My first composite

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by robbie36, Mar 28, 2014.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I was slightly surprised that we didnt have an image thread for 'composites'. Doesnt anyone do them?

I have been teaching myself Photoshop for about a year now and was keen to try a composite. I shot the model at my home and the background is then made up of about 20 other images. The actual image is 10,000 pixels wide.

• Like Like x 8
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Nicely done!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Wow - how long did that take you?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

It's over processed - for my tastes...

However, it is quite awesome anyway, and looks like it should be a movie poster...

• Like Like x 1
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very nice! It has an grunge-steampunk feel to it.

One of the hardest things about mixing various elements into one is getting them to look like one and not pieces. I did notice a shadow missing for the red cylinder thing on the right side.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    It took me a very long time! Probably 20 hours editing in total (the Photoshop file was over 3GB.) There are a number of reasons it took me so long.
    1. I am not exactly fluent in PS - my guess is that someone decent at PS could do it in 4 hours or so.
    2. With a photoshop composite you have a lot of opportunities to put things right - it just takes time. With a photo you are basically stuck with what you shot.
    3. You have infinite opportunities to add, subtract and rearrange images. I actually took quite a lot of stuff out at the end because the image was becoming too crowded.

Anyways it is a great learning experience!

BTW you can see a larger version of the image in my Flickr account (see signature).
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hi Robbie,

Well done! I think that you should be very proud.