1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My E-PL1 and the Olympus 45mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by littleMT, May 17, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I haven't used this lens much, so at this point I am uncertian how it fits with my kind of car shots, anyways, shot some of my car today, just getting a feel for this lens, it's sharpness and colors...I have a learning curve to go through with it.....

jmz-1.

jmz-2.

jmz-3.

jmz-5.

This one was shot with the 14mm panasonic f/2.5

jmz-4.

• Like Like x 16
  2. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    Well done!:thumbup:

3. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    I find the 45mm to long for car pics, its fine when none is around though... the best for me is the 20mm or 25mm. 45mm is great for detail shots.

Nice pics btw, and nice camaro... is that stock ride height, looks lowered... enjoy!

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Fantastic ..look at that 3D pop out look.I love this lens and EPL1 is still close to my heart. This combo KICKS butt of a USD15000 combo.Well done :bravo-009::bravo-009:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

5. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

Yeah, the 45mm is long.

My Camaro is dropped 1 inch in the front, and the rear is stock, giving her that classic old school rake look...

further testing of the 45mm in pitch darkness. The cars are sharp but the 45mm blurred the background and I wasn't able to pick up stars in the sky.

ngt-15.
    ngt-16.

it is indeed too long...

now the 20mm got some great star coverage last night.

ngt-4.
    ngt-5.
    ngt-9.

the panny 20mm has firmly established itself as my goto lens for night shots in pitch darkness... as it allows me to stay between 200 - 320 iso...

in the darkness, the 20mm out performs the panny 14mm, which is a favorite
    of mine..... I need to score the 25mm f/1.4, and test it out.

• Like Like x 2
  6. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    thank you sir, it is a blast to shoot with..... I purchased a 2nd E-PL1 for $129 from Cameta Camera, just so I can always have the 45mm on it ready to shoot.

7. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    again, very nice... what lights were used to paint the images?

8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    a simple cheap led torch.... a small one at that..

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Good stuff (as always). I agree that your results with the 45mm at night are disappointing, but the 20mm shots are consistently amazing. The shot of the yellow/orange IS (I think) is sweet. The location in the daytime shots is great...love the tunnel!

I keep looking for constellations in the stars, but since my astrological knowledge is pretty much limited to the Big and Small Dippers and Orion's belt, I'm not having much luck. Do you consider the starscape when you're framing your shots?

10. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    BAD ASS!,littleMT !
    And the pictures aren't bad either!

11. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    excellent shots, :2thumbs:

12. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    ZOMG, they should pay you for these! :biggrin: Not really into cars, but these images are as good if not better than those shots I see in car mags while having my car tuned.

That night shot of the orange/yellow car is money. MONEY.

13. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Thank you all for the nice compliments, it does mean alot, as being a novice to this and the camera itself, the nice comments are very encouraging.

There is a uniqueness to these night shots, and these conditions really test
    the E-PL1, or any camera for that matter, but the little cheap pen lite 1, does a good job, I am amazed by this little cameras output, and it makes me
    very hopeful for what my future OM-5 will be capable of.

The E-LP1 has it's quirks, it's slow, it's controls are rather clumsy, it's lcd screen is subpar, it gives many excuses for producing bad images, but it's a image producing machine, and if this is the worst of the pen line-up, wow, I can only imagine what the OM-D is and will be for me...

The E-PL1 has been very rewarding, it is a inviting camera that begs you to carry it all the time, I have a small go-pro bag and it is so easy to carry, I find I take it everywhere, whether I use it or not, I always want it, just in case a shot oppertunity presents itself.

ngt-3.

14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

LittleMT .. U are naturally gifted . These images are incredible and let me tell you , Olympus EPL1 has one of the best IQ in MFT line up . I had this camera or one year and was totally smitten by it . Here is one shot

P9263722_1_1. PC043891.JPG

15. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    You'll find the OM-D much faster to focus and shoot, especially in low light, it's controls more directly accessible, the resolution of its screen higher (plus it tilts) and it's image stablization jaw droppingly good. BUT are it's images as razor sharp and detailed as your E-PL1? I've not had any luck so far getting my OM-D to quite match my E-PL1 in that regard. After you get your OM-D, maybe you can help teach me and others how to get their units to output the same (or better) level of detail resolution the E-PL1 is capable of.

16. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    You have a very good eye for automotive low light photography and the E-PL1 is certainly not letting you down. Great images.

17. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    very nice work! :)

18. AllenEllis

AllenEllis New to Mu-43

May 27, 2012
    Wow - I love your night time shots! Mind sharing any details to how you made them? Obviously you locked off onto a tripod... about how long were your exposures? And to "paint" with light, are you walking behind the camera shining a flashlight at them, or is it more elaborate than that? I particularly like how the orange car looks to be lit from directly above. Great work.

19. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

Yes, Camera on a little Gorilla pod, angled up towards the sky, 12 second anti shock shutter delay (gives me time to get ready to light paint), then I walk in front of the cars, which is infront of the camera, with a simple led flashlight, holding it high so the light comes at a downward angle. Exposure times during thos photos were anywhere from 15 - 25 seconds, as it was very dark that night.

20. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    You really are getting some nice results with this technique! I'm going to have to try it for myself. So, you're walking between the camera and the car to paint the car with light, holding the torch itself high enough to be outside the frame?