My favorite camera is no more.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by lenshoarder, Apr 13, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Over the last 3 years, my TX5 as been my go to camera. I still thinks it takes remarkable pictures, especially at night and especially for it's size. Today I think Songkran has done it in. It's a waterproof camera but the seals are supposed to be replaced every year on waterproof cameras. I never have. Now there's moisture all over the inside off the glass protecting the lens so that it's perpetually foggy. I knew it was failing when water got between the touchscreen and LCD while I was giving the elephants a bath last month. That dried up and went away but I left it in the sun for 2 hours late this afternoon and nothing. Someone sent me the L2 service manual for it so I'll try taking it apart and cleaning it, but even if I fix it, it'll never be my go anywhere camera again. It served me well. Even if unusable, it's earned it's spot permanently on the shelf.
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You know what they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, sorry to hear about the demise :( You can buy another relatively cheap, and also, the TX10 and TX20 are available for you to check out!
  3. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    I will take a moment of silence in honor of your camera :th_salute:
  4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    But was Songkran (almost) worth it?
  5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    In Albuquerque NM the Songkran celebration is on April 22; I'm hoping my E-M5 has come in by then. Are you in Thailand? I visited last November, spent a day at Patara elephant farm near Chiang Mai (wonderful!) and in general want to get back as soon as I can afford to do it. My travel companions picked up Denge fever in Sukhothai, but I was fanatical about bug repellent and weathered the different environment just fine. More than fine, actually.

And sorry about your beloved camera.
  6. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Songkran is totally worth it. Now what to do with the big super soaker?

There maybe signs of life. It had big beads of water over the lens last night. Right now it's just a fine film like I "huffed" on it. Maybe it is slowly drying out.
  7. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    IT LIVES!!!!!!!

The LCD is still totally messed up, but I stuck it on the window ledge all day with hope. It looked worse when I came back in the afternoon. The big drops were back. So I stuck it upright for the last 2 hours. Now it's completely clear. Its because of the construction. The TX5 is built like a regular camera with a shell around it. It's that outer shell where the seals have failed. Drying it out upright allows the water vapor to leak out the seals instead of recondensing.
  8. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    ...its a 24 carat miracle!!!!!