1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My EM_1 and My Awesome 75mm f1.8

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dennis Mansour, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Dennis Mansour

Dennis Mansour Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    Just purchased the 75 f1.8 Oly prime. I took some portraits of my niece, I am extremely happy with this lens. I did some Portrait Professional adjustments. Thank you Kaylasm-3. Kaylasm-1. Kaylasm-1. Kaylasm-2. Kaylasm-2.

• Like Like x 8
  2. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    Some C&C here:

Honestly, her face looks over-corrected to me. The skin texture looks too smooth to my eye. Her shoulders and hair look much more natural. Her shoulder skin tone and detail is really lovely, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    Thank you for your honestly. Some people, especially woman like to look Fake so I did just that

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
  5. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    In my humble (but strong) opinion you should encourage her to be herself =). I'm sure the pre-PP photos are lovely too. As I said, her shoulder skin tone/texture looks really great, so wouldn't be surprised if more minor corrections are all that's needed. But they're not my photos, and she's not my neice =D

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    I understand you 100% Thanks

7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I agree with both of you. Skin texture looks plasticy, but young women often like it that way. I know when I take photos of my wife, she sometimes complains how clear the image is and how it shows her developing wrinkles. Myself, I zoom into 100% on those wrinkles and admire how sharp the lens is! :)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    You can PP a portrait such that wrinkles, moles and other imperfections are removed or diminished, but the skin still looks natural. Gaussian-blurring a face to oblivion is not the way do achieve that because it also removes fine detail such as pores which makes the skin look artificial.

Do yourself a favor and have a look at some good tutorials on this subject, like this one from Phlearn.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Seriously? Women like to look fake?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Congratulations on your Acquisition.
    The 75mm is the Rolls-Royce of portrait lenses.
    I agree with what was already said.
    The pose, exposure and light look very good and professional.
    Only thing I don't like that much is the exaggerated pp on the face.
    I think you can pp the face, but in a more subtle way. Removing all the imperfections but keep some skin texture.
    I'm not a PRO photographer but, take a look at my Flickr page and see at I mean.
    All the portraits you see on my page (without exception) have post-production on the faces, including male models:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jaimesilva00/

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Yes, that 75mm lens is worth its weight in gold. Love that frigging thing. Every time I see it, I smile. Every time I hold it, I smile wider and when I look at the pictures that I nailed with it, I grin like a buffoon.

Agreed with everyone else regarding the over processed face. And agreed again if her face has the same complexion as her shoulder, very little probably needs to be done.

12. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    I might redo some of these and then post them at a later dat. I appreciate the comments.

13. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    I redid one of them. Less PP any better ? P7300044A_pp.JPG

14. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    It's a little better to my eye, but still distracting (honestly). I think the problem is that the skin texture/tone looks so different on her shoulders than on her face, which creates a stark contrast and highlights the PP on the face. That's my view at least. I'd be curious to see an un-PP'd version, or a version with just minor blemishes taken care of with Heal in PS or Lightroom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I think it has to do with exposure. The face is quite a bit brighter than the body. Maybe the reflector was not big enough for a more gradual light fall-off. Just fixing that would go a long way in making the portrait look more natural.
    Rudy

16. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    I had the reflector a little high. It was about chest level which made the shoulders and arms darker than the face. I am pretty sure thats what happened. Thanks again for you input

17. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    Thank you all

18. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Nice work............

19. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
  20. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    The face does appear too light (for me) when compared to the rest of her skin. And I'd prefer less even lighting across the face - that is, more of a shadow on one side or the other.
    Nice posing and images.