1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My first attempt at HDR photography.

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Mr Hahn, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    I started with my E-P2 and Oly 9-18 lens on a Manfrotto tripod. I bracketed 3 shots 1ev apart and used a trial version of the Nik HDR Efex Pro plugin for Aperture 3.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/56678159@N02/5266639316/" title="PC141236_HDR by Nate Hahn, on Flickr">"640" height="480" alt="PC141236_HDR" /></a>

I then Used a trial version of the Nik Silver Efex plugin for Aperture 3 for this B&W conversion.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/56678159@N02/5266654478/" title="PC141236_HDR by Nate Hahn, on Flickr">"640" height="480" alt="PC141236_HDR" /></a>

Thanks for looking,

-Nate

• Like Like x 3
  2. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nice, I like them both. Well done.

Good shooting,
    Otto...

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I think the colour version suits the subject better.
    But both are fine pics.
    Well done !

CU,
    Rafael

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Very effective Nate.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I like the colour one : great subject.
    I wonder what the results would be with a wider range of exposures.

6. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Thanks for the replies, I read a tutorial after I took this that told me bracketing 2ev is prefered, so I'll be trying this again along with other shots. One thing I've found is that HDR generates noise very easily and I may need to invest in good noise reduction software if I really get into HDR.

-Nate

7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Which Nik will be happy to sell you as well ;)

If you do buy it you can get the complete collection from Amazon for LightRoom discounted which has their HDR plug-in (down-loadable when you register) and noise-reduction plug-in along with several others.

8. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    I've also just started to get some experience with HDR, via Photomatix Pro 4.

You're on the money on the noise comment - I've seen it recommended that in RAW conversions, you turn off all sharpening and any other adjustments that can contribute to a gain in noise. This seems to help.

If you do some web searches, there are some good tutorials on use of HDR, the one that stick in my mind is from stuckincustoms.com.

There is also a site called HDRspotting, which features examples of HDR images from a variety of photographers.

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Looks great!

Looks great for your 1st attempt - certainly better than mine!
    Check out my Flickr page from link below. I'm shooting lots of HDR these days.
    I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.
    Happy Holidays