1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My EM1 is sick :(

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ashburtononline, Nov 29, 2015.

1. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Was shooting a cycle race yesterday and it was working great. Switched to another camera for 15 minutes or so, picked it up and I see a nasty 'smear' in my viewfinder and a few lime green 'blobs'. Ironically, I had just upgraded to firmware V4.

Called the repair technician and he said the lcd in the viewfinder has gone .... happened to him too. Its a warranty repair and its on its was to them now. I'll get it back on Friday next. I mentioned my other EM1 has a small green cloud developing at the viewfinder and he will do that one in a few weeks .... he will order parts. Fantastic service !

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  3. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Yes ! I was not inferring it was firmware .... just a coincidence !

4. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Second camera has it now too. Spoke to the repair tech .... he said they have come in with this as new as 1 week old. He rubbished the sunlight through the viewfinder theory and said in his view that it was a failure in how the viewfinder LCD is mounted on to its backboard .... it lets light bleed in after the bonding fails .... had that with a Sony TV too once. He is ordering more and will do my second camera after first is repaired!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Just got her back ..... 48 hours inc shipping (1 hour away). Excellent serviced I'd say.

Work Done : Dismantle, remove and replace Viewfinder TFT unit. Reassemble, cleaned sensor and checked all functions. Confirm latest Firmware.

6. InAssisi

InAssisi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wow, what is going on with the EM-1? I keep hearing of this horrible issue. Not good for consumers who are outside of Olympus' repair centres radius. ie. Canada.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's a known issue, but hardly one that affects a significant proportion of E-M1 owners. The real dial is also prone to flaking, and seems to be a little more common if you look at the number of folks who commented in the thread here. I did have the dial issue, and got it replaced quickly and at no cost to me (turnaround about a week and a half, warrantee handled via the original vendor), but my viewfinder's still going strong...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I just was shipped a refurb from Olympus with the issue....wonder how that got past the "inspection"