My First B&W - An Apology

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by goldenlight, Sep 24, 2012.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I have had second thoughts about displaying this image, following reaction from several members, and I apologize for any offense I have caused. The picture was taken several years ago at a demonstration in London, held to draw attention to the attrocities that were happening in the Congo and the part played by the British Government in supporting the regime in the Congo, and contains some gruesome pictures held up by one of the protesters to publicize the shocking situation.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    It's difficult to casually discuss the photographic merits of this gruesome picture. Could you pick something a little more neutral?
  3. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I think the subject matter is in poor taste and disgusting.
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I appreciate the apology, it was a very graphic image - if you had included a warning in the title it probably wouldn't have been a problem. Folks who chose to look would have been forwarned and would have no reason to complain.
  5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Thank you. Amin did suggest I add a warning to the title, but when I became aware of the reaction to this image I felt I had made an error of judgement and that it would be best to delete it. I have no wish to offend my fellow members.
  6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Apology appreciated. I think there is a time and place for it (as photography is just another art form), but I think the imagery was graphic and merited a warning for user discretion instead of being posted directly.

I was shocked at first..again not necessarily opposed to it, but yeah certainly a surprise when you clicked the link to the thread.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Why do I feel the shock and outrage would be better directed, not at the photographer or image, but at the story the photograph tells?

The right picture may be worth not only a thousand words but perhaps a thousand lives.

I would like to see it reposted, with appropriate warnings.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I think "outrage" is putting it rather strongly and certainly none should be directed at the photographer. My feeling is that the content was both shocking and sickening and that perhaps this is not the place for either the photograph or discussion since this is not a political site. A warning certainly would not have gone amiss but there you go.
    • Like Like x 1