My E-PM1 arrived today!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kyphotoguy, Oct 6, 2012.

1. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    Battery is charging and as soon as the light says charged I am going to snap away. My current DSLR (Nikon D40) has served me well but I could not resist the very low price of this mini. I wanted the video option and if this lil thing can do what I think it can instead of passing it on to my daughter I think I will just buy her one as a Christmas gift.

Any advice would be well received on this camera and any pimp ideas as well.

Thank you and I am very happy I found this place!

2. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Coming from the DSLR world, like a huge number of us here, I think you'll enjoy having an electric viewfinder like the Olympus vf-2 or vf-3. When I got my first m43 camera it was the Oly E-PL1 and I wasn't sold on the system until I got the v-f2. Upgrading from the kit lens to a nice fast prime lens would be a big plus too and you can find tons of great sample photos from just about every native lens on the market by searching these forums.

3. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    ever since I bought the panny 14mm 2.5 I no longer have to use flash
    indoors.

turn on the super control panel for easy access to all settings.

4. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    Does the other pen camera batteries work in the emp1? I am sure I will be getting the semi and the vf2 along with other lens.

5. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I use my EPL1 battery in the EPM1. same battery part number.

Just look at the part number of battery and do a search. BTW the compatible
    battery on ebay doesnt cost much at all.

When I went on holiday recently. The battery last all day in my epm1. SO buying a spare one will be fine.

6. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    Grabbed a couple shots this afternoon.

kald6s.

fbceb.

• Like Like x 2
  7. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    I ordered the extra battery off eBay. I also have a chinese 25mm 1.7 cctv lens on the way.

8. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    Is there a simple black and white setting or do i need to do that in editing?

9. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Menu > Setup > OK > Picture Mode , and then you can choose monotone.

If you enable the super control panel (SCP), you can get to this setting very quickly. To enable....

1) Menu > Setup > OK > Gear (4th option down) >OK > D (4th line) > Control Settings

2) Now you see 4 of the shooting modes. I set the SCP fpr PASM mode.
    Live COntrol = Off and SCP = ON.

Back in operational mode, hitting OK in PASM modes enables the SCP. Use scroll buttons to select function and wheel to change value.

I used the SCP to change to the 3:2 mode that you must like from your D40 days. Nah. I prefer 4:3.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think all the PEN models use the same battery. There is a basic version{BLS-1} and an environmentally friendly one{BLS-5}{see link below for more info}. The E-M5 however uses a different battery{some people were mad about that!}.
    New Batteries and Charges Going Green

Not sure what all you mean by "pimp". I hope you are talking about accessories and not using the camera for immoral uses. As far as stuff there are many lenses, viewfinders, flashes, cases and skins for the E-PM1.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  12. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I've just ordered an E-PM1 to compliment my Panny G2. After a little accident last weekend (the G2 survived) I thought it made sense to have a backup. Plus now, I'll have a foot in both camps. Not sure how I'll get on with the lack of VF, but I'll give it a go. I got a free spare battery in the deal. :smile: Looking forwards to seeing how the cameras compare.

13. aussieg

aussieg Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    just bought a 2 week body for 200 AUD and plan to use it with small c mount lenses

14. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012