1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My EM5 for sale in the UK soon

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chonbhoy, Dec 27, 2013.

1. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I've just purchased a used EM1 and hopefully as described in mint condition, I won't know for sure until It arrives but all going well my EM5 will be up for grabs for a good price (I'm not a greedy person) firstly on here but just wondering what people on here think a fair price is for an EM5 with 12-50 boxed with all original accessories and probably only 1200 shots taken also only mark on it is a light scratch on the base from a tripod plate, it's in pristine condition, can't fault it. I also can't fault the camera but seeing as I always shoot with either half grip or full grip (I have rather large hands) I really liked the idea of upgrading to the EM1 so think I'll sell the EM5. I'm not sure if the eyecup is different than the original on the EM5 so that could be thrown in to the bundle as well. I'm also lookin to sell a 14-42 Panny v2 and maybe sell the Oly 12 but those would be separate unless anyone should a particular interest, anyway suggested prices for the EM5 fully gripped and 12-50 boxed with accessories please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    I have just last week purchased EM-5 body with 344 accutations off ebay for £499, I thought it was a fair price.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Personally, if I sold my e-m5, I'd be happy with £400 (body only). I don't see the market price being much more than that for a private used purchase with no warranty.

It's for that reason that I'm not upgrading to an e-m1.

4. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Why would it have no warranty?

5. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    As much as I appreciate the input please try and evaluate the price on the total package, not body only as that's not what I will be selling ideally, cheers, I'd agree on half of original paid for price or there abouts on generally used items but my used items are especially well looked after so I won't sell to nobody that I don't actually know for those kinda discount prices as I feel I am actually doing them a favor for that price but it all depends on the seller and the buyer, in other words I don't need to sell for any less than I feel it's worth. I personally was thinking £750 for all of the above in my original post. Yes that is originally boxed, accessories, 12-50mm and HLD-6.

6. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    Have to say I think you'd struggle at that price. The E-M5 and 12-50 can be bought new for £899. You'd possibly have more chance selling the body, lens and grip separately.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well for arguments sake, I saw an E-M5 with grip, and 12-50 go here locally for $700 Canadian and it had 800 actuations and was 3months old, so still under warranty for 9 months.

• Like Like x 1
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well personally...
    1) If you think it is worth GBP750 in its box and all
    2) You think you are doing someone a favor selling it at that price
    3) You dont need to sell for less than you think it is worth

Then you are probably best not asking other peoples opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

My advice is to look at eBay and see what the market will bear! E.g.:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-O...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item3a891f9a2e

In my opinion shutter count does not affect value until you get up to the silly numbers like 50,000+, anything under 20,000 will be well within normal usage limits.

If you want to make the most money I would split the items, most people going for an EM-5 will already be into m43 and won't be looking to add a kit zoom to their collection. If you wanted to see the body and grip you would probably be looking at £600 for those two together. I only buy a kit with a bundled lens to then sell on the lens and reduce the pain, I'd therefore expect to get the lens for £50~£100 more than the body alone. You can probably hope to achieve the following prices as a minimum if you split:

1. Body = £500
    2. Grip = £150
    3. Lens = £150

That gets you to £800, which is more than you'll get if you attempt to sell them as a kit! I'd reckon £650-£700 is the most you'll get as a kit. But remember, you severely limit your market when you sell bundles: the EM-5 is definitely an upgrade camera and I couldn't see me looking to get the 12-50 as well unless the price difference was marginal compared to body only.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    I doubt you'd get £150 for the lens. Mine was on here for a long time at £120 - it finally sold for £100. I'd expect the same for the grip and maybe £500 for the body?

Michael

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

11. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    With all due respect, not being greedy and wanting to get more than expected for an item are not very compatible. I do understand, though, the feeling when selling a well cared for item, but it's hard to justify in the end for the buyer.
    Regarding warranty, it would probably have none because it's generally not tranferable; someone correct me if i'm wrong and explain how you would get warranty if you're not the person on the original invoice.
    Happy holidays.

12. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Ditto..........

• Like Like x 1
  13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    In the UK Olympus Warranties are transferable
    Olympus only require that the original invoice is made available - it does not have to be in the name of the claimant
    This is in contrast to Panasonic UK who will only honour a Warranty if the claimant is the original buyer (written into their warranty terms)
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 2
  14. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Ok everyone who took time to reply thanks, I will say that in order to try and sell at a fair price I wanted an idea of the top price so that I would then reduce that price but never mind, also selling all together for less than all separately might be of convenience for me.(which would be less again)
    I have the original Invoice for the camera, lens and grip so the warranty is good, thankfully.