My experience with M43

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Bjarne, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Bjarne

Bjarne Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2015
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Bjarne
    Very nice system. Specially for the compactness, ease of travel. I have a Nikon system, D7000, a Tamron 2.8 zoom, 50mm, filters, tripod etc. I had a 70-200mm 2.8, which i sold to buy a E-M10. Never regreted that decission. I have played a lot around with adapted lenses. Some i Had, some are Ebay buys. My experince is that it is very difficult to get usefull results. You do really have to take two or tree shots to get one in decent steady fokus. Maybe its my eyes, but its fun to play around, but never really will be a hit.

It started with the GX1 with the 14-42. A lovely easy camera. Used it on some occations and vacations- I never really missed the big Nikon, especially not in transit. Never the "this photo could use the Nikon" in my mind. Almost always really nice photos.

A read a lot of blogs, vlogs ect about merging to M43, before I decided to chip in the big heavy almost never used Zoom for a E-M10 and a olympus Grip. ( I have large hands ). I will never go back to the Nikon- I do still use it with a 50mm for repro or studio work. But i'm shure a result with the oly and 45 1.8 would be just as usefull. Maybe the Nikon its just an old friend thats hard to let go of, but it allmost never leave the house anymore.

I used the Nikon to shoot the pic today. Gosh it felt good in the hands, but i just im tired of dragging it around. Now i'm waiting for spring and light to come back. I'm scandinavian, so January is pretty dark and grey.

In the picture, GX1 with 14-42, E-M10 with adapted (mc) Tokina 300 5.6, Zuiko 200/4, Mamiya 135/2.8, Nikon 50/2+105/2.5+55-200vr, Sigma 105 macro (nikon af mount). 45 1.8 oly and Lumix 20 mmII (step up ring to fitertread 52 mm), Cheap fisheye converter 52ø.

My next larger purchase would be som kind of extreme wideangle ex 7.5 mm. I really dont like the fisheye converter very much. Its big and bad. So before 2016 is over, it will go permanently in my private museum. I'm sure of that. I dont use zooms much. But i Would die for the 40-150 oly and a 1.4 converter. I love the super sharp results of a prime. Ex the Mushrooms, which by the way is cropped to about 1/3 frame.

Im into Nature, street, travel, family, studio. Just misses the time. Hope this is usefull for newcomers.

Sorry for the bad english, hope it makes sense.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  2. Bjarne

Bjarne Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2015
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Bjarne
    By the way. I do never do video much, so go elsewere for info of that.

3. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I can't comment on your English but your American is excellent!
    Bobby :coffee-30:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. tc333

tc333 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 25, 2015
    I just got into MFT myself to have a more compact system. As much as I love to use my D7000 with 16-85 & 70-300 VR lenses I am getting tired of the bulk and weight. So my annual trips to Italy and USA this year will be with the G7, 12-32 14-42 & 45-175 with my old Canon G12 as my trusty back up. So much lighter :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bjarne

Bjarne Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2015
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Bjarne
    You are so kind

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    I am with you. I started my personal photography's history with m4/3(except my old canon P&S which I never could attached to), and went to more "advanced" Nikon DSLR system for some stupid reasons(shallower DOF, more pixels, cleaner high-sensivity shot, all the equivalencies things... you know what those means), and then switched to film cameras including medium format antique cameras like Hasselblad V or Pentax 645, and just returned to M4/3 and stitching with it for long. There's no absolute best camera system for everyone as each systems has its own pros and cons, but M4/3 performs best for me.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bjarne

Bjarne Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2015
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Bjarne
    True. A M4/3 that you actually have brought with you, is the h.. l of a lot better than a system you leave at home, because you feel like a freak wearing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tc333

tc333 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 25, 2015
    I am one of those who do not let what others think control my life so will keep using the D7k Nikon with the 70-300 which looks silly extended and with a lens hood attached ;)

9. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Are you doing CAF? What do you find better with the D7k and the 70-300? Just asking because I had a d7100 with the 55-300 and found nothing better with that system. I moved to m43 and found I didn't miss anything. The 55-300 wasn't up to CAF anyway.

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The wide zooms are great.
    I use that old 9-18 but I hear the 7-14 (I think there are two...) are even better.

11. tc333

tc333 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 25, 2015
    I can not yet compare as have not tried CAF on the G7. However I have a excellent copy of the 70-300 which is very sharp wide open at 300mm and it has been a pleasure using it with CAF. I did not get into MFT so that I dispose of the DSLR gear but to complement it. Pretty sure I will grow to love my MFT kit as much :)

I did try a 55-300 but was not too impressed with sharpness at long end but may have been a poor copy though it is known to have slow focus from what I have read

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  12. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    I came to m43 via Nikon. I started with a d3100 and kit lens, then added a 35mm 1.8, then sigma 10-20, sold the kit lens, then added a 70-300 vr, then 85mm 1.8...then the d3100 went and a d7000 joined..and batteries and Lee filters, remotes, flash, a raynox by which time I had 1 rucksack and 1 sling and a bad back.

Then a friend mentioned m43 and I looked into it...hmmm..small. Ooohh, sharp and loads of detail...worth a punt maybe...they say m43 doesn't do Motorsport though....deep breath and the Nikon stuff and filters went and I started on m43 with an em-10, kit lens and 45mm..then came a 75-300 and 60mm macro...and a Nissin flash..bit of a FL gap was filled with the 40-150R.

Hmmm...time for the rucksack to be sold as all this stuff goes in the sling now...my back threw a party :bravo-009:

Wanted a little lens for pocketability, so a p20 arrived which was awesome but a little hit and miss in low light. Last spring, I sold the em-10 and kit lens and got a mint e-m1 ( total upgrade cost £65 :drinks: ). The p20 went and was replaced with the o25...Got a little fed up having "the wrong lens" so the 45 went, along with the 60mm and the flash which I wasn't using, and was replaced with a 12-40.

Fancied something wider but cheap ( don't we all ? ) and the samyang FE looked perfect..but manual ? Will I get on with manual ??Hmmm...shall I, sharn't ? Hell yes..

So to the present, the 40-150R has gone and will be replaced by the p35-100 2.8 when I can find a mint used one at the right price. I'm sure I'll continue to juggle lenses but I want to keep everything in the sling as it's easier to haul around.

Oh, and I added a rx100 mk2 to replace my xf1 for when m43 isn't small enough.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bjarne

Bjarne Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2015
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Bjarne
    I would not sell my p20. I just love it to much. It performs exellent. I dont miss a zoom. Maybe a telezoom for those days at the zoo.

The 7-14 pro is nice. But a little pricy. No doubt it seems worth it. The 7.5 samyang is in my opinion a very good alternative.

14. Bjarne

Bjarne Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2015
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Bjarne
    The performance of the 20mm

Attached Files:

15. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    There's no doubt the p20 renders beautifully and is razor sharp but when I used it in low light ( customer's warehouses for example ), it hunted a little too much for my liking.

Admittedly, not the end of the world but I decided it had to go..

16. Bjarne

Bjarne Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2015
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Bjarne
    I'm used to Screwtype pre af-s nikon autofocus. Do not tell me about hunting slow af. I know allready. :)