1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My first few hours with the E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lowincash, Apr 17, 2012.

1. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Well my camera came in yesterday, finally have the chance to use the 45mm lens that's been sitting here for almost a month now. I used it for about half an hour or so before needing to charge the battery.

First three things I checked on, the hum the lug nut and the buttons. These were one of the first few "fiasco" being discussed on other forums so thought I look into it first lol

People called it the "humming" issue, I could not hear it at all when I tried the demo at the camera store even with the camera right on my ear. But then again the store wasn't that busy but has ambient noise around. Listening to it at home at night with TV off and no outside noise, I can hear a very slight "whooshing" sound when camera is about 2 feet away from me. It is totally not as bad as some people made it out to be lol

Next I tried taking out those triangle things for the neck strap on the lug nut. I never use neck strap for cameras this small so I take those things out and just put a wrist strap on it. The lug nut does not get in the way at all but for some that triangle thingy might be annoying so I guess this is all personal preference.

Lastly the buttons. When I tried the demo at the store I noticed the buttons were soft and not as clicky as I'm used to on other cameras. I know this is due to the weather sealing but it's not too bad. After using it for a while I'm sort of getting used to it now. I do have to press some of the buttons a couple of times as the first press might be too soft. Only the D-pad buttons are super soft and requires a bit more pressure to use. Other buttons are fine.

Well here's a quick pic taken with my phone...

I'm very happy with this camera so we'll see how long I'll stay with it :D I was at my friend's house testing the AF in his room. He only had tv on and desk lamp in the corner on. I'm happy to say I was able to lock focus every time even when shooting away from the light and into darker areas :D This is already enough to make me want to keep it long term. My NEX-7 with the 24mm f1.8 lens would not have been able to lock focus in that room. I've tried. So yeah that was one of my main concerns and I'm glad it's positive =]

• Like Like x 9
  2. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    congratulations. :D

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    The silver is so handsome.

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Lovely looking combo so congrats and I hope it gives you everything you wish for.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Congrats

6. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thanks, I just ordered the 40-150mm R from Amazon this morning. They had it for $149.95 from J&R but now it's back to $299 for the lens. Weird thing was when I checked J&R site it was still listed at $299. We'll see what happens =/

7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Congratulations! The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is an excellent match for the chrome E-M5 and the two make for a handsome combination.

Enjoy! :2thumbs:

8. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thanks I love this combo a lot. It looks and performs great! :D

Btw the IBIS is awesome! At first I couldn't figure out why when using the 135mm legacy lens the image isn't steady and I couldn't get a sharp image. I now figured it out. The IS setting you can set the focal length of the lens you are using. I now have it set to 150mm and wow what a huge difference that makes. Now the half press shutter button and it freezes the frame. So far so good, just trying to figure this camera out. I don't believe in reading manuals =]

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    You'll be missing out on the full Olympus experience. :smile:

While I'm half kidding, I'm also half serious. The Oly cameras contain so much customizability (albeit disorganized). You're doing a small disservice to yourself and your photos by skipping out on the manual. Give it a quick skim at least, so you know where to look next time you're curious about a feature. :thumbup:

Congrats though - I wonder who will be the first to get a black body in the LA area. I hope it's me! (I doubt it though...)

10. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Most of the times I like to figure things out myself :D I don't think I've read manuals for any of the electronic stuffs that I've bought lol I think I'm pretty familiar with the Oly menus now.

11. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    What's the size of the whole screen on the back including the black boarder around the screen itself? (wondering what size screen protector to just cover the whole screen panel)

12. flaxseedoil1000

flaxseedoil1000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Post some pics or it didn't happen ;)

13. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I measured the screen, it's 3" long and 2" high. The actual screen size itself, not including the black boarder, is 3" measuring diagonally =]

Hopefully I'll take some this weekend. All the pics I've been taking are just random test snaps, nothing interesting lol

14. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    My first impressions? I am extremely pleased by my new EM5. Black looks awesome, the 12-50 is much tighter and better built than I was expecting, the grip will be critical for me, and the included flash is actually pretty cool. I'll likely only use it as a new trigger for my FL36r and FL50r big boys. As a left eyed, glass wearing shooter, the viewfinder ergonomics work fine; my nose has always had to rest on the back plate, I'm used to that. When I first powered it up, the back display was showing the Super Control Panel as well. About fifteen minutes of tweaking settings and this now pretty closely replicates my EP3's config. Very impressed Olympus.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3