1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My first attempt at Time Lapse.

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by KBeezie, Aug 18, 2016.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Kind of had the general idea of it especially considering long exposures or doing HDR, ie: locking down most everything.

Since it was started at 6AM and I knew the sun was coming up soon I figured I would do aperture priority at f/4 with my 12mm f/2.0.

Can see squirrel(s) messing around in the tree in top right at about 20 seconds in.

What I learned :
    • Double check white balance as not to start a quarter of the way thru and notice that you have it set on tungsten for the rising sun.
    • Card ran out of space at 8AM, so in hindsight while I was correct in going with jpeg for my 16gb card, I should have picked a resolution closer to to what the video output would be (in my case 1920x1440) rather than the 16MPixel resolution in super-fine (~10MB per image).
    • Neighbors generally don't seem to notice a big aluminum tripod on the front porch with a camera facing the street, though least one slowed down a bit before passing the house.
    • Dragging and dropping the picture folder into Davinci Resolve 12.5 is rather painless and easy if everything was locked down and shot correctly, and if you're using a decent graphics card. (plus it's free software, so that's a bonus, though the output tends to be quite large even for Mov/H.264, which I re-encode using Handbrake for final upload [1GB output into 84MB re-encode])
    • Must make sure the intervalometer duration is longer than the exposure, which was more of an issue near 6AM where the exposure was around 15 to 8 seconds, much less of a problem as the sun came up and the exposure dropped to 1 second or faster for a 5 second interval.
    Could have probably figured that out just doing some research before hand, but sometimes the best way to learn is to just hit that wall yourself.

I'm probably going to try to do it again downtown when the weather forecast predicts mostly clear evening and just lock it down to manual mode and exposure.

• Like Like x 2
  2. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Learning is good. Try a night series on a clear, starry night.

3. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    That's my plan. I've already done a couple continuous photos that were long exposure (some including star trails).

Most Recent ones first. Long Exposure

And this one which isn't on the website above:
    p8141551_1280_by_kbeezie-daekeow.

I didn't have an intervalometer until this week, and the shutter release I have (which can be wireless or wired) didn't have a lockdown button.
    But the intervalometer has a lock down if I don't want to use it's own functions. So it'll be a little easier to do.

I know if I didn't want to use the intervalometer itself, I could always lock the shutter button down on the release, set the camera to continuous mode, and just use the anti-shock setting (up to 30 seconds) to act as an intervalometer. But that would mainly be useful if I only need it to be 30 seconds or less for each exposure, and I only had a release with a button and lockdown.

4. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Time lapse is fun to experiment with, enjoy.
    But uh.. nothing happened in yours. You can't even tell the sun is rising since it's auto-exposed. Just saying ;)
    Also the EM5 has a built in intervalometer if you didn't know.

5. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Technically it's not a built in intervalometer. Just an anti shock shutter delay which can act as one when on continuous shooting and if you have a release that can lock down the shutter (but it's only good for up to 30 second interval). Which I already mentioned.

But yea I did that bout an hour ago.

Did I mention it was a first attempt (like first ever, never done before)?

6. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    From this morning, I'm still processing the video created from the same sequence. Not the best evening to do it since it was a full moon behind me , with nearly 90% Humidity, but not too shabby for a practice run for roughly an hour exposure.

82NvrBe.

Edit

And the Video (1080p 60fps)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  7. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Oh you're probably right.. my EM10 has a "timelapse" mode that lets you set it however you like, I just assumed the 5 did as well. But I guess that must have been a new feature added to the 10.

Love the photo. For the time lapse you could consider batch applying your processing for the still photo to the frames of the time lapse before you assemble it. And maybe increase the frame rate, you can barely notice the stars moving.

Really not trying to give you a hard time by the way, hope it doesn't come off that way. My first experiments with time lapse were terrible. But I'm just assuming that you posting videos implies you want some feedback.

8. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    That's 60 frames per second. Though if I slice out half the frames I could do about 120fps worth of change in half the time out to a 60fps video.

Batch processing is what I did with the first neighborhood video, course photoshop crashed halfway thru and had to start from where it left off.

This is what I'm doing right now, manual exposure, ND grad filter and a polarizer. Bout 1 second interval with a 1/320 shutter with the sun going in and out of the clouds behind me.

4EYHxKLh.

9. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Haha yea you'd have to drop some frames. In the past I think I've compressed a hour of footage into a 5-10 second clip as opposed to 1min. But of course it depends on what you want it to look like.

Anyways good luck with your next attempt, looks like a good spot.

10. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Right now I'm at some trails, but it's mainly cloud cover, so I'm recording the moon illuminating the moving clouds. Curious to see how it turns out.

When I get home I'll try what you said, dropping every other frame so I can get a decent looking 10 second one,and process those frames for better contrast and highlights etc.

11. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    The traffic one was not quite what I expected (Some kind of effect making it seem like a repeated pattern of the same cars).

Then later in the evening when I attempted to get some stars, that failed quickly after 200-ish frames cuz thick clouds moved in and didn't seem like it was going to lift.

So I instead turned the camera around towards the moon that was still near the horizon (moon rise was around 9:36PM, this was started an hour after that).

Turned out much better than I expected, as I set the exposure primarily for the clouds, not the moon.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    have followed this thread watching your progress, this last one is a good step up and it's a very pleasing video, good work!

It takes some experimenting with interval, "fps", length. To get a movie that is enjoyable to watch. I have found it takes different settings for different subjects (not too supriningly), for instance, the sky moves slower than traffic and thus you can have a little longer interval when shooting sky. After a few times you get a hang of it. Good luck with further progress!

13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I've seen traffic time lapses done with some blur, possibly added in post.

14. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Definitely starting to kick goals with the Moonrise over Walker... :thumbup:

15. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    A slower version of the Moonrise one rendered at 24 frames per second instead of 60 with an audio track added of the same length.

With the slower pace, I can easily see at least three meteor or satellite go by.

By the way is there anything like this that works with Olympus?

Timelapse Plus Advanced Exposure Controller

That seems nice (and it's something they have at the college), but it appears that outside of triggering the shutter, it's main features are only supported by Canon, Nikon, and I think Sony.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Another one I did the night before last. I knew the moon was supposed to be rising shortly after 11:30 or so, but wasn't exactly sure where it would be coming from.

Also because it's right in the heart of downtown I wasn't expecting to see much in the way of stars, maybe just a couple of the brightest ones especially with the moon rising later on.

The moon itself didn't show in the frame until roughly 35 minutes after midnight as I watched it peek over one of the buildings. Funny how you can actually notice its speed with the naked eye when it's closer to the horizon.

A stack (some gaps as I once stopped the intervalometer for a few seconds to make sure "Lens Reset" was turned off in case I had to change the battery and to shoo away drunks):
    starstax_river_001_river_839_gap_filling_1920_by_kbeezie-daf81fe.

And a 4K Video (3,800 x 2,160)

Also I was somewhat concerned that I would probably have to change battery in the middle of the two hour session since as I understand it it's common for the E-M5 to only do maybe 350~400 shots off a single charge, less if you're doing long exposure with noise reduction.

However to my surprise I shot 850 frames, in RAW mode, and it only showed the 50% indicator about an hour and a half in, using a fully charged Wasabi Power battery (1300mAh 7.6v). I wrapped it up at 12:45AM and was still showing the 50% battery indicator.

Granted of course everything was pretty much locked down to manual. Manual focus, Manual mode, manual white balance, intervalometer doing the timing. Had the camera set for 4 second exposure. And I set the intervalometer to 10 seconds, allowing 8 seconds for the exposure and noise reduction and a little time for the shutter to get clicked again. The result was a slight half a second after the EVF Showed the live view and the shutter was clicked for the next exposure.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing

A short time lapse from about 3:45PM to 5:30PM (Aug 24th 2016) from the 6th floor of the Lyon Parking Ramp at GRCC.

The three tallest buildings in view is the Qwest Property Management building (don't know its official name), then the JW Marriott, and the Amway Grand Plaza. The green roof in the corner is the FED Galleries at Kendall college of art and design.

The Lyon Parking ramp isn't very stable feeling, a single car going up and down the ramp makes the whole floor wobble and in some cases changes my camera's framing by a few millimeters about 3 or so times during the sequence. So before pushing the images into Resolve 12.5 (free version), I ran the image sequence thru VirtualDub with the DeShaker plugin.

PS: This one did about 1450 photos before the battery indicator started flashing red.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1