1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My E-PM1 just arrived and I got a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dede, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Hi, my E-PM1 just arrived and I'm very delighted with it. I still got a couple questions:

1. I'm shooting in the mode in which aperture and shutter speed are set automatically, I modify all the other stuff. Is that mode alright, or should I use a different one? Also, someone was talkin about a menu in which you can adjust everything by clicking smth, how can I get that menu?

2. I'm shooting with the 14-42mm lens and sometimes my pictures get really blurry and take forever to focus, what could be the reason for that? (I took them inside and it was quite dark)

3. Are there any special settings which I should select? For example, which is the best IS? And should I select continious AF or single af?

4. Is there any way to take the things at the side of the camera off? (I mean the ones that hold the neck strap? Because I think they make holding the camera less comfortable)

Thanks in advance

2. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    1. Program mode is fine, use Aperture/Shutter priority when you specifically need to control those variables. Aperture if you want to control DOF and shutter if you want to freeze/blur motion.

2. Make sure you have the extended menus by:
    Menu > Setup > Wrench > Menu Display > Gear Menu Display > On

then

Menu > Setup > Gear Menu > D > Control Settings > P/A/S/M > SCP > On

now you can access it but hitting info twice when in live view shooting.

3. Use IS 1 for normal use, the others are for panning or other specialized uses. S-AF for regular use as well and C-AF for moving subjects.

4. Yep, take the plastic thing off then just take the metal ring off like you would on a keychain. I have the left side off and a strap attached to the right.

3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    1. Info on enabling the Super Control Panel is over here
    E-PM1 &gt Frequently Asked Questions

2. The 14-42 is quite 'slow' - not in terms of focus speed but in terms of aperture (ie it doesn't let a lot of light in; not a bad thing outdoors but indoors its a problem). Try the included flash. If you have a bit of $$$ to spare you can get a faster lens (the 20mm f1.7 or 45mm f1.8 etc). There are also a couple of threads around low light photography - have a search.

3. The default IS is fine - other IS modes are for panning. There is a feeling that if you shoot at higher shutter speeds you can just disable IS as its likely to cause blur (not immediately visible unless you pixel peep or plan on blowing up the image).

4. Yes - I found taking the plastic 'bumpers' off first made it easier to remove the steel ring (triangle?) with a fingernail or sharp-object (parental supervision may be required!)

If you're new to m43 have a search for Brian Mosleys excellent tutorials (they're linked in the forums but live on YouTube). While they're for an older Oly body the menus and options are pretty similar.

Happy shooting and welcome to the family.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    1. If a mode gets you good pictures, then it's a good mode. That said, you are probably well served by understanding the primary modes of your camera, how they work, and how to alter them when necessary.
    2. Focusing is slower in low light, and exposures are longer in low light. Use higher ISO, a faster lens, or support the camera.
    3. The manual explains the different IS modes, most of the time you'll want IS 1. Single-AF is generally considered to be a lot more reliable and effective on this cameras than continuous.
    4. Yeah, they're just triangular keychain rings with plastic caps. First pull the plastic caps off, then take them off just like keys.

5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Strap rings can be taken off but be prepared to say goodbye to your thumbnails:) I'll often use P mode in daylight. Why fight it?

6. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Alright, thanks for all the quick awnsers. I got another question: When I take a picture in the program mode in a dark room, the program mode automatically makes the shutter speed slow, right? So when I'm in a dark room with a low iso my pictures easily get blurry, right? And how can I prevent that, just turn the ISO up or what`?

7. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Try iAuto mode when you're in a dark room and the camera will automatically raise the ISO and shutter speed. If the camera does not raise the shutter speed enough to eliminate blur then attach the clip-on flash unit.

8. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Higher ISO or bigger aperture or faster shutter speed or a combination of those.

9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Is there a way to select a P setting. Like on the ep3 I could scroll my thing wheel and in P mode it'll switch thru various aperture/shutter combos. Does she have that option with the circular wheel on the rear?

- Eliot

10. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Yup:

P (Program/Program Shift shooting) – This is an automatic exposure mode that accepts input from the photographer. It is useful when you require more creative control. When powered on with this mode selected, the camera displays P in the lower left corner of the screen.

In P mode, the exposure is set by the camera. However, you can adjust the exposure selected by the camera by using the exposure compensation function. To do so, press the button and then rotate the wheel controller until the desired setting is displayed on the screen.

For even greater control, after pressing the button, rotate the wheel controller until the P changes to Ps. This is the Program Shift mode. Program Shift permits the selection of alternate aperture and shutter speed combinations while maintaining the exposure selected by the camera. If a higher shutter speed is selected, a wider aperture will be set. If a slower shutter speed is selected, a smaller aperture will be set. To cancel Program Shift, rotate the dial in the opposite direction until Ps is no longer displayed. Program Shift is not available when using the flash.

11. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    As mentioned, with Program Shift (= turning the wheel with your thumbnail) you can shift the available aperture/shutter speed combinations and Exp. Comp (+/-) will let you fine-tune the exposure to your liking. IMO the best of both worlds, fully manual and automatic.

12. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    I was at a climbing centre yesterday and left my ep3 on auto, noticed that it dropped the shutter speed in preference to bumping the iso up (aperture was wide open at 2.8).
    I would have had it on aperture or shutter priority but was interchanging camera and child with a non camera interested hubby, but was interested to see what the camera was favouring.

13. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Hey I got another question about the Olympus E-PM1. That is, whether this camera has a gun shot ring, or whatever it is called, to attach such a hook to it: Gariz Gun Shot Hook XA-SH1 Gunshot Strap Hook | eBay. So does the E-PM1 have such a thing, or not?

Thanks in advance

14. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Definitely doesn't have anything like the one pictured. Whether you can get it separately or not I don't know...

15. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Alright, I know this souns weird, because I just asked, how to get the rings off, but does anybody know, how to get the metal rings for the neck strap back on? Just wonderin, because it'd be useful for a hiking trip (otherwise I'll just buy the neck strap I'm looking to buy later right now).

Thanks in advance

P.S. I already tried quite hard, but I just can't figure it out, or is there any trick involved?

Edit: I also red in a lot of reviews on amazon, that the EVF-2 is note very tight on a lot of cameras, and easily comes off, is that the same thing with the E-PM1?