My favorite bird photography book ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Whenever these things happen, it occurs to me that it's more than likely several longtime well-respected members (and some of us who don't fully meet that description) are probably not the problem.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
All this talk about bitterns reminds me of a VERY BITTERn experience I had trying to photograph them back when I was using an Oly E-520 plus the 70-300 consumer-grade lens with an Oly 1.4 teleconverter. I had a spectacular chance to photograph one of these and for some reason (which I STILL don't understand) ALL my shots came out dreadful! I mean murky, blurry, etc. I was SHOCKED when I got home afterwards and took a look at what I thought were going to be my "great pictures of a bittern." Um, don't count your bitterns till they hatch. Here is a representative image (uncropped, unedited; downsized because it is dreadful to see at a larger size):

View attachment 877456

No amount of editing could help ANY of the images I took of that beastly bird. All I can think of is that it was a dark, dreary day, and they DO blend into the background very well, and I guess the camera wasn't focusing correctly. So it seems that their camouflage works to fool a camera (and people too unless you can find them initially with your eyes, which can be tough, I think).

Of course, the lens was consumer-grade, not nearly as sharp as the current m43 offering (the 75-300) and adding a TC to it made it even worse, but I had gotten what I thought of at the time as good images with it. For example, a Yellow Warbler (uncropped, unedited):

View attachment 877457

A little editing on that shot makes it look pretty spiffy, I think. I have a lot of other, similar results, but that bittern is something I won't forget anytime soon, especially since I've only seen one once since then (and got poor shots again with the same setup).

Nice puns.
Good shot of the warbler. The LBJs (or LGJs) can be hard.

I think you undersold the bittern. But your opinion is what counts. It's frustrating to have a shot not work and not be able to figure out exactly what happened so you can improve.

I think, sometimes, wildlife photographers don't have a clear motive. I know that happens to me.

Sometimes I get a great documentary shot to help with identification and proof of life, as it were.
Others, the image has more of an art quality and doesn't work so well for ID.
And then there's times when we don't know what we want.

Last night I was testing my bird ID skills by going through old photos. I came across a nice shot of Wilson's Snipe, but it was hard to see any of the stripes on the back (which is a key). But, of course, it's going to be harder to get the photo you have in mind when your subject isn't coop-erating. (Lousy attempt at a pun, for sure!)

Last edited:

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Everyone's entitled to their opinion.
I trust the Audubon Society's opinion over some random dude's on the internet.
Hi,
While we all are random dudes (or chicks) on the internet, many of the photographers you are arguing with here are highly skilled amateurs or professionals with a history of positive contributions (photographically and instructionally) to this forum.

Up to you whether you appreciate that, but at least try to be respectful. This isn't the DPR forum.

Thank you,
Barry
Moderator and Editor

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,
While we all are random dudes (or chicks) on the internet, many of the photographers you are arguing with here are highly skilled amateurs or professionals with a history of positive contributions (photographically and instructionally) to this forum.

Up to you whether you appreciate that, but at least try to be respectful. This isn't the DPR forum.

Thank you,
Barry
Moderator and Editor

Barry,
Thank you.
I haven't argued with anyone. It's not arguing to disagree. I have tried to keep this thread on topic, but internet bullies have hijacked this thread.

People commenting on my posting history, which is not relevant to this topic. seems like stalking.
I suggest you look at the title of this thread and read my first post.
I started this thread to commend a book that has helped me to increase my enjoyment of photography and life.

The thread was hijacked into a typical testosterone-fest of images, just like countless other threads on this and other websites.

Posting nice images and getting likes does not mean someone is a good photographer, nor does it mean they are a decent person. The latter is more important to me than the former.

Posting images doesn't necessarily help others increase their enjoyment of photography, as the book that I mentioned has done for me.

This thread was hijacked by bullies, whom I am now ignoring. I appreciate the moderators stepping in to stop that behavior. It reflects poorly on this website.

Peace.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you,
Barry
Moderator and Editor

Barry, you may as well lock the thread.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Hi,

Thank you,
Barry
Moderator and Editor
Barry, I agree with Ronnie (@Phocal), and your own post..

The "defence" being pleaded is exactly the same as that of the resident trolls in the FTs/mFTs fora at DPR ...

"Just trying to correct errors".

Make of that what you will.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Somehow 9 photos in 3 posts among 40+ posts is a "hijacked" thread and a "typical testosterone-fest of images" that sparks an angry rant against people posting photographs on a forum dedicated to photography. I just find it strange, honestly.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Have a pelican, or four ...

At Ricketts Point, Victoria.

OI000454-01_polarr.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Barry,
Thank you.
I haven't argued with anyone. It's not arguing to disagree. I have tried to keep this thread on topic, but internet bullies have hijacked this thread.

People commenting on my posting history, which is not relevant to this topic. seems like stalking.
I suggest you look at the title of this thread and read my first post.
I started this thread to commend a book that has helped me to increase my enjoyment of photography and life.

The thread was hijacked into a typical testosterone-fest of images, just like countless other threads on this and other websites.

Posting nice images and getting likes does not mean someone is a good photographer, nor does it mean they are a decent person. The latter is more important to me than the former.

Posting images doesn't necessarily help others increase their enjoyment of photography, as the book that I mentioned has done for me.

This thread was hijacked by bullies, whom I am now ignoring. I appreciate the moderators stepping in to stop that behavior. It reflects poorly on this website.

Peace.
Hi, My perception is that your earlier comment about 'random dudes' was disrespectful and antagonized many members here, leading to arguing and what you call bullying.

I strongly suggest you do ONE or both of the following:
A. Be more respectful / polite.
AND/OR
B. Grow a thicker skin.

You can't be rude and then get upset because others got upset.
You can't expect a friendly forum if you yourself are unfriendly.
But this IS a friendly forum, thanks to our members and moderators.

Understand that topics such as feeding birds are going to have many opinions. You're free to post about the book, but this is a forum and others may offer differing opinions.

Optional, but recommended:
C. Take a look at other posts and threads by the people you're arguing with. You may find they are usually friendly, knowledgeable, talented, and eager to share their knowledge.

D. There is no requirement that you share your own images, but you may find you get more admiration and respect from others if you do. That is a natural fact of human life, not a forum policy or demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom