My favorite bird photography book ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Sounds like a fine book, I'll definitely look for it. Tonight I verified that we have great horned owls hooting in our yard :cool: now to wander with the camera. Can the eM1.ii put me in silent mode?

If nothing else the audio is cool! Took a while to find an app where auto gain can be turned off. :polling:

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I trust the Audubon Society's opinion over some random dude's on the internet.

Yet you expect us to do that on a daily basis. Just so you know, I find your posts very amusing, and your credibility zero.

Now go ahead and explain how good you are.

BrentC

Mu-43 Veteran
I just realized you were talking about @PhotoCal and not me. Sorry, the names are so close that it even confuses me at times. You do know he/she will never do that? If they were going to they would have done so in their reply to you.

No worries. He/she keeps talking about all the great photos they take and likes to try and school others but we never see his work and they show no evidence he/she knows what they are talking about.

But I am glad you showed yours. Great shots as always!

BrentC

Mu-43 Veteran
No, they are not hard birds to capture. But they can be hard to spot.

As with any bird you have to see the birds first. They freeze and try to rely on their camouflage. It looks silly but seems to work, based on evolution.
So a picture of them would look like a picture of a bird standing still. Except it's a bittern.

And their surroundings can be a challenge due to their camouflage. It does always create the best picture, depending on what you are trying to accomplish photographically.

🙄 Your credibility gets less and less.

@Phocal, Brilliant, Ronnie :flowers_2: :clapping:.

I just don't get it. This is a photography forum. I like story telling and do a lot of talking in my threads but I show the photos that resulted from the talk. I just don't get someone on a photography forum spewing all kinds of advice and opinions not backing up their spew with photos. So I had to show how it was done since maybe they don't know how to go about telling a story with words and photos.

Last edited:
No worries. He/she keeps talking about all the great photos they take and likes to try and school others but we never see his work and they show no evidence he/she knows what they are talking about.

But I am glad you showed yours. Great shots as always!

So I lied and they have posted exactly three photos to the site and I believe all are with the Oly 100-400. Based on the photos I have seen I would guess this is their first telephoto lens as well first foray into bird photography.

First photo posted is an average photo of bird just standing on the ground in poor light. The composition is also very poor with the head (aka focus point) dead center in the frame. What makes me LOL is they wouldn't post a photo of a Bittern behavior because it would just be a photo of a bird just standing there yet here we have exactly that.

Second photo posted is an average photo of the moon.

Third photo posted is of a bunch of branches with a bird dead center in the frame and taking up only a small portion of the frame. It would make a decent environmental photo if the composition was better and not the bird dead center in frame. So boring and just an average photograph at best.

So you can use the above linked photos to decide how much you want to listen to their advise/opinion.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
All this talk about bitterns reminds me of a VERY BITTERn experience I had trying to photograph them back when I was using an Oly E-520 plus the 70-300 consumer-grade lens with an Oly 1.4 teleconverter. I had a spectacular chance to photograph one of these and for some reason (which I STILL don't understand) ALL my shots came out dreadful! I mean murky, blurry, etc. I was SHOCKED when I got home afterwards and took a look at what I thought were going to be my "great pictures of a bittern." Um, don't count your bitterns till they hatch. Here is a representative image (uncropped, unedited; downsized because it is dreadful to see at a larger size):

bittern.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No amount of editing could help ANY of the images I took of that beastly bird. All I can think of is that it was a dark, dreary day, and they DO blend into the background very well, and I guess the camera wasn't focusing correctly. So it seems that their camouflage works to fool a camera (and people too unless you can find them initially with your eyes, which can be tough, I think).

Of course, the lens was consumer-grade, not nearly as sharp as the current m43 offering (the 75-300) and adding a TC to it made it even worse, but I had gotten what I thought of at the time as good images with it. For example, a Yellow Warbler (uncropped, unedited):

warbler1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A little editing on that shot makes it look pretty spiffy, I think. I have a lot of other, similar results, but that bittern is something I won't forget anytime soon, especially since I've only seen one once since then (and got poor shots again with the same setup).

Last edited:

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
🙄 Your credibility gets less and less.

If you want to disregard my statements based on decades of experience as a professional and semi-professional photographer, that's your folly.

You seem to feel guilty for some reason. I can't help you with that.

I don't feel the need to go through my decades of pictures to retrieve images to please a random stranger.

I have posted pictures on this and other sites in accordance to my philosophy of pleasing myself and my clients. They might be helpful for you.

I don't work for free and I don't take requests.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If you want to disregard my statements based on decades of experience as a professional and semi-professional photographer, that's your folly.

Wow, I haven't seen a huge ego about what they write and that others should simply accept as gospel since our old friend "Einstein" whose account disappeared from the site last year. His arrogance about how much more he thought he knew than all of us and we should blindly accept his "facts" was very similar.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Um, hey folks, let's lighten up A LOT, please. I'm surprised this thread hasn't been "reported." It's getting a lot like DPReview, IMHO.

Wow, I haven't seen a huge ego about what they write and that others should simply accept as gospel since our old friend "Einstein" whose account disappeared from the site last year. His arrogance about how much more he thought he knew than all of us and we should blindly accept his "facts" was very similar.

The funny part about all of it is despite the following statement "If you want to disregard my statements based on decades of experience as a professional and semi-professional photographer, that's your folly." I can point to a thread they started and post they commented on where they are wrong, just plain wrong and to make it worse is it is two things that someone with decades of professional experience should have know and easily proven wrong.

Um, hey folks, let's lighten up A LOT, please. I'm surprised this thread hasn't been "reported." It's getting a lot like DPReview, IMHO.

I am sorry but when someone shows up going on about how they have decades of experience as a “professional” and that what they say is gospel and everyone should listen to them I’m going to call them out on it. Especially when they have only posted 3 very much average/amateur photos as well as created a post that was so wrong it isn’t funny. Don’t forget the comment about setting a lens down on its mount side with the cap on will damage to contacts.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Is that why you haven't shown any photos?

At the risk of being banned from this forum I wish to make people aware that I have had a warning from a Super-Moderator regarding my above posting.
He states that my post was "abusive, overly aggressive, threatening or insulting in my query" and inappropriate.

I replied that I saw nothing abusive, overly aggressive, threatening or insulting in my query.
I said that "On the contrary it was meant in a light-hearted way (as perceived by several members) in response to a person encouraging us not to take photos whilst not posting any himself, but admonishing others under the assumption that any they had, had been to the detriment of the subject".

It would appear that things are starting to take a turn for the worse on here and I don't think that it's me that's causing a commotion.
I've been asked to "tone it down" so I'm just making you all aware of the situation.

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
The entire thread is getting out of hand and doesn't reflect the friendly environment that we try to maintain. I elected to approach people privately rather than publicly. If folks don't lighten up and keep it friendly I will close the thread.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
At the risk of being banned from this forum I wish to make people aware that I have had a warning from a Super-Moderator regarding my above posting.
He states that my post was "abusive, overly aggressive, threatening or insulting in my query" and inappropriate.

I replied that I saw nothing abusive, overly aggressive, threatening or insulting in my query.
I said that "On the contrary it was meant in a light-hearted way (as perceived by several members) in response to a person encouraging us not to take photos whilst not posting any himself, but admonishing others under the assumption that any they had, had been to the detriment of the subject".

It would appear that things are starting to take a turn for the worse on here and I don't think that it's me that's causing a commotion.
I've been asked to "tone it down" so I'm just making you all aware of the situation.
As I said about your posting earlier (above), I agree that you were not being bad in the way the moderator said, and appeared to be just making a joke. The problem is that it required taking some time reading the post you were responding to in order to realize this. In other words, just reading your post alone or not stopping to think about what you said IN CONTEXT, it DID make it sound nasty, I think.

The odd thing is that there have been several posts after yours that are a lot more aggressive, I think. But you got grabbed. It would be good if the thread just lay fallow for awhile, IMHO. Except perhaps to admire my beautiful Bittern picture... ;)

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Well, I'm big enough to apologise if that's the way it's been taken.
BUT given the context of the individual in question's posting on this and other threads, I'm beginning to feel like the innocent party here.
I'll also apologise to @RevBob for putting him in this awkward position too. :sorry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom