1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My Faulty M1.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by emmbeedee, May 15, 2018.

1. emmbeedee

emmbeedee Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2017
    So a week ago my M1 died, and no matter what I tried, it would only click, but not turn on. I tried a number of things: new batteries, different memory cards, no memory card. Nothing changed, so I called Olympus.

They suggested I send it in, and for $180 US would fix it, no matter what the problem was.

I did send it to them on the 7th, and called Monday when their "Customer Service and Repair Center web page said it had been received, and was "waiting for approval". I approved the repair and paid with my credit card.

Today I got notice that the camera is on its way back to me after this was done:

REPLACED SHUTTER ASSEMBLY, REAR DIAL ENCODER, EYE CUP. RESET STRAP EYE LET. CLEANED IMAGE SENSOR AND CAMERA BODY. ADJUSTED SHUTTER SPEED, IMAGE STABILIZER, IMAGE SENSOR. RESET CAMERA BODY TO FACTORY SETTING. UPDATED FIRMWARE,TESTED AND CLEANED.

Seems like a bargain to me, and amazingly fast!

It's too bad it broke but with how complicated these things are, it's surprising they're as reliable as they are.

Thanks Olympus.

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. jp300

jp300 New to Mu-43

Mar 23, 2014
    Definitely a bargain -- money well spent!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It's nice that they check everything when it's serviced. I sent mine in with a shutter problem and they went over everything as well, similar to what they did with yours.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    That is a great deal!

• Like Like x 1
  5. emmbeedee

emmbeedee Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2017
    Unfortunately WiFi is not working so it has to go back. 1f641.

Display says: WiFi Starting up. WiFi Shutting Down.

Probably forgot to plug the antenna in or something.

Damn.

• Sad Sad x 1
  6. lookmore

lookmore Mu-43 Regular

Aug 15, 2016
    Just for info, do you have an idea about how many actutions you got before the shutter failed?

7. emmbeedee

emmbeedee Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2017
    Last time I checked over the Winter, it was around 26,000, I think.

8. emmbeedee

emmbeedee Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2017
    Yeehaw! My M1 is back from the WiFI problem fix. They also replaced the battery cover for no extra charge.

And it sounds like they will be sending me a new battery cover for my M5-2 as well.

What nice people to deal with.

• Like Like x 3
  9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Curious, where did they have you send the camera? Just wondering if Precision Camera is still their go to repair facility.

10. emmbeedee

emmbeedee Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2017
    This is where the cameras are repaired:

Trinitek Electronics, Inc
    Mississauga, ON L5L 4L3

11. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Are you in the US? Your post indicated US dollars so I just figured you were in the USA.

12. emmbeedee

emmbeedee Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2017
    No, Canada. And since Olympus doesn't sell parts in Canada, unfortunately, they are sending me the cover for free.

My sig does say where I am.

13. emmbeedee

emmbeedee Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2017
    My shutter count on the camera's return:

E-M1 Shutter Count.

14. emmbeedee

emmbeedee Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2017
    A fairly big box showed up on my front porch today. I couldn't remember ordering anything, so imagine my surprise to find it was from Olympus.

Unfortunately it wasn't heavy since it was almost entirely air. Olympus had Fedexed the battery cover for my M5-2!

IMG-7806.

Very happy to see that.

Thanks Olympus!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.