1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My E-PM1 arrived today!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kyphotoguy, Oct 6, 2012.

1. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    Battery is charging and as soon as the light says charged I am going to snap away. My current DSLR (Nikon D40) has served me well but I could not resist the very low price of this mini. I wanted the video option and if this lil thing can do what I think it can instead of passing it on to my daughter I think I will just buy her one as a Christmas gift.

Any advice would be well received on this camera and any pimp ideas as well.

Thank you and I am very happy I found this place!

2. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Coming from the DSLR world, like a huge number of us here, I think you'll enjoy having an electric viewfinder like the Olympus vf-2 or vf-3. When I got my first m43 camera it was the Oly E-PL1 and I wasn't sold on the system until I got the v-f2. Upgrading from the kit lens to a nice fast prime lens would be a big plus too and you can find tons of great sample photos from just about every native lens on the market by searching these forums.

3. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    ever since I bought the panny 14mm 2.5 I no longer have to use flash
    indoors.

turn on the super control panel for easy access to all settings.

4. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    Does the other pen camera batteries work in the emp1? I am sure I will be getting the semi and the vf2 along with other lens.

5. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I use my EPL1 battery in the EPM1. same battery part number.

Just look at the part number of battery and do a search. BTW the compatible
    battery on ebay doesnt cost much at all.

When I went on holiday recently. The battery last all day in my epm1. SO buying a spare one will be fine.

6. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    Grabbed a couple shots this afternoon.

kald6s.
    E-PM1    ---    14mm    f/3.5    1/60s    ISO 250

fbceb.
    E-PM1    ---    42mm    f/7.1    1/125s    ISO 200

• Like Like x 2
  7. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    I ordered the extra battery off eBay. I also have a chinese 25mm 1.7 cctv lens on the way.

8. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    Is there a simple black and white setting or do i need to do that in editing?

9. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Menu > Setup > OK > Picture Mode , and then you can choose monotone.

If you enable the super control panel (SCP), you can get to this setting very quickly. To enable....

1) Menu > Setup > OK > Gear (4th option down) >OK > D (4th line) > Control Settings

2) Now you see 4 of the shooting modes. I set the SCP fpr PASM mode.
    Live COntrol = Off and SCP = ON.

Back in operational mode, hitting OK in PASM modes enables the SCP. Use scroll buttons to select function and wheel to change value.

I used the SCP to change to the 3:2 mode that you must like from your D40 days. Nah. I prefer 4:3.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think all the PEN models use the same battery. There is a basic version{BLS-1} and an environmentally friendly one{BLS-5}{see link below for more info}. The E-M5 however uses a different battery{some people were mad about that!}.
    New Batteries and Charges Going Green

Not sure what all you mean by "pimp". I hope you are talking about accessories and not using the camera for immoral uses. As far as stuff there are many lenses, viewfinders, flashes, cases and skins for the E-PM1.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  12. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I've just ordered an E-PM1 to compliment my Panny G2. After a little accident last weekend (the G2 survived) I thought it made sense to have a backup. Plus now, I'll have a foot in both camps. Not sure how I'll get on with the lack of VF, but I'll give it a go. I got a free spare battery in the deal. :smile: Looking forwards to seeing how the cameras compare.

13. aussieg

aussieg Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    just bought a 2 week body for 200 AUD and plan to use it with small c mount lenses

14. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.