My favourite glacier.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by squeegee, Jul 5, 2010.

1. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Some people have favourite bars, pubs, even cities.

I have a favourite glacier... well at least for now, it's receding :crying:

There are 3 lakes to Joffre Peaks.

The bottom lake, where in the distance you can see the peak (about 6.5 km away)
    [​IMG]

The middle lake is about 4kms up. As you get higher, the lakes get more and more emerald green. They are actually very very green but it was an overcast day so it made a lot of my colours look gray-ish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was also very very hard to take these pictures. Most of the time the sky blew out white at the same time as the trees going all black. I think that means I've actually truely hit the dynamic range limit...

The top lake which is at the base of the glacier - or use to be at the base of the glacier, now the glacier is way up higher...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final picture is from standing below the glacier looking back at the entrance to the top lake - in the general direction of the bottom lake. I'd be able to see the bottom lake if I climbed up on to the ice, but I had no gear with me.

[​IMG]

I love this place, it's isolated, far away, it's peaceful. The 6km hike up through boulders, trees, snow, past bears, cougars, and other wild life keeps most people away. Of course, if you get yourself into trouble here... you're in serious trouble. You'd have to hike 1.5 hours back down, then drive another 45 minutes before you could even make a phone call.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Do you have any detailed shots of the rocks, lichens and just the water as background, no sky? On days like that the light is nicely diffused and you can have lots of fun.... your last pic is most successful and inspired my query.

Bokeh D

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

You're very fortunate to have seen this place, squeegee, and many thanks for sharing them here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    no unfortunately I don't. For me I don't go around to take photos, I go around to see places and I happen to take photos so I'm not always thinking about things to photo unless I see them off hand...

you'll have to go in person to take your own photos :rolleyes:

5. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    oh wait, I lied, there is one, I think it's just a regular nothing-special plant thing, but it caught my attention because it was just growing out of the rock... quite litterally no real dirt under it (we'll maybe some specks but it looked liked it was growing right off of a rock surface).

[​IMG]

6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey squeegee I really enjoy number six on the first set. The side of the hill(s) form nice funnel effect and draw my eye towards the big mountain in the centre. I've never seen real snow before, but it looks as though it's interesting stuff. Is it cold there?

I visited the Snowy Mountains in NSW Australia but it was during summer and there wasn't a skeric of snow.

7. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Thanks, that's my favourite pic of the bunch too.

The term "cold" really changes relative to where you are :rolleyes:

When I was in Sydney, we called +12C cold...

When I was in Toronto, I remember talking to a friend saying "hey did you hear it's going to be warm tomorrow, it's going to be -1C!" Then I realised how absurd that comment was.

As for up at the top of the peak, it's early summer here so it was "warm", I think it was around +8C or so. They pretty much tell you the mountain is off limits in winter because it'll be way too dangerous and there's no good way of getting help to anyone up there either.

P.S. I'm headed towards Bris-Vegas! so I'll be in your neck of the woods shortly. (shortly also being a relative term...)