1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My first book with Blurb

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Krang, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I like what ya did. Now I'm concerned about the print quality issue.
    Please clarify as I'm in the process if doing a nook myself.
    Thanks...don

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The online preview looks pretty good, but obviously only you're looking at the printed pages. I've done a couple with Blurb now. The first one (The Mediterranean in (mostly) Black and White | Book Preview) with shots from a trip last summer printed really nicely I thought. I don't know that every page was as clear and sharp as an individual print, professionally done, would have been. But I was more than satisfied with them.

I have another end-of-year book being printed now (Re-Entry 2010 | Book Preview) and some of the images look quite bad in the online preview, but looked fine in the software when I was building it and I'm expecting them to look fine in the printed version. Should know in a few days or so...

-Ray

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There was an article in Popular Photography a month or two ago about the different photo book publishers. Don't recall if Blurb was in there or not, but they rated the ease of creation and print quality of several sources.

5. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    How and with what did you scan the Pola-pics?
    I have got two SX-70 as a gift and made already two oics with the Impossible Project colour-pack. The pics are a bit........strange....:rolleyes:

The second pack is in b/w perhaps a bit more conventional......

Cheers
    Bernd

6. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Thank you.

As for the print quality issue. I made the book with InDesing and I'm 100% certain that everything was as it should be (I should know, I'm also a graphic designer). The printed book looked like it was printed at a substandard resolution, but in strange way, not familiar to me. I showed it to my friend who is photography professional, and he said that he's seen similar results when pushing the speed limits of the printing machinery.

I'm planning to Contact blurb about this issue, when I have more time…

To silverbullet:

I was using a espon RX420 printer/flatbed scanner, with a maximum optical resolution of 1200dpi . I scanned my pics at 600dpi, but only used 300dpi in the final book, since they were 1 to 1 size. You can get really nice results with a regular flatbed, just remember to wipe it and the images clean :) I use a screen cleaning sponge for this…

The first flush color films were really miss and hit stuff, mostly miss… But I think that the B&W is just fantastic! Just remember that unlike the old films, the new films are really sensitive to light, when they come out of the camera…

Hope you like your film. The SX70 is such a nice camera.

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Krang,
    I certainly would trust your opinion more than a photographers.
    It's your profession, right?