my first - be kind ; sparrow hawk chicks

photo owl

Mu-43 Rookie
just got an E-P1, stuck a tamron 500mm on the front and shot this - I know I can do better, but am delighted so far

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvc5yxuuIXc"]YouTube - sparrowhawks.avi[/ame]

photo owl

Mu-43 Rookie
thanks BBW - my expectations were low as I was shooting with the sun behind the tree (subjects in evening shade) with a lot of wind, as can be seen with the tree, 500mm legacy lens etc I didn't even set the IS FL!

also surprised at the sound - better than I expected.

if they haven't fledged fully by Sunday I will go back and do it again properly with a tripod, DZ glass and 12 hours earlier!

photo owl

Mu-43 Rookie
interesting - in what way?

obviously this one has been very compressed on top of the shooting issues

rpress

Mu-43 Regular
Why does the tree appear to ripple left/right?

This is because of the rolling electronic shutter, used for video, present in most all CMOS sensor cameras.

An interline transfer CCD (used in a dedicated video camera) will have a global shutter that eliminates this effect by integrating all the pixels at exactly the same time.

globalshutter_cars_675w.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OPSSam

Mu-43 Regular
To reduce that rolling shutter effect, the only surefire method is to up the shutter speed. Of course that is not always preferable in low light siutations, it's the best way to get less jerky results. It won't beat the effect, but it will help reduce its appearance.

Latest threads

Top Bottom