My first camera G1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by greye05, Aug 16, 2012.

1. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    So hello,
    I'm new to all of this and i wanted to get in to photography and since my budget was too tight I decided to jump into m4/3 and learn the basic and advance skills. So when i have enough money, move to probable nikon d7000 or the new model by then.

A few hours ago I bought a used g1 for $136 in amazon since i plan to shoot with legacy lens. My budget was 250-300 the less the better. Like 1/2 an hour ago i bought several things for it here are the list:

SanDisk 16GB 16G Extreme SD SDHC Class-$20.00
    Gorilla Pod Camera Tripod- $13
    Both lenses are like new
    Minolta MD MC Lens Mount Adapter to Micro 4/3- $14
    plus the g1
    total= $240
    So what is a good beginners software to process raw images, and where can i find good tutorials to shoot manual.
    I'm exited for it to get here but i wont have it in my hands until september i think since the G1 was shipp to Connecticut first to my uncle and he would shipp it to Puerto Rico.
    Any suggestion on lenses, accessories, beginners stuff are more than welcome.
  2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Congratulations, the G1 is a lovely camera and you'll have lots of fun with it :smile:. I sold mine last week and I miss it already :(. I think, you're all set for now but since you do not have an AF lens, I'd suggest that you look at a 14mm/20mm lens next. But more than anything else, learn to love your gear and accept it the way it is and it'll give you more memories than photographs :smile:. And last but not the least, welcome to the micro four thirds club.

And before I forget, you can look at lightroom or the silkypix that comes with your camera for RAW processing.
  3. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    The G1 is a very capable and fun to use camera. I still use mine I bought in 2008 and still using it a lot. For lenses, I could recommend the Pana 14mm f2.5. You can get one new into ebay for 170.00. I know you're gonna use legacy glass as I do, but you will notice how hard is to find a real wide angle in legacy glass, so, if a had to keep just one of my native lenses, it would be the 14mm for sure. I can suggest you the Industar 69 (28mm f2.8) in m39 mount and the c-mount Fujian (35mm f1.7), as they are very affordable and give nice IQ.
  4. tbhv55

tbhv55 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2010
    As others have said, the G1 is a very good and capable camera. I have had mine for nearly three years, and it still gets regular use. I frequently use a Jupiter J-8 on it, and the combination is a winner for me. I have no experience of Minolta lenses on m43, but the Minolta marque seems to have a good reputation generally.

I prefer to shoot Raw, but I know that many users say that they are happy with the Jpeg output from camera. You should try both, and see which suits your purposes.

The Silkypix software that comes with the camera has a rather difficult interface, but can produce reasonably decent Raw conversions, once mastered. Raw Therapee - although I've only used it briefly - seems able to produce decent results too. Another option (if your regular software supports DNG files) would be to convert your Raw files to DNG using Adobe's (free) DNG Converter.

Anyway, the main thing is: really get to know the G1, and enjoy it!:thumbup:
  5. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Thx everyone, really exited to get my camera. About cctv lens and m39 are they good and why are they so small. Whats the difference and what result the generally give.
  6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    The G1 has aged very well. As for lens performance, check the forum index/adapted lens image samples..there you can check out the different options.
  7. JkTsang

JkTsang Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 20, 2010
    James KS Tsang
    G1 is still my daily camera

I am still using my G1 daily, whenever there is a chance to go outside.
    This is a very capable camera, despite the many late models.
    A lot of photographer still says, good photography is not a result of top notch equipment. RAW capture is a better way to use this camera, the output is very different(more pleasing) than the JPEG processing.

The P25/1.4 lens is a must buy if you would like to explore the higher satisfaction out of this camera. I am not discouraging the use of legacy lens but one should not ignore the advancement of the latest product.

I hope you find the good use of this model. Especially there are few camera with the ergonomics of G1, I particularly like the grip, lots of buttons, and the EVF. There is nothing on the second hand market that can beat G1, at the same price/performance ratio, that can also support most of the legacy lens.