My Current NICA-TONE Process

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Robert Watcher, May 22, 2014.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

This year I have kind of settled on a look that works with the edgier, character filled city that I am living in - - - that being Leon, Nicaragua in Central America. I'm sure that some will dislike the appearance and some have found it appealing to their eyes.

It is simply a choice that I make as a creative photographer. Even if I am shooting noise-free, clean low ISO images - - - in general I do not choose to present them that way. I organize and process my travel and street images, almost exclusively in Adobe Lightroom and seldom open up Photoshop for anything other than compositing.

For video, my software is Final Cut Pro and for panoramics it's Autopano Giga 3. All accomplished on my Basic Apple 1.3 GHz Macbook Air with 4GB of RAM running OS X Version 10.9.2. My cameras are the minuscule Olympus Pen models with kit lenses.

So I figured that screen captures may be of more use than typing all the steps involved. To start with I will show the final processed image - - - then follow with the process.

These first 3 screen shots are my normal process for most of my grunged up colour images in Nicaragua. I don't spend a lot of time other than a bit of dodging and burning using the Lightroom tools - - - and then clicking my Basic Nica preset that I have created. Normally these would be the only steps I take and then move on to the next.

This is from the camera with the square crop

I take away and add emphasis on specific areas of the frame using the Adjustment Brush and/or Graduated Filter - - - mostly dropping or raising the exposure on the selected areas

My Basic Nica preset gives me starting levels of adjustment with Clarity, Vibrance and Saturation as well as a Split Tone that adds yellow tonality and then Post Crop Vignetting

• Like Like x 5
  2. Robert Watcher

For some of my shots, I have added a bit more texture by using Nic Color Efex Filters like Detail Extractor - but I don't use the defaults - preferring to dial in to own visual preference.

From with Lightroom, I Edit a copy of my photo with Lightroom Adjustments - using Color Efex Pro. This filter is Detail Extractor

After Saving back into Lightroom, I finish off the image to taste, adding Clarity, Tonal changes with Curves and anything else needed. These steps are shown in the left History Panel.

• Like Like x 5
  3. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    This would work well around the old fishing docks I haunted as a kid.
  4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Very nice. You should trip the Dynamic Contrast filter in Perfect Effects which is part of OnOneSoftware's Perfect Photo 8.5 Suite. Highly recommended.
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Looking at the before and after shots it's clear that this is a perfect PP technique for the subjects you are shooting. The effect is very dramatic. I like it. :2thumbs:
  6. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I really think your PP work is well suited to the image you posted - would like to see others....
  7. Robert Watcher

Thank you all for your replies.

Actually the reason that I made this post, was because different ones were curious about my images treatments in my running post here: