1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My Ebay E-M5 batteries showed up today

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LVL8hacker, May 14, 2012.

1. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I got my batteries from the Ebay seller in China. I did get the free charger with it as well. From what I can see is they look just like the OEM batteries with different writing on them. They will not charge with the OEM charger as we all know, But I do see that the charger they sent will charge the OEM battery.

Here are some pictures of what came in the mail.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm really tempted, but I've always had bad luck on the longevity of aftermarket batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson
    I have them on the charger now, and will have to wait and see how it goes.

On a side note, I did a Prom job this past weekend with the E-M5 and I have to say the OEM battery held up well. About 2 1/2 hours of picture taking and i still have some juice left.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The OEM battery is excellent, I did a whole day at Disneyland and it held up no problem. I'm almost inclined to wait for the OEM batteries to be readily available since I have no planned trips anytime soon! :wink:

5. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    Makes me want to need that many batteries while on a trip!

Few months after i received my GF1, i found a battery on ebay for $20 i think. It looked like the original and came in the box. I couldn't believe the price and took a chance. When i got it look exactly the same as mine and charges on the original charger. Still works to this day, 1.5 years later and around 30 cycles.

6. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    Ce, ul, Ccc... etc certification .... must be good right?

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Got mine as well, all the way from china! And yet, still no camera to put it in...way to go olympus!

8. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    Will the OEM batteries charge in the aftermarket charger?

I really don't like the bulky corded charger that came with the EM-5.

9. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson
    Yes the OEM battery does charge in the aftermarket charger. I have 2 of them charged up now....the third is charging. One in the camera the other in the grip. I'm getting battery info as full.

I'll see how long these things last :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    This is just an observation: The OEM battery and charger have 5 contacts and the 3rd party one has 2 (+/-). The other 3 contacts are marked T, I & S. I think T=temp and I=current, don't know what S is sensing. They are used to monitor the charge rate and temperature of the battery for the optimum charge. I would be inclined to believe that charging the OEM battery, with the OEM charger is safer and will give a longer battery life.

I have 2 third party batteries and a charger that came with them for my E-PL2. At home I use the OEM for all of those batteries. If I were going on a trip I'd take the after market charger, but try to stick to using the batteries that came with it if I could.

11. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I must say I like looks of the after market charger with the built in AC plug a lot better than the Olympus charger. When do you folks order the batteries?

I ordered the moment I saw it posted here. I leave for a trip on hiking photo trip in a couple of days. Would love to have the spare batteries.

12. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson

I put the OEM battery in the aftermarket charger. Got a red light showing it was charging. Went back a while later and the charger was showing a green light indicating full charge. I took out the ol tester and snapped a couple shots. Tester is showing it full and ready to go. :2thumbs:

[​IMG]

P5140001.

• Like Like x 4
  13. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Nice to know the Oly batter charges on the 3rd party charger!

14. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    When I get mine, I'll use them exclusively with the travel charger.Native charger is very clunky.

15. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson

My only regret now is that I didn't order a 4th aftermarket battery..

• Like Like x 1
  16. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Taking a no load voltage measurement of a battery tells you next to nothing about it being fully charged. Sorry.

17. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    It's tempting, but my luck would be I'd have a problem caused by the battery and you know what Olympus would do to my warranty if they found out I used a third party battery....deny warranty claim. As much as I hate to pay $60 for a battery, that's what I'll do. I only need 2 anyway. 1 usually last for my outings anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I use after market batteries all the time and have never had a problem. I hate ordering directly from China, though, and will wait for a U.S. distributor or get the Olympus when it is available.

Wish I could get a damned battery that wasn't MADE in China.

19. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Isn't the em-5 itself made in China?

• Like Like x 2
  20. s2kinfinite

s2kinfinite Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    There is nothing wrong with made in China as long as the QA measures are proper in place to ensure quality.