My first astro... stars over Hocking Hills

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by sprocket87, Mar 26, 2015.

1. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    I enjoyed a little cabin getaway last weekend in Hocking Hills, Ohio, and thought I would try some star shots with my E-M5 Mark II. This is my first time doing this, so I'm sure I made a lot of mistakes, but I did learn a lot too. This shot is 20x 8-seconds with the Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5, wide open at ISO 1600.

I was surprised how much light pollution there still was despite being relatively remote. Kind of a cool effect though. I had a great view of the Big Dipper and Jupiter (top center-right)!

stack5-X2.

I used DSS to make 2 stacks, one with alignment on and one without, and then used Photoshop to blend the static subjects around the frame to avoid motion effects. Not the greatest blending job in the world but hey, I'm learning. This is my first time using DSS or doing any kind of stacking. Tips welcome!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Shooting stars with the fisheye is a fun choice.

3. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Omg-I am camping there tomorrow night with the local Boy Scouts troop
    Not too psyched the temps are well below freezing for next too nights... But will bring gm1 to grab a few pics while hiking, and take my 7.5 fisheye as well

• Like Like x 1
  4. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    With all of the international participation on this forum, I think it's awesome to see two members post about an area less than one hour from my house. I hope you have clear skies with the Boy Scouts.

Matt

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Lol. I live in Reynoldsburg and that is only like a 45 minute drive from my house. We visit there frequently.

6. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Awesome! We managed to get a pretty good day last weekend; we arrived Friday evening just after the rain ended and Saturday-Sunday was beautiful. Ground was a bit soggy Saturday but oh well. I must go back when the leaves are out. Hope you grab some nice pics!

Cool! I should have gone before now, I live over in Dayton so it's only about 2 hours. No excuse not to go, really, it's an easy drive. Next time I will have to take more time to check out the hiking & caves, we mostly stayed around the cabin this trip.

7. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    All us Ohioans should figure out a cool location and go shooting together. The wife and I love just driving off in a direction and exploring. I usual end up finding something cool to write for my blog, VisualOhio. I find lots in the Dayton area to of interest, the Air and Space museum and Carrillon Park being the obvious choices.

Once this damn winter weather breaks!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Regarding the image - I like what you've come up with. Not tried that myself yet. Wondering if you'd considered using the Live Composite function and if so, how you thought it came out. Want to try it on my EM1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Thanks! I did try the live composite to help with framing and single frame long-exposures. It was almost too easy to get a nice long exposure shot and watch it develop real time. But of course the quality of a single 60 second exposure is going to suffer (star movement, noise, etc), so I just used it to get a feel for the composition before taking the final series of stacked photos.

10. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
  11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I must stop looking at peoples first attempts, they all seem so much better than anything I've managed on multiple efforts. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    I'm sure that's not true!

I stole some tricks from some recent posts in this forum, so I had a leg up on how to go about it. And Photoshop makes a huge difference... the original wasn't very impressive :D

13. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Perhaps that explains it then, I'm not good with photoshop...

I've managed a few that are bordering on the acceptable, but this is more like I was aiming to get!
    I was impressed with the last star shot I did - yes it was shakey & noisy, but even though it was handheld in a suburban garden my wife & kids were still able to recognise the constellation without any processing. I can't imagine even trying that 10 years ago. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    The hiking at Hocking Hills is fantastic, and I had fun playing with the 7.5 mm fisheye lens as well, especially at Old Man's cave on Saturday. These were de-fished using Fisheye-Hemi, and PP'd to deal with extreme dynamic range of light.

HockingHills50.

HockingHills84.

• Like Like x 1
  15. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    A couple more fisheyes from Hocking Hills on the GM1. The second one (at Rock House) is not de-fished.

HockingHills58.

HockingHills85.

• Like Like x 1