1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

'My E-PL5 Information Thread'

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Nov 1, 2012.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Update: Still haven't shot with it much due to me not having that much time & trying to update my post processing software. Thus in this area, I can tell you the following

1) The current Camera RAW for PSE 11 will not read the RAW files - I suppose an update will be coming in the future.

2) Current Version of Viewer 2 couldn't transfer the RAW files I suspect a driver issue so I'll try later on.

So what I did was manually download the RAW files, Opened with Viewer 2, converted to TIFF, and use PSE11 to process.

Only to 2 pics of the kids in their Halloween costumes - will post other pics when I get a chance.

2. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    How good is the IBIS (do you have a sense of it compared to the one in the OM-D)?

3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    It seems to about the same as the EPL1 to me. There is an orientation sensor now.

4. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    I've never owned an EPL1 so have no personal basis of comparison. Could you speak to how close EPL1's IBIS is compared to OM-D? Thanks!

5. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I have an EPL1 and EM5 and the EM5 is most definitely better. It gives better control of shake and seems to be at least one stop more effective if not more. The E-PL5 doesn't have the 5 axis system of the E-M5 so it will not give the same performance. That's one of the advantages of the E-M5 over the E-PL5.

6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I think you can look for comparisons of the 5 axis compared to any of the other Olympus m34 cameras (the 2 axis probably performs about the same in all of them). There's plenty written about the performance of the 5 axis compared to anything else.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    But we know it doesn't. Even you know it doesn't.
    The lighter smaller bodies have worse IBIS than the proper P-series Pens, until we get to the e-pL5 where they seem to have made a good 'un according to your own posted evidence with the Lumix -300mm lens.

... aww I just had an idea ...

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    From what I've seen, I *believe* this is correct. e.g., E-PM1 IBIS vs E-P3 IBIS...Both apparently do not behave the same...

9. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I use the 100-300 lens' own stabilisation for that lens, - I turned off the EPL1 and now the EPL5 stabilisation when using it.

OK, I supposed wrong.

Did you find how to turn on the cogs menu? You have to go to the spanner menu and turn it on.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yep - sure did! :smile:

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you have ExifToolGUI (or a hex editor), you can change the camera model to E-M5 and it will open in existing software. WB may be off though.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Tks for the info - not sure I'll go this route but it is appreciated :smile:

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  15. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Beautiful.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Monkeying around from this morning:

-M. Zuiko 14-150ED @ ƒ5.6, 120mm FL
    -ISO 200
    -1/1000
    -Shutter Priority
    -C-AF With Face Detect
    -Shot in RAW, used Viewer 2 to convert to JPEG
    -No post processing done

8151205403_c6e45db05a_b.
    Olympus E-PL5 SOOC Test by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

17. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Fantastic price! :bravo-009:

19. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I'm sticking with the Jpegs for the moment. The viewer 2 RAW process is not nice. I've done a test and there is no benefit I can find in making Jpegs from RAWs in Viewer 2. The straight Jpegs look better to me.

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Copy that. :smile:
    I'm a creature of habit - my normal workflow is RAW to photoshop but until a Camera RAW update comes through, I'll be doing Viewer 2 to TIFF....and then into Photoshop....:redface: