1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

COMPLETED My E-P2's black body plates for your E-P1's silver ones

Discussion in 'Completed Listings' started by labcoatguy, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I'm looking to get rebody my black E-P2 with the body pieces from a silver E-P1, now that I've learned how to remove the top plate as well as the sides and bottom pieces. I've searched for broken E-P1s on eBay to no avail. If someone is interested in converting their silver E-P1 to a black one, I'd be glad to swap the pieces with you. Obviously, the best way to do this would be to meet in person, so it'd be best if you're in the Boston area; I would be willing to go as far as New York City to do this. Alternately, if your E-P1 is not your primary camera, we could just exchange the parts via snail mail; I think I can live with a few days of camera downtime.

These are the parts I'd like to swap. I'd prefer to keep the leatherette covering.
    F3222599.

2. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jul 23, 2010
    I was intrigued by the idea of this, but aren't the top plates slightly different between the e-p1 & e-p2 due to the e-p2' s taller position of shoe to allow for the vf-2port?

3. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I was wondering about that too, but when I briefly had both an E-P1 and E-P2, I compared them and the main difference between the two was the height and not the width of the hotshoe structure. Here's comparison of the backs of the two using pictures from DPReview:

[​IMG]

As you can see, both cameras have a piece of plastic covering the back of the hotshoe, but in the E-P1, it's blank. Now that you mention it, it's hard to tell if there's a gap behind the E-P1 cover for the accessory port. If so, it would mean that Olympus had planned for this all along. In order to confirm or deny this, someone with an E-P1 would have to take it off and post pictures.

4. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Bump to the top. Also interested in purchasing a non-working E-P1 if such a thing exists.

5. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Weekly bump. Would also be willing to do a direct body trade for a silver E-P2.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Could you trade out all the plates but NOT the top plate?

7. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

0   0   0

Apr 7, 2011
    Labcoatguy, do you mind if I jump in with a question that's only slightly off topic? Did you try to find replacement body parts from Oly? I damaged the base plate of my Ep1 at the tripod screw. And, while I repaired it, I'd like to replace the plate if it's not too much hassel.

8. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Intriguing...I wonder what it'd look like with black top and bottom plates but silver middle ones. Let me do some quick photo editing and get back to you.

EDIT: With a black top plate but all other plates silvered, an E-P1 would look like this:
    blacktop_E-P1.
    An E-P2 would be nearly identical. Not a very good look IMO; if I had the option of only switching the top plate, I'd do that, but that seems to be the exact opposite of what you're asking.

Y'know, I hadn't thought of trying to get new parts from Olympus. I doubt they sell parts directly to the public, but you might be able to get them from third-party camera repair centers. I'll look into that.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That is what I was thinking, because I think it'll be the top plate that can't be switch. For a minute there, I was thinking I'd get a black EP2, and just switch the plates with my EP1, but I agree -- that's not very good looking. Nice job in photoshop.

10. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    You give me too much credit, that was five minutes in a fifteen-year-old copy of Paint Shop Pro. And the top plate can actually be switched pretty easily. Seeing as we're both in Boston, do you want to take a look at it?

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Sadly, you and I are looking for the same thing -- a silver EP2 essentially. Have you posted a query for broken EP1 to Fredmiranda? There's lots of buyer and sellers there, of good repute.

12. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Ah ok. Haven't looked there yet, but will check it out. Thanks!

13. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    This chapter of the saga now ends: after hearing from Olympus that they don't sell body parts directly, I ended up buying a silver E-P1 body from Fredmiranda (thanks to WT21 for the suggestion). I'm going to try swapping only the top plates and keeping the brushed black side plates on the E-P2 and see how that looks. In a couple of weeks, look to see an E-P1 with the complete opposite color scheme for sale here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.