1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My first adapted equipment purchase

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ptolemyx, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    On Saturday, from a guy who buys abandoned lockers:

• A lightly worn, working OM-1 camera with clean internals
    • A working OM Winder 2 (single / sequential motordrive)
    • 50mm/1.8 and 28mm/2.8 OM lenses, very clean and with smooth apertures & focus
    • Tokina 80-200mm f4, near mint
    • Kalimar 500mm preset-F8 mirror lens in M42 with adapter, near mint
    • Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter
    • Rokinon 2x teleconverter
    • Working Vivitar 45 light meter
    • A half-dozen clean Hoya C-PL & UV filters in various sizes
    • Two cable releases & a bag full of square filters
    • To top it off, a working Yashica MG-1 35mm rangefinder!
    All for $120. Can't wait to try some of these lenses (my reason for buying) on my OM-D. My adapter should be here in a day or two. :) 

The bag contained a couple of unopened film packages with expiry dates in 1990--so it's been sitting unused for a long, long time.

The OM-1 is really lovely; I've never held a vintage OM before and I'm already attached to the thing. I had forgotten how nice a huge OVF is.

I've already put a couple of rolls through it: my first film in over ten years. I haven't had them developed yet, but if any of the pictures are half-decent I'll scan & post here.

Finally, the Yashica contained a semi-exposed roll which I took in for processing--I was totally excited to see the results, but it was, sadly, blank.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Nothing like jumping right in. :wink: Now you gotta get yourself an OM adapter and see what those lenses can do on :43:.

3. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Yep! I've got the Fotodiox on order (can't beat that for $25). I'm hoping to see some useful character from the OM primes. Should be fun. :) 

4. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    But beware. Once you focused manually with splitscreen, microprism and the fantastic OV of the Olympus, trying to do so on any display is a royal pita

5. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    No kidding! I'd never used that system until I bought the OM-1... it's awesome.

6. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

yea, I know how you feel. I came from just using the Minolta x700 & x370 SLR cameras, which reputed to have best and brightest viewfinders of their time. Also the Canon T70 for a short time, which has a great viewfinder too. Then I jumped into Digital with the Panasonic G1, body only with MD adapter. Yea Manual focusing was very annoying at first but then I got use to it. Not so bad, but I do not do much action photography and always take my time. Last year I did buy a 14-42mm AF Lens tho, for the quick shots you want to capture, but I find it not tremendously faster than focusing with my adapted Legacy glass, just tremendously smaller & lighter.

I use all my legacy Primes often because they are faster than the Kit lens equivalent. I hate using flash and I am often low light shooting, also i prefer the shallowest depth of field most times.

7. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    I still haven't got my adapter yet, but I'm really enjoying using the OM-1. It's a beautiful camera to look at, and the simplicity of the controls and the exposure meter are (please excuse the cliche) a true exercise in minimalist photography. It makes me think about my hobby from a different perspective, and I can already tell it will affect how I approach digital.

And yes, the legacy lenses are awesome to work with. :) 

8. Alain

Alain Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    I have OM-1 since 1980 (I was 13, my first), used it until 2001. It's still on a shelf with its big brother OM-2, I look at it every day.
    Now I use its lenses on my e-pl1.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.