My Daughter..

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by ahuyevshi, Feb 21, 2010.

1. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Not sure which I like more... I love cross processing slide, but I am loving B&W more and more these days...

Olympus EP-2, Canon FD 35mm F/2

ISO 400, F/4.5 @ 1/500

Cross Process out of Camera, B&W a variant on my typical b&w conversion in CS...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Set 2
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    Awww!! she's lovely ahuy... i love the colored version. Its like old days... very cute....

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Beautiful - I prefer the first in colour, the second in B&W.

Thanks for sharing, this is the first time I've seen this Art filter used for a portrait - and it works well.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Yes, my first response is at how cute your daughter is, too! If I had to choose, I'd choose as Brian did. For some reason I love the first one of her in the color - and agree with SimplyEd about the old fashioned quality... The colors remind me of the way many of the old photos from my parents era look...we're talking about back in the late 40s, early 50s...time and light have taken their toll.

• Like Like x 2
  5. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    Lovely child and those color shots remind me of some
    of myself from the old Kodak... :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I like the first one in B&W. Without the color, it draws to her face and then the eyes very easy. The color version while nice draws to hard to the shoes and the green....

In the B&W..there is no competition for the eyes, they just F E E L her and get lost in her expression............

there's a wonderful tension with her foot and the frame edge...it pushes the eyes to her legs and then up to her hands making that great oval with her arms....that supports her head that of course brings you back to her face and eyes.....
    It reminds me of Lewis Hine almost to much......but that's a wonderful complement to be able to evoke what he did in an image...

The second one doesn't work....

• Like Like x 8
  7. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Thank you all... I have to agree... Although I really like the color I have just printed an 11x17 of the B&W for the office.... She was actually waiting for me to switch from film to digital, guess she didn't notice I already had the camera swapped ;)

Street, do you find the shoe a little distracting?? I was going to add a vignette, but that didn't work for me much..

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    sweet little joy of your life , i like the first cross processed and the second in b&w

beautiful moments caught,.......... wonderful

• Like Like x 2
  9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    No not at all...
    look at the very tip of the shoe..see the white part...that's called the "Irritant"

It's the part of the image that generates movement....

10. Enrique

Enrique Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    spain
    Nice portraits ahuyevshi. I choose like Brian and BBW, first in colour second in BW. Any case, you have it very ease :biggrin: your daughter is a nice and lovly girl :smile:

11. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    What a cute little girl with those lovely unguarded expressions that pass over the face of a small child! In the first she looks a little unsure about what she is viewing but in the second she has decided that its okay I think. I like both renditions. I 'm having a dilemma over black and white and the de-saturated look for my daughter's pictures. She is almost nineteen now and much more guarded!

• Like Like x 2
  12. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    yes, black and white for me, she is a cutie. enjoy the age, at 10 it goes downhill until their in twenties and slowly they start to shape up :)

Cheers,

PEte.....joking of course

13. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Great pics and the black and white are very nice.

14. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks all... I am looking at an 8x10 of it right now on the office (cube) wall...

Christilou, I really like the black and white.. Maybe adding a little bit of contrast...

• Like Like x 2