1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My first day with the EM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m43man, Sep 27, 2013.

1. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    My EM1 is scheduled to arrive on Friday Sep 27, right now I'm too excited to know what to do with it on the first day. My right brain is telling me, "Just go out and click the shutter, Idiot." But the logical left brain is saying that I should do something more purposeful or meaningful. Here are some ideas:

1. Shoot on Friday and choose the best image to post my first-ever photo on mu-43.com :blush:
    2. Go outside (forecast to rain heavily) to test weather sealing :tsk:
    3. Spend Friday evening with gf first, then sneak out to test high ISO after she's asleep :shhh:
    4. Don't shoot anything, read the manual for the whole evening :coffee:
    5. Spend the whole evening configuring the thousands settings :protest_emoticon:
    6. Finish drafting my EM5 + grip Ad for sale to post on craigslist :Dexter:
    7. Just blindly test the continuous focus tracking with my Panasonic 100-300 lens :woohoo1:

Any advice? What do people do with their new cameras on the first days? :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Do all of the above in one day hehe

Congrats on your EM1

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Spend time with your gf. And find a way to make the camera second. I love to play with camera gear and gadgets in general, but my gal is just amazing. My camera (while admittedly not an EM-1) is just a tool. Time spent with the woman will mean a lot more down the road than how soon you wore out your shutter :)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I say, go out with the GF, have a lovely dinner, take pictures of her in a dimly lit restaurant, on the street while walking around, test CDAF/C-AF on moving cars, take the best shots and post them online, and then read the manual while waiting for people's reply in envy of your e-m1.

Ready...go!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  5. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I usually leave it in the bag and go to work. When I get home it's dark and I'm tired so I have a cold one and doze off...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's too much man :wink:You are just stressed ..the easiet thing is to ship it to my address and I will do all for u :happy-084::happy-084:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And spent rest of the week in hospital recovering from injuries as ur GF is gonna kick and punch u :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Why not get the girlfriend involved so she doesnt feel left out and abandoned !
    Take some pictures of her and post them here

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Put the battery on charge. Get out the instruction manual, put the kettle on, sit down and have a good read.

• Like Like x 2
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Remember, the most important consequence of your initial time with this camera is to amuse those of us on this forum, especially those of us not planning a near term purchase of the E-M1. Consider your actions wisely.

• Like Like x 4
  11. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I have a tradition, the very first actuation I have is of the most important people in my life. It used to be a picture of my wife, some better than others, a few I caught her off guard. Now it's a picture of my wife and daughter.

At least you know the very first image, no matter if you mess up exposure, get motion blur, etc, it's still a priceless capture.

• Like Like x 1
  12. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Isn't there a rule#1 on this forum where if you mention a woman be it gf or wife...you must post a picture???

just saying :tongue:

• Like Like x 2
  13. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Well, I know when I get mine (hopefully in the next week) is pop in a fully charged battery (I have a 2nd one just waiting with a separate charger. Then go through and set each and every setting to my liking to avoid possible frustration as I begin to work with it. Probably read the manual real quick(I have the online PDF so I'm ahead of the curve anyway). Bring out my 600R flash and check out the proper setting for ideal exposures when using the flash, and get that set right. Then slap on my 75-300 and test out the IBIS efficiency. Then run through the ISO settings in my dimly lit living room to see how it does. That's about it for starters.

• Like Like x 1
  14. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Don't you love it when tracking page keeps saying "On Vehicle for delivery" but they don't tell you when? They should really think about putting a GPS on the truck :)

15. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Thanks. But I probably won't have time for sleep! :tongue:

16. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Agree, but why does Olympus have to do this to me? Sending me a camera to play with, on the day after having been away for work, not seeing my gf for a week? :rolleyes:

17. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Mission Impossible theme song playing in my head. :cool:

18. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Especially on a dark, rainy, cold day like today here and a week of sleep deprivation later :)

19. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    :thumbup:

20. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I would but she said she recently gained a couple of pounds and doesn't want any pictures taken in the meantime :frown: