1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My first adapted equipment purchase

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ptolemyx, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    On Saturday, from a guy who buys abandoned lockers:

• A lightly worn, working OM-1 camera with clean internals
    • A working OM Winder 2 (single / sequential motordrive)
    • 50mm/1.8 and 28mm/2.8 OM lenses, very clean and with smooth apertures & focus
    • Tokina 80-200mm f4, near mint
    • Kalimar 500mm preset-F8 mirror lens in M42 with adapter, near mint
    • Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter
    • Rokinon 2x teleconverter
    • Working Vivitar 45 light meter
    • A half-dozen clean Hoya C-PL & UV filters in various sizes
    • Two cable releases & a bag full of square filters
    • To top it off, a working Yashica MG-1 35mm rangefinder!
    All for $120. Can't wait to try some of these lenses (my reason for buying) on my OM-D. My adapter should be here in a day or two. :)

The bag contained a couple of unopened film packages with expiry dates in 1990--so it's been sitting unused for a long, long time.

The OM-1 is really lovely; I've never held a vintage OM before and I'm already attached to the thing. I had forgotten how nice a huge OVF is.

I've already put a couple of rolls through it: my first film in over ten years. I haven't had them developed yet, but if any of the pictures are half-decent I'll scan & post here.

Finally, the Yashica contained a semi-exposed roll which I took in for processing--I was totally excited to see the results, but it was, sadly, blank.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Nothing like jumping right in. :wink: Now you gotta get yourself an OM adapter and see what those lenses can do on :43:.

3. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Yep! I've got the Fotodiox on order (can't beat that for $25). I'm hoping to see some useful character from the OM primes. Should be fun. :)

4. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    But beware. Once you focused manually with splitscreen, microprism and the fantastic OV of the Olympus, trying to do so on any display is a royal pita

5. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    No kidding! I'd never used that system until I bought the OM-1... it's awesome.

6. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

yea, I know how you feel. I came from just using the Minolta x700 & x370 SLR cameras, which reputed to have best and brightest viewfinders of their time. Also the Canon T70 for a short time, which has a great viewfinder too. Then I jumped into Digital with the Panasonic G1, body only with MD adapter. Yea Manual focusing was very annoying at first but then I got use to it. Not so bad, but I do not do much action photography and always take my time. Last year I did buy a 14-42mm AF Lens tho, for the quick shots you want to capture, but I find it not tremendously faster than focusing with my adapted Legacy glass, just tremendously smaller & lighter.

I use all my legacy Primes often because they are faster than the Kit lens equivalent. I hate using flash and I am often low light shooting, also i prefer the shallowest depth of field most times.

7. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    I still haven't got my adapter yet, but I'm really enjoying using the OM-1. It's a beautiful camera to look at, and the simplicity of the controls and the exposure meter are (please excuse the cliche) a true exercise in minimalist photography. It makes me think about my hobby from a different perspective, and I can already tell it will affect how I approach digital.

And yes, the legacy lenses are awesome to work with. :)

8. Alain

Alain Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    I have OM-1 since 1980 (I was 13, my first), used it until 2001. It's still on a shelf with its big brother OM-2, I look at it every day.
    Now I use its lenses on my e-pl1.