My E-M5 and Oly 75-300 has landed me a PI job!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by phdezra, Jul 3, 2012.

1. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Hi alll. I'm not sure how many of you are still following this thread (but 1400+ views!) here: but clearly, a) there is a lot of interest in this lens/camera combo and b) healthy debate about what is right v. wrong with the lens usage. (And, yes it is legal since none of these photos are being sold for commercial purposes; I checked.)

All that aside, someone here must have FWDded this thread to someone else and so on, or maybe someone was just lurking - dunno... because I was contacted by a P.I. firm in NYC who was interested in my services! :cool: No foolin'! I guess they need someone from time-to-time, and my looooooooong reach lens, but really the tack-sharp shots convinced them to take a gamble on me. What really, really convinced them was my multiple shots from same position but showing 75mm, 150mm and 300mm in addition to my already being so far away.

My first assignment (hopefully not my last) is not for anything sexy or sinister, but really moreso for a Corporate America related deal (to take photos from afar and keep tabs of a couple people). Of course, I had no idea what to charge, so I figured $100/hour for a two hour gig was a good starter. Sooooooo, I get to do my voyeur thing and get paid for it now. :biggrin:

Obviously, I wont be able to post any photos related to that assignment, but you better believe I will be perfecting my technique and posting more samples of park shots here, and with NYC home to Central Park and more, people have asked I post some really provocative shots here -- obviously I cannot do that, but I'll post some interesting ones... (Gives me an idea for a photoblog when I have free time....)

What makes the E-M5 and Oly 75-300 such a winner combo here is the tilt screen (you can look unassuming as opposed to looking into the EVF when firing a shot) and the 600mm equiv focal length with very good results. They arent looking for NatGeo super-razor-sharp shots, and yet my images were MORE than sharp enough for their needs.

Anyway - thanks to all for input. More to come! :thumbup:
  2. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Grats (and kinda creepy). Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    I did that for a while back in the 90's working for a friend of my dad's. We did worker's compensation stuff for a major retailer. It was boring. Had to sit for hours to get 30 seconds of video. Paid off a couple times but otherwise it was just a lot of sitting around.
  5. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Interesting. Well, while I'm being bored, I'll be honing my skills by taking snaps of squirrels (or people :wink: ) and getting paid to play with my camera. I pretty much have all the gear I need as well as a Domke Fx2B bag. Just ordered a couple of spare batteries for my E-M5 and I am set. :)
  6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    You need a 600mm f11 lens. Prime lenses are the only way to do PI. :p
  7. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Ha! Well, thankfully the 75-300 acts like a 150-600, and I think the zoom aspect will come in handy. Also, it's a pretty small combo package, so I'll appear semi-incognito. :jedi:
  8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    the people on ncis used a nikon 14-24 as a super telephoto once
    the magic of navy science!
  9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The Golden Age of PI photography in NY was prior to 1986. The divorce laws were written so that if a spouse was caught cheating they weren't entitled to get alimony. There could be a lot of money riding on getting photographic proof of extramarital affairs. After the laws were reformed in 1986, it didn't matter.
  10. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    CSI, all variations of it, can't seem to ever light their crime scenes properly and resort to humongous flashes for proper exposure on full frame DSLRs.

I laugh at it every time. Turn the damn lights on.

A lot of times it's broad day light.
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    +1 with Tecpatl4, probably Worker's Comp. If it is, nail those cheaters! lol

12. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Are you going to get licensed? I did this type of work in the early 80s. I was licensed through another State.

I took a job that led me to Philly, Trenton, and then NYC. I was stopped by Transit Authority LEOs while in the subway. Officers told me that someone reported a "stalker." I simply showed them my credentials, shield, and concealed weapon permit (I was also carrying a Smith & Wesson "snubbie" revolver) issued by my home State. They honored my creds and went about their way. One of the Officers asked me what I was making. I told him that my standard fee (then) was $250/day plus expenses. He asked me for my business card.:smile:

This was before the Bernhard Goetz incident.

I'm certain that your PI employer will provide some training. Feel free to ask me for tips. I did this part-time occupation for twelve years.
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    ... and 911 (ala the Patriot Act).
  14. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    It was definitely a different time and place.