better and better and I got my best photos of Whitby Abbey. It was defintiely worth doing a group photo finding some new angles and there was some real learning/understanding from the different interpretations of exactly the same scene (amazing how post processing can change so much). I would definitely go again.

Lens: 12-50; SCN: Panorama (x2 stitched via HUGIN); I find that panorama sets as VIVID - which I prefer for dusk pictures
P2080211 - P2080212C.jpg

Graveyard next to Whitby Abbey; Lens 12-50
P2080141A1.jpg

Paulb123

Mu-43 Regular
Great write up. Sounds like you and the group had a blast.
Thanks I did have a great time and would recommend Whitby at any time but especially on a steam punk or Goth weekend. The weekend near halloween is just one big fancy dress party and absolutely anything goes. A couple of photos from 2019 to show the range (evil harlequin and the counts bride). I have excluded - the various goths, the count, Spider Man, the boar war soldiers, the man with his face through a painting. And best of all - everyone are happy to have their photo taken. Just wish I had the 45mm lens then.
It does get busy so worth arriving quite early
PA270666A.jpg
PA270778a.jpg

TheLaird

Mu-43 Veteran
Great images and well done for getting out with a group. I really enjoyed your t3xt above ..I have an Olympus E-M1X after an E-M1.2 and feel my new camera is too big as a walkabout lens so am looking at another Olympus to go with my lenses.
So I may have a look at the 10.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Great images and well done for getting out with a group. I really enjoyed your t3xt above ..I have an Olympus E-M1X after an E-M1.2 and feel my new camera is too big as a walkabout lens so am looking at another Olympus to go with my lenses.
So I may have a look at the 10.
The EM10 is great, I have the MKii as my main camera at the moment... small, powerful, and beautiful to boot!

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
IMHO, as you discovered, the size of the lens does not matter in that kind of shoot.
You are not shooting LONG, so why a LONG lens?
The other is portability. I found that it is a lot easier on the old body not hauling a big/heavy kit around, if you do NOT need the IQ of the bigger gear.
As the hours roll on, the gear get heavier and heavier.

Paulb123

Mu-43 Regular
IMHO, as you discovered, the size of the lens does not matter in that kind of shoot.
You are not shooting LONG, so why a LONG lens?
The other is portability. I found that it is a lot easier on the old body not hauling a big/heavy kit around, if you do NOT need the IQ of the bigger gear.
As the hours roll on, the gear get heavier and heavier.
The reason I got the EM10 mark II is that I do a lot of hiking and so portability is a biggie. My friends have all owned DSLRs took them on walks and one by one no longer use them as they got too big to carry. I enjoy my photography and did not want that to happen to me. I will say though that this camera (and it is a personal view) suits me well - it consistently delivers great pictures, is super portable and super fun.
Re: the point LONG LENS - I had to look this up to understand the point you were making (I know - wet behind the ears). I really do appreciate the explanation. During the shoot I didnt think the kit held me back at all. I think this is because I am really confident with the panorama workflow now. And also having never owned a large lens I dont know what I am missing. Ignorance is bliss :)

Whitby Lens: 12-50, x3 panorama, Stitch: HUGIN
P2080033 - P2080035A.jpg

Lens: 12-50

Latest threads

Top Bottom