My EM-1 came in yeserday and I am very happy with it.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by silver92b, Sep 3, 2014.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    So, I pulled the trigger on the EM-1 body with the 12-40 f2.8 pro zoom. I bought it on ebay from a seller in Korea. He shipped the camera very quickly and it arrived in 3 days! Unfortunately I was out of town and had to wait til after labor day to get it. My first impressions are very positive.

First, I really love the new gear per se :biggrin:. But all kidding aside, the camera looks and feels great! I was surprised that it's only slightly larger than the EM-5 and actually it's smaller than my EM-5 with the grip and battery holder! Of course, I already ordered the battery holder for the EM-1, so it will grow larger soon... I am really excited about the extra physical controls so I don't have to navigate menus as much. The EVF is absolutely beautiful! I love the one that I added to the EP-5, but this one is every bit as good *and* it's integrated with the camera! A big plus in my estimation.

The 12-40 lens is absolutely wonderful as well. I have been using the PL 12-35 f2.8 and this Oly lens is every bit as good and better in at least 3 respects. 1, it has a longer reach; 2, it focuses much closer! and 3, it has a programmable button. The Panny has the OIS, but with the EM-1 (or the other Oly bodies), it's superfluous and must be disabled... I am selling the 12-35 to help finance this latest buy (although I really love that little lens).

There is a lot to learn about this camera, and it's going to take some time to learn how to take advantage of all its features. I think this time I will devote more effort to learn it than I did with the EM-5 and the EP-5. However, I found a fantastic feature of this camera. It works superbly well with my adapted 4/3 lenses! The EM-5 just could not do the AF with my Zuiko 50-200 and also hunted a lot with my Zuiko ED 9-18 (4/3). With the EM-1, the autofocus works very nicely. My 50-200 is now actually useful! I had all but given up on it and was about to sell it...

All in all, I'm very excited with the EM-1 and the 12-40 f2.8. My biggest concern now is which body to keep as back up. I need to choose between the EM-5 and the EP-5/EVF. Also, I need to pare down on the number of lenses I have. Must discipline myself to resist the GAS and plan carefully what to get rid of and what to keep and what to buy next...:biggrin:
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    I haven't handled the E-P5 (I never wanted a camera where I couldn't use an EVF & attached flash together) but it might be useful with matching shutter speed range to that of the E-M1 & both have WiFi abilities if that is used & both have the dual lever function which may make swapping from one to another easier too.
  3. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I can see your point about the EVF and flash conflict. However, I noticed that my flash unit sits in a shelf and has never been used except to try it out with my DP2 Merrill.. The flash unit that came with the EM-5 likewise... I love the EM-5 but I have to admit that the EP-5 has very nice features... I also need to sell a few lenses. The biggest problem with all the extra gear is carrying all that stuff around. Sometimes I wonder if I should try shooting with only one lens.....
  4. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Cheers to you... mine arrived yesterday too and like you, I'm very happy. Still need to save for the battery holder/grip but otherwise just playing with it, I was impressed. My wife has owned it for 6 months and would always get frustrated when trying to use my EM5... don't ask me why they're fairly similer but if she needed to change something really fast, I would hear her grumble. Anyhow, I'm certain I'll be out this weekend bothering the local wildlife populations. biggest love is all the programmable buttons. Now if I can only remember what function I assigned to each button it will be great :)
  5. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    This was my biggest disappointment moving to the EM5 from my E520. I had to give up on my 50-200 or put it in manual focus mode. I ended up buying a cheap manual prime lens and my wife absconded with the 50-200 which is now "hers" .... Now that I have my EM1....I'm going to purchase another 50-200.... my favorite all time Olympus Lens and rekindle the romance.
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    And did it work?
  7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I totally feel your pain :biggrin:. I can't remember much anymore and there is a lot to remember using these cameras.

You'll be thrilled with the way the EM-1 handles the 4/3 lenses..:smile:

Yes & no. It worked but I need to understand how to set it up properly.... The DP2 M can definitely benefit from a flash unit.
  8. Jonnieb

Jonnieb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Jon Barnett
    Someone (sorry, I forget who!) has put together a spreadsheet on which you can record all the custom settings. I just had to send my EM-1 in for service to the rear control dial, and I am thankful that when it returns I can pull out the "cheat" sheet and quickly reconfigure the camera.

The sheet makes it really easy to go through each step of each menu and record what your own settings are.
  9. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT

Congrats on the purchase.

Keep the EP-5 and sell me the EM-5 :tongue:
  10. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    I rented the E-M1 in July anticipating a purchase. I'm still saving my pennies but all things considered my rental experience was very very positive.

I can understand the complaints some have expressed about the menus, however I think for me they are non-issues. The menu options are deep and wide but I felt they are organized very well considering the sheer number of options provided for configuring the manifest hardware options this camera offers. I must also explain I come from a software development background so I'm used to complexity of this sort.

IMO, what is lacking is a clear user friendly document and or videos to ease the learning curve.

Clearly for me the camera is stellar and excites me each time I think about owning one soon.

My 2 cents,

11. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Sure! If you want the EM-5 I'll make you one sweet deal... PM me :smile:

In reality, the complexity of the menus is no more difficult than that for the EM-5 or EP-5... Granted, I find the myriad of settings and choices overwhelming, but hey, that's just me. I actually got castigated in another discussion about these things in this forum. I spoke of my preference for much fewer controls, adjustments or choices. Personally, I would be happy with not many more controls than the RD-1 rangefinder or the Leicas. After all if the camera takes good photos and one uses LR or similar software for processing, all those extra adjustments are so much fluff that distracts one from composing and taking pictures. Again, it's just my opinion, your mileage might vary, etc. :wink:
    Actually, it would be really nice of the cognoscenti to produce more videos to tutor those of us less capable of concentration and various stages of ADD LOL!

Taken with the EM-1 one with the 12-40 and the other with the 25mm f4 Voigtlander.
  12. BMarkwardt

BMarkwardt New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2014
    I just got mine last week. Haven't had much opportunity to fool with it yet.

I bought the pdf of Gary Friedman's guide. Well worth the $20. Almost 400 pages so it is also a bit overwhelming.