WT21 submitted a new resource:

My EPM1 Review - My EPM1 Review

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 78
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Man, that white E-PM1 looks good! I'm tempted to sell my black E-PM1 and get a white one! :tongue:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Offriver

Offriver Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2011
    Nice review! Beautiful setup! I love the white e-pm1 w/ the black lens & vf2 - looks awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    One thing I like about the white body and my old silver EP1 vs. my all-black EPL2. The VF2 is rubbing off paint on the hotshoe of the EPL2. No issue with the white or silver bodies, as there's no paint to rub off :)

But I do think the EPM1 body in black is also super attractive, but since I had an EPL2 in black, I wanted to try a white body. Jonathan -- I see from your other post that you have the opposite: white EPL2 and black EPM1).

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the great user review. I've been thinking of replacing my GF2 with the EPM1. Perhaps when I get more fundage. :tongue:

BTW I think white is actually a great color for a camera. My GF2 is white and it looks splendid. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Great review - it does look pretty awesome in white with the PL25 mounted!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Staff Member Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    very nice review!

• Like Like x 2
  8. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Get a grip!

• Like Like x 10
  9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have the E-PM1 and agree with all your findings. I read where you have assigned the 14-150 to your E-PL2... but I'd love to get more feedback on how it looks and works on the E-PM1.

• Like Like x 2
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm just assuming with the IBIS issues, a lack of grip, the fact that the body is small to begin with, and the slow lens (f/5.6 at the long end) that it's not the best fit, nor is the EPM1 body really for something past, say 50 or 100mm (unless maybe if the lens itself had OIS).

Since I need two bodies (my wife keeps borrowing one of my cameras), I just assigned the longer/legacy lenses to the better IBIS. It's a worthwhile question, though. I can't say that I did any testing, and in bright light, the IBIS would be a non issue.

11. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Very nice review, Bill. Question though - has the size of the focus area improved (decreased)? I have only used the E-PL1, and I assume the E-PL1 has the same focus area size as the E-P1.

• Like Like x 2
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Hi Hyubie,

The AF area was only big on the EP1 (and maybe the EP2?) With the EPL1, all the Oly's inherited that decreased focus area.

Even more useful, though, the newest pens (EP3, EPL3 and EPM1) have a faster processor/bigger AF brain. I noticed this on my EP3, and it's carried over into the EPM1, too. The camera is MUCH better at focusing on the subject where you focus point is on. The EP1 would always grab the brackground, the newest pens are very fast, and much more sure (though still prone to errors that all CDAF systems are prone to).

Two thoughts:

1) perhaps someone with an EPL1 and one of the new pens could compare/contrast?
    2) I know you have a G3. When I tried the G3 this week, i discovered their very fine AF control (I think they called it "pinpoint AF"?). That's still better than any of the new pens for "small box" AF.

13. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Great review. Just recently traded for an E-PM1 black body and awaiting its arrival tomorrow. I will still have to purchase the PL 25 sometime in the future. For now the 14mm will probably my main lens for it.

I am looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the information.

Any thoughts on the infamous rattlesnake sound with the PL 25?

• Like Like x 2
  14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The sound is there. It doesn't bother me. It's better in some conditions, worse in others. Better on my EPM1 than it was on my EP1. The output of the lens makes the sound disappear in my mind. That $440 price from Panny over BlackFriday weekend would have made this lens a complete no-brainer. Even at the $599 I paid for it (ouch) it's still worth it to me.

15. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    That price indeed was low but only if you have that amount to spare. I can only drool and dream about it for now.

I agree with what you said about the sound getting drowned by the lens' output (I am guessing you are referring to the image quality).

• Like Like x 2
  16. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    I admire your enthusiasm but I'm not sure why you're comparing it to a 5D? Surely the only thing in common is the focal length of 50mm? It's not true f1.4 and image quality is a long way behind, or am I missing something?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Great review. I'm loving my E-PM1. I assigned Rec button to AFL (I don't use AEL usually). I've been using this camera for 3 months now and I'm still getting excited every time I get to use it cause it's just such a joy to shoot with. I agree about AWB, no camera I've ever tried could even come close in artificial lightning w/o any presets. It really does seem like magic. I'm mostly using E-PM1 w/Panny 14mm and it feels far smaller and lighter than my E-PL2. I also love using Oly 45 with E-PM1 - super fast face detect (w/eye detect) and always perfect skin tones (mostly due to magical AWB). I was shooting portraits with Canon T1i + nifty fity last week indoors. They all came out horrid - skin is yellow brown, no WB preset was suitable. Files required substantial editing to be usable and I still was not able to adjust WB in LR to achieve pleasing enough skin tones (not even close to E-PM1 SOOC output). They required sone careful hues adjusment (not fun at all, hobby should be fun).
    Glad PL25 works out for you. It didn't for me. It's just way too bulky (3x size of Panny 20mm), heavy and noisy while AF speed is not nearly as instantenous as Panny 14. I think even if it'd be cheaper than Panny 20 I'd still prefer the pancake (I'm in m43 cause of size primarily). I do like PL25 output and bokeh though (but then Oly 45 is way better and smaller).
    My only negative about E-PM1 is that the boundled flash can't bounce unlike E-PL2's built-in flash. The IBIS is useless on E-PM1 but it's not like the competition has this feature anyway.

• Like Like x 4
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    First off, just want to say I love your work. Visited your gallery, etc. I could get lost in there pretty easily!

You bring up a fair point/question, but I think for my use, it's a comparison I intentionally made.

It's replaced for my usage the 5D + 50mm 1.8 that I shot with most. I'm a 50mm FOV shooter, which is why I don't use the Fuji X100 (35mm FOV) or NEX (no fast 50 equivalent, in terms of FOV), and why I never got along with the Panny 20/1.7 much.

IQ, as you know, is not a single score or parameter. It's a mix of variables, with some variables having meaning for certain folks, and other variables weighing heavier for other folks. For me, this combo hits most of the variables that I look for, at least out of all the combos that are currently available in any CSC.

In my review, I think I already pointed out that the Oly sensor is about 2 stops behind NEX, which is pretty close to a 5D. So, for high ISO, it's lagging. But as I shoot mainly in brighter conditions, that's not as much an issue to me. In darker conditions, and for family/fun photos, the jpg engine and WB have improved. There is some loss of detail to NR and jpg smoothing, but if you aren't cropping much, and doing basic sized printing, you won't notice it really. I didn't notice it in full screen viewing, until I zoomed into 100% view.

DOF wise, the 25/1.4 behaves similarly to a 50/2.8, which is pretty darn useful. I never did shoot much at 50/1.4 (when I had a 50/1.4) or even 50/1.8. I was usually at 50/2 and higher.

The PanLeica lens renders colors and contrast very nicely. IMO, better than any other m43 lens I've tested. To the level of L glass on a 5D? No. But pretty close to my old 50/1.8 on my 5D. And pixel sharpness is fairly comparable.

Can the EPM1 + 25/1.4 replicate the entire 5D & 50/1.8 experience? Not entirely. But I couldn't stick the 5D in my jacket pocket, either (or take movies for that matter).

A good used 5D is about $1,000 + 50/1.8 $100 = $1,100. EPM1 (if you sell the kit lens) $300 + ~$500 for the PL25/1.4 = $800. Cheaper and smaller, and close enough for family/fun shooting. I don't do paid gigs anymore, but if I did, I would use a 5Dii + L glass (if we're talking e.g. portrait/wedding), but just for me? I'll take this little kit.

So, for personal purposes, I think this is highly comparable to how I shot and used my 5D, and it has quenched my desire for a 5D -- which I have bought and resold over the last 3 years, thinking "I want my 5D back" then "ugh, I don't want to lug this around anymore". I can only talk about my experience and use, though. Other folks will have other needs, approaches, tendencies and desires. I hope this posting helped someone better evaluate this fine little camera.

• Like Like x 6
  19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree with the 14. The EPM1 + 14 can be shot easily one-handed, focuses lightning fast, and is a great combo to get funky angles/environmental shots with. If I could afford a second EPM1, I would, just to mount one with the 14 and one with the 25.

20. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Wow. I just saw that first picture and I instantly thought "I want one".

Haven't even read the review yet. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on one of these.

• Like Like x 2