my EPL-1 won't let me take photos in no light condition

insoc789

New to Mu-43
Hi. I was experimenting with my brand new EPL1 on auto mode and scn mode trying to take photos in a room with very very low light. Anyway I press the shoot button and the came kept on focusing and focusing without letting me take the photo. I switch to other modes with the same result (even on P or A). I know the photo wouldn't be great but I don't like the idea of the camera keeping me from taking the photos I want. Any insight on this? Thank you!

DDG

Mu-43 Regular
The camera has a "release" menu setting that allows you to activate the shutter when the camera can't focus. There are different on/off settings for single-AF and continuous-AF.

MENU>Gear icon>RELEASE>RLS PRIORITY S or RLS PRIORITY C

kappa546

Mu-43 Rookie
I experienced the same thing with the kit lens. Faster lenses made an incredible difference.

antithetic

Mu-43 Regular
I happened to stumble upon this exact thing practicing some low light/long exposure captures. In my case, I had setup the focus prior to cutting out the lights but the camera would try to refocus and fail when pressing the shutter.

Recalling having watched Brian Mosley's Quick Start videos where he mentions decoupling the focus from the shutter. Voilà! =]

P8302342.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EXIF: ISO 100, 15 sec, f8

This is by no means a great example but I had been stymied in my previous attempts to get a clear night time skyline photo so it was back to basics and do more reading and practicing.

Perhaps this might help you too but I use the two custom reset presets (also described in the Quick Start videos) to more quickly toggle between the two behaviors. I don't quite understand the "RLS PRIORITY" settings so I thought losing the dedicated video record button would be less of an impact for me.

everythingsablur

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi. I was experimenting with my brand new EPL1 on auto mode and scn mode trying to take photos in a room with very very low light. Anyway I press the shoot button and the came kept on focusing and focusing without letting me take the photo. I switch to other modes with the same result (even on P or A). I know the photo wouldn't be great but I don't like the idea of the camera keeping me from taking the photos I want. Any insight on this? Thank you!

This is where an AF assist lamp really really comes in handy, and I'm still annoyed that Oly doesn't put them on any PENs (or make use of them on external flashes for that matter).

One trick that might work is decoupling AF from the shutter and placing it on the AE/AF Lock button. Then, using a flashlight or something, get an AF lock on your subject using the AEL/AFL, shut off your light source, press the shutter. I think that would work, but is totally dependant on your subject.

PS: I never said it was a good solution. :p Perhaps you should try the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 if you find you'll be in low light a lot, or try a Panasonic body for that matter. AF assist lamps and faster AF.

Latest threads

Top Bottom