1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My first attempt at street photography

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Chasmodai, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Chasmodai

Chasmodai Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    I finally decided to try to just shoot daily life, as opposed to what I usually do, but I find I am very uncomfortable just pointing a camera at people in public and taking pictures. Not sure why. Hopefully I can get over it; I'm trying to carry a camera whenever I got out now.

Anyway, I took a walk around a nearby small town yesterday, and found very little that caught my eye. First nice day, but not many people out and about in the middle of the work week. This was my favorite shot of the day. E-M1, 12-40 2.8 [cropped to get out the parked car and large grate in the sidewalk].

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 8
  2. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Nice shot. Looks like a quiet town, it's definitely easier and less intimidating shooting in busier places

3. DaninFLA

DaninFLA Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    Dan
    I have the same reservations about street photography. tips??

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Nice shot! I think most of us feel the same way about street photography, I adopt the philosophy that you don't have to get every shot, just grab the ones that you have opportunity to and don't let it completely overwhelm your outing. See, as seeing is more important than capturing, but capture what you see that you like.

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm not a big street shooter, but I'd definitely want something smaller and less obtrusive than E-M1 w/12-40. Maybe pick up a cheap E-PL5 and use with the 17/1.8? Better yet the GM1 with silent shutter.

Keep in mind that I always look for solutions that mean buying more gear...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Epl-5 with the pany 20mm is about as discreet as it gets, without compromising IQ

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DaninFLA

DaninFLA Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    Dan
    for you street photographers...how often do you get confronted by someone taking their picture?? I have taken some photos when in other countries but always went up to them first and asked if I could take their picture. I don't think I have the balls to just take pictures of strangers and risk getting into a confrontation.

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I am the worlds biggest coward... I would never dare ask someone to take their photo... yet I still do 'street photography'

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/sets/72157623465764094/

Its about seeing things, being prepared, being sneaky and taking lots and lots of photos.. thats how it works for me

K

10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,
    I've been shooting street occasionally for about a year... never been confronted. Have gotten 1 or 2 surprised/suspicious (not angry) looks.

One thing I have noticed in my pics is a lot of subjects seem to be looking directly at the camera, which I miss when shooting if shooting from waist-level.

There's a LOT of street photography articles, blogs, etc... one good way to read them is on FlipBoard which is a (free) iOS/Android app; they now also allow reading directly from a web browser.

Barry

• Like Like x 1