Review My EPM1 Review

taran

Mu-43 Regular
Quick question -- what color is your body? No idea if that would impact things. Mine is white.

I have multiple colors, and they are all the same. Metal front, plastic back.

WolfBane

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for all the info, especially WT21 :biggrin:

I'm new to the forum and was torn between a Panasonic GF3 (like the look of the 14mm lens) and the Olympus Pen. Have just ordered the E-PM1 in silver :2thumbs: and will pick up a second hand Panny 14mm sometime. Versus the GF3, the Olympus gives me a hotshoe, the option (at a price) of a viewfinder, and IBIS (even though it gets poor comments on this thread). The customization (eg for Focus Assist) was a big plus.

I've got an Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 prime and quite a few Pentax lenses, so hopefully will make use of them too!

Thanks again.

Mu-43 Legend
WolfBane said:
Thanks for all the info, especially WT21 :biggrin:

I'm new to the forum and was torn between a Panasonic GF3 (like the look of the 14mm lens) and the Olympus Pen. Have just ordered the E-PM1 in silver :2thumbs: and will pick up a second hand Panny 14mm sometime. Versus the GF3, the Olympus gives me a hotshoe, the option (at a price) of a viewfinder, and IBIS (even though it gets poor comments on this thread). The customization (eg for Focus Assist) was a big plus.

I've got an Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 prime and quite a few Pentax lenses, so hopefully will make use of them too!

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new camera! Dont forget to post some pics when you can.

epsilon

Mu-43 Rookie
I believe it's smaller than Nikon V1.

You can use a remote control w/hold button (can be as little as $5 on ebay). I use wireless shutter remote so no need to use any tricks. I will be doing time lapse of the upcoming christmas dinner. 3 hours in 2 minutes is fun and easy to share with relatives and friends. I did a trial run today at 4s interval, a little too fast. I think 2s is about right for people/indoor activities. I am also trying out diorama art filter in video to see how it compares (looks like time lapse)

what is the brand of the wireless shutter remote that you brought from ebay?

jgmankos

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
Ok....I think I read through the whole thread and didn't find an answer....

Where did the black stick-on grip come from? I want one!

20111130_006_resize.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
20111130_010_resize.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Get a grip!

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
I used the EPM1 as a backup on a trip to Asia, and it's a very capable little shooter. I ended up giving it away whan I knew the E-M5 was on its way,but only because I shoot manual exposure most of the time and I found it to fidgety with the EPM1, which I tended to keep on aperture priority. But with the 20mm pannie on the EPM1 and the Olympus 45mm on the E-P2 most of the time, I got a fair number of keepers among the 4500 shots I took in Thailand and Laos. I would not hesitate to use it again on a trip to keep the bulk down (except of course I gave it away!)

everythingsablur

Mu-43 Veteran
Lawrence A. said:
I used the EPM1 as a backup on a trip to Asia, and it's a very capable little shooter. I ended up giving it away whan I knew the E-M5 was on its way,but only because I shoot manual exposure most of the time and I found it to fidgety with the EPM1, which I tended to keep on aperture priority. But with the 20mm pannie on the EPM1 and the Olympus 45mm on the E-P2 most of the time, I got a fair number of keepers among the 4500 shots I took in Thailand and Laos. I would not hesitate to use it again on a trip to keep the bulk down (except of course I gave it away!)

Sounds like a great trip! Would love to see some of your favorite keepers.

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
Sounds like a great trip! Would love to see some of your favorite keepers.

It was amazing. I've started to go through everything from raw in Lightroom, including what I'd already done in Olympus Studio, then I'd like to post a collection of some of my favorites. I posted a bunch from jpegs while I was traveling, preparing them on a netbook without much calibration. But they give a down and dirty idea of what I encountered. They are at Asian Adventure: Ready or Not

I hope to get better versions up at some point.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just re-read the orignal post here about the E-PM1. It's funny. Like the OP I really like the camera, but disagree with two main points:

1 - I find a grip to be absolutely essential. The rubber thumb grip is nice, but my thumb tends to stray to the left. I added a FlipBac grip. Without it, or something similar, the E-PM1 is not a keeper for me.

2 - I found the 25/1.4 to be too big and heavy for this little camera. Just traded it for a 20/1.7, which seems like it will be perfect. With a camera this small two-handed shooting is kind of uncomfortable for me, and the 25/1.4 created balance issues one-handed.

Mu-43 Legend
I just re-read the orignal post here about the E-PM1. It's funny. Like the OP I really like the camera, but disagree with two main points:

1 - I find a grip to be absolutely essential. The rubber thumb grip is nice, but my thumb tends to stray to the left. I added a FlipBac grip. Without it, or something similar, the E-PM1 is not a keeper for me.

2 - I found the 25/1.4 to be too big and heavy for this little camera. Just traded it for a 20/1.7, which seems like it will be perfect. With a camera this small two-handed shooting is kind of uncomfortable for me, and the 25/1.4 created balance issues one-handed.

Funny you say that!

1 - I ended up adding little rubber furniture feet just about 2 weeks ago. I don't like the larger, pre-made grips, but this has really helped.

2- I sold my 25/1.4. I still think it's a fab lens, and one of the best in the m43 fold. I sold it because I needed money for a DSLR for better C-AF and I needed a 20/1.7 for travel. I wish they had a 20/1.7 ii with faster AF. I will likely get the 25 again. Maybe after the OMD comes down in price, I might get an OMD + 25. Still love the lens, and still love the output with the EPM1, but I agree. On such a small body, the 20 is a better fit.

On the EPM1, though, the ONLY way I'll give up my EPM1 is with the new OMD sensor. Otherwise, I just love it, and I can't see giving it up.

capodave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
The 20 is always on my E PM1.
I love this combination.
It may not be my best camera or lens, but is the one I use most often, usually with very good results.
I got a used Gariz case and hand strap from a member of the forum, and with that combo, shoot one handed with ease.
The Super Control Panel and small form factor makes this a very nice point and shoot.

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
The 20 is always on my E PM1.
I love this combination.
It may not be my best camera or lens, but is the one I use most often, usually with very good results.
I got a used Gariz case and hand strap from a member of the forum, and with that combo, shoot one handed with ease.
The Super Control Panel and small form factor makes this a very nice point and shoot.

For me, it's the 14mm. Even better fit with the tiny E-PM1 body, makes it even more pocketable, and unlike the 20mm it focuses lightning fat. Obviously you have to like the wider FOV, but it's a great combination. And with 14mm's going for as little as $160 (new, on eBay) it's a very compelling option even if you already have the 20mm.

redington

Mu-43 Regular
Just got mine yesterday. I'm still learning a lot. I love the look and feel of it. I've never used an Olympus before and I havent used a digital ILC before. The more I use it the more I like it. When I first got it I was very disappointed with the low-light performance.

The deeper I get into the settings and the more I understand about what I'm doing, the better those things get. I love handling the camera, though I don't love the feel of the lens. The performance of the lens is fine, I just don't love all of the plastic. I'm anxious to get an adapter for my fd lenses to see how it feels and performs with those. I'll add on to my impressions when I have a few more days with it.

GTCoupe

New to Mu-43
Just picked up the E-PM1 for $336 with 14-42 lens at the local store. There's a $50 cash back promo running at the moment bringing the price down to $286 AUD.

Took a few quick snaps tonight and the wife was amazed at how well they turned out. A great little investment for sure.

Latest threads

Top Bottom