My E-PL3 review

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Alf, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    • Like Like x 15
  2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Alf,

A real pleasure to read. This is the sort of review that I both enjoy and find useful.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Wonderful review...and you live in a lovely part of the world.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Great review! Thank you very much, I found it very informative.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nice work, Alf. You certainly sell the E-PL3 well! I don't know what I might replace my E-PL1 with. In my hands it has already seen off the others of it's generation; I never liked the E-P1 as much after trying the E-PL1, and after only a little while spent processing images from a GF1 I knew that that camera wasn't for me either. At the moment I'm thinking an Olympus version of a GX1 might be "the one".

It's funny how you describe the looks of the E-PL1 as like a washing machine, since the last thing you would accuse Olympus of is manufacturing photographic whitegoods :)

Congrats on the new camera and well done on the review.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Thank you all!

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Nice job! Anybody who put up with the E-PL1's extreme slowness for 2 years gets my respect.

DH

• Like Like x 2
  8. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    I enjoy reading it ALF and thanks for the review good job.

For 2 yrs im still loving my EPL-1..

• Like Like x 1
  9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Wonderfully written review, Alf! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  10. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Thanks for the great review. After reading it I am sorely tempted to leave my trusty E-PL1, but I think I'll resist a while longer...must save up for the Oly 45/1.8!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I'm starting to love the two-primes set so I understand. But you also have nice lenses. Oh, the 85/1,8.....
    When I have some time in the light I must play more with the Oly 45, and then get out the 40 and 50mm Hexanons

12. anedar

anedar New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Andrea
    Thank you for the review.
    One question: I noticed that my EPL-3 with the kit zoom has much warmer color tones as compared to my Canon 550D and Lumix LX5. Also in Raw they appear rather exasperated: green foliage turns almost yellow, and fall brown leaves turn red. Do you have the same experience? Any trick to get more "real" colors out of the camera?

• Like Like x 1
  13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Great review, coupled with some lovely shots, Alf!

You are putting the 45mm to good use also. I am amazed at how well you nail the focus with the 45mm (the running lady was sharp in one of your shots)! I find myself missing focus more often with the E-PL3 + 45mm combination than with the E-P3 + 45mm combo due to the smaller display...

BTW, have you noticed any funky motion blur in your photos with the IS on? I am still trying to figure out if this is a E-PM1 issue or a common issue with both E-PM1 and E-PL3...

• Like Like x 1
  14. The raw image will adopt the camera's chosen white balance as a default. Check that you camera hasn't been set to adopt a warm white balance in the custom menus.

15. anedar

anedar New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Andrea
    Luckypenguin, warm white balance is deselected in my camera.

16. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks Alf for your review and settings

After reading a few threads on this, I decided to run some basic tests. From what i saw the ibis was not that helpful/or blurred the pics (and I am told the PM1 and PL3 have the same mechanism) So I have turned it off, with no regrets so far (I am only shooting with shorter focal lengths, with the exception of the Oly 45mm - where i take more care!) I'd be curious to see if others have had issues with the E-PL3 ibis

• Like Like x 2
  17. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    I will just add my thanks as well. This is well written and has some perfect example shots that help to illustrate your points. I enjoy that you included a wide variety of prime lenses, so many reviews neglect to cover this important interaction, the reason for m43!

As an E-Pl3 owner myself, I have to say the camera has performed exceptionally well in the months I have owned mine. It is as close to perfect as a camera can get for now, giving me the flexibility of m43 with a tilt screen, since I desire TLR style shooting. I echo your sentiments exactly.

My only gripes:

1) The screen on the back scratches easily (although I abuse all my equipment, so this is no surprise)
    2) It doesn't have a vertical orientation sensor. Even the free cellphones have a gyroscope... come on, it's pathetic Oly!
    3) Low light focus still not as good as D3100, or my 8 year old D2x.
    4) The multiple exposure feature sometimes features an overlay, sometimes it doesn't, although I think that might have something to do with the speed of the SD card.

Thanks again. Lets hope the E-PL4 will have a nicer 16mpix sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    In my experience auto white balance is rather correct in natural light; in artificial light it's still on the warmer side of things even with the "keep warm colours" option deactivated, though much more correct than on my E-PL1. Those are the only images where I feel the need to correct it.
    I shot only a few pics with the kit zoom, maybe the automatic white balance metering is less correct at lower apertures as the kit zoom starts at f/3,5.

19. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I was reading about it in the forum and I was a little worried.
    Did some test in low light with no apparent problems, but the issue is reportedly visible at faster shutter speed and longer focus lenght, and it makes sense as the vibration can have more effect on this. But I did little shooting in this situation to be able to confirm or deny the effect.

I expect it to be visible at about 1/150-1/100 sec and more than 42mm as on my E-PL1 where it wasn't a problem in practice, so only time will tell. If it's like on the E-PL1 it should be of little trouble.
    Hope this helps.

20. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Tried the sharpness and contrast settings that you suggested in your review, and I like it better than what I had before. Because the first gen PENs had strong AA filters, I have always increased sharpness by 1, but I guess with the weak AA filter and strong default sharpening of the latest PEN, -1 sharpness actually works better, producing more natural looking photos... :thumbup:

• Like Like x 3