My E-PM1 just died ...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MoonMind, May 23, 2015.

1. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I'm not mad or anything, just really dismayed. This was the camera that brought me back into photography and made digital photography feel sensible to me.

I don't really know how it happened, actually - from one minute to another, the shutter would cease to operate properly, and all I got was black frames. Given that this little warrior took a lot of abuse, I'm not too surprised, but it's a true loss even though the camera may have been superceded long ago by other parts of my kit. I still loved shooting it from time to time, period. It was small and unintrusive, and it delivered very nice looking images.

Given repair prices around here being what they are, there's simply no sense in trying to get it repaired - for only a couple of Swiss francs more, I can get an E-PL7, which is exactly what I will do (I want a second body, and since I already have a detachable EVF, the E-PL7 fits the bill just fine).

I was sitting on the fence about that camera for a while now anyway. I might have waited for a GX8 or something similar, but now the gap needs filling - the E-PM1 was very much my summer (and holiday) camera. I often just put a prime on it and headed out to shoot. As much as I like the LX100 with its EVF and nice zoom and the E-M10 with its very compelling handling with the 12-40mm and additional grip, I simply want a body that feels right at home with the great small primes while at the same time staying reasonably compact, pure, simple and straightforward - which was exactly what the E-PM1 did for me (and yes, I have handled the GM1 and GM5 - gorgeous, but simply too small for my liking, and furthermore, I want I.B.I.S. that really works - and I know from the E-M10 what to expect there).

So it goes. R.I.P., old friend.

M.

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I think the decision is good to get an e-pL7,
    but the used prices of e-pM1 bodies are through the floor : buy a backup?

3. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

There's plenty of them floating around on the second hand market... I picked a copy up a few months back for cheap and don't know how I lived without one!

It currently gets more trigger time than my EM1...

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I thought about that, but I prefer the IQ and IBIS of the E-M10 by some margin, and the E-PL7 is the closest thing to get in a PEN gestalt for a reasonable price - this will be a second body, after all. I know the E-PL7 is a little bulkier, but it's also better equipped in many areas: additional command dial, better (tilty) screen, focus peaking, WiFi etc.

I don't think it'll compete with the E-M10 in my case - because that camera has the 12-40mm and additional grip more or less glued on these days, whereas I used the E-PM1 as a jacket pocket camera with a small prime attached. That's what I want the E-PL7 for, really.

What I was much more concerned about for a while was that the LX100 would make the E-PM1 redundant, but that didn't happen - and won't. The LX100 performs very, very well for a compact camera, but it can't produce images on the same level as recent mFT cameras - more crucially, in certain respects even the E-PM1 delivered images of a quality I can't get from the LX100, mostly due to the lenses available. The LX100's bright zoom lens is not bad at all, but it's only a bit better - i.e. sharper and more contrasty - than the Olympus standard zoom (and a little worse than the tiny Panasonic 12-32mm in those key aspects, actually!); all in all, certainly no match for the primes.

So, knowing the E-M10, I'm pretty sure I'll get what I want from the E-PL7 - it'll replace the E-PM1 and will help me make the most out of my prime collection.

As an afterthough, I don't regret getting the LX100. It might actually inherit the role as a lightweight travel camera - something I used the E-PM1 with the 12-32mm for in the past. Since both those items are now broken, there's an opening for a sturdy all-in-one camera ...

M.

5. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Whis I lived somewhere where I could wear a jacket. :(