My E-M10 battery life sucks

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Wolfeye, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    72 shots yesterday and one bar is gone from the battery indicator. Fifty more shots today and it's blinking in the red. A few shots, maybe 20 total, were using the flash. Olympus advises me to send the camera in, but I have a feeling they'd find nothing and I'd simply be without my camera for several weeks.

I can't help but wonder if the CIPA value was reached with the higher capacity BLS-50 battery...
  2. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Theo K.
    I don't keep count of shots taken on my E-M10. My impression is that battery needs recharge less than 200 shots. I suppose the CIPA value is optimistic, with no chimping and flash.
  3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I don't use flash, but since Olympus moved to new 16MP sensor the battery life improved greatly and easily in 300+ shots.
    So, I would suggest to follow Olympus advice and check if something wrong with camera.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    I fully agree. Same here in terms of battery life (from BLS-5 batteries, too), and I never use the flash, either.

Anyway, it may simply be the battery - I'd look into that first before sending the camera in; a spare comes in handy anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've noticed extremely variable battery life from all my u43 cameras, but they are all significantly worse than DSLRs of course. I echo Matt's point about the battery - some of mine are now quite poor at holding a charge (OEM and after-market) and it's not just the older ones which are worse.
  6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    Try a different battery. I don't have a EM10, but on my EM1, I've been able to get upwards of 800 shots on a single battery.
  7. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    I think it also depends how long and often you are half pressing the shutter using IBIS to stabilise the viewfinder/screen which can have a big effect on battery life...

I have the E-PL7 which I think uses the same battery as the E-M10 and have the same problem (I use half press for longer periods for stabilising screen) but purchased a couple of third party compatible BLS-1 (much cheaper than BLS-50) batteries as backup which work fine
  8. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    Is it a genuine Olympus battery? I have had to throw away two third party batteries - they were cheap but held little charge and would die without warning.
    Excessive chimping uses lots of battery. Try to get out of the habit.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Two weeks ago I shot 375 shots (none with flash) in one day, all on one battery. I have been very happy with my battery life. I have 2 Olympus batteries, and I see no need for another after using the camera for over a year.
  10. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    I'm very happy also. I purchased 2 Duracell spares (UK based) for less than £30 before I even purchased the camera. I alternate them in the camera and therefore charging, but have never yet run out of juice in one battery in a day. The most I have shot in a day is approx. 400 pics but I recon with the 3 batteries I could do a weeks holiday easily without charging.

11. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Thanks for all the kind replies. I'm going to do a verification of sorts before I send it in - CIPA standards don't specify much, other than 50% of shots must be with built-in flash if present. It specifies nothing about screen use, chimping, LCD/EVF nor IS use, so Olympus must use the least power-hungry settings when testing. The specs also say take a shot every 30 seconds. I can set up the camera with a fully charged battery on intervalometer and see what shot count I get with no flash use, at least.
  12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Why don't you just get a new battery?
  13. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Lack of infinite wealth?
  14. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    How often you use Live mode, review pictures, zoom in and out if using an EZ lens...

Agree with earlier comment - extra batteries are good to have. Get one or two and see if there's a difference.
  15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    How long a battery lasts is more dependent on how long you have kept the camera and live view active than by the number of shots you have taken. For longest battery life on my EM5, I shut off the live view so only the EVF has it. The SCP will blank out after about 15 seconds on my EM5, and will stay blank if I use the EVF. If I leave everything running, I believe I'll get between 2 and 3 hours of battery life, depending on whether I'm using an Olympus of a third party battery, and it won't matter if I take 300 or 50 shots.

Using a remote time lapse shutter on my EPL5, which uses the same BLS5 as the EM10, I see similar results. Three hours 8 minutes with the Olympus battery. Two hours 20 minutes with a clone battery (Maximal Power). Timer was set for 4 minutes, so I had like 47 and 35 shots respectively.

I think 150 shots off a battery is kind of typical for me when I am having fun shooting random things.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Turn off in camera noise reduction and do it post. Battery life increases dramatically and shots process instantly.
  17. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    B&H has the official Olympus battery for $56, if that's too much there are perfectly safe and effective third party batteries for $20. As others have pointed out, having a backup battery isn't frivolous. I have 2 batteries for each of my cameras, and I'm not bathing in gold coins either.
  18. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Some batteries can be duds, particularly if they have a lot of cycles on them. I have had one new, although not Olympus, battery that is a dud. While a new battery is not inexpensive, having 2 - 4 is almost a requirement for OM-D cameras; ending up with an extra battery is probably a positive. The other time that my batteries drain quickly is when IBIS is on and I am not shooting.
  19. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Occasionally a battery might not charge properly... I have 3 genuine BLN-1s for the E-M5, and I've had instances where a battery would ready fully charged on insertion but only last a few shots before flashing low charge. Not sure whether it's the charger or the battery at fault, it's only happened about twice in the 2 years I've had them.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Good point. The Olympus chargers are big, clunky; and, poorly designed.