My budget MFT lens setup

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tlovegrove, Mar 21, 2014.

1. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    I guess this could be in either native or adapted lenses forum, but I just switched to MFT, got a used E-M5 body here on the buy/sell forum (love it!), and have been experimenting with lenses and building a budget lens kit. FWIW, here's what I've ended up deciding on:

Everyday walkaround AF zoom: Panasonic 12-32. I love the tiny size and 12mm width of this lens. It's perfect for my purposes.

AF wide portrait prime: Sigma 30mm. I tried the Panasonic 20 1.7, and it was too wide for my portrait uses. I can't afford the 25mm options, and I don't really need 1.4 or 1.8 for wider portraits anyways.

AF long portrait prime: Sigma 60mm. I decided I wanted something past 50mm, but couldn't afford the Olympus 60 or 75. So the Sigma it is, and 2.8 will be fine for most uses.

That's my light kit. Then for special purposes:

MF fast portrait prime: Canon 50mm FD 1.4 I decided the fast lens in my kit needed to be in the 50mm+ range for my portrait purposes. I certainly couldn't afford any of the fast AF options here (though the 45mm 1.8 was tempting, but just a bit too wide for me). So for about $100 I went the MF route.

Macro lens / Long prime: Canon FD 100mm F4 with extension tube. Not light and compact, but pretty powerful macro potential for $100.

I have an Olympus 40-150 I can borrow when needed.

Total kit cost with body and 5 lenses: $1300

• Like Like x 2
  2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
  3. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    As the Templar Knight told Indiana Jones in 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' after he picked the Holy Grail, "You have chosen wisely."
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Looks like a good kit. Add the Sigma 19/2.8 and you'll have a nice prime setup for cheap. Or save space and money and get the Oly 17/2.8. I had it and enjoyed it.
  5. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Let's see, it seems I am always on a budget. This is what I ended up with.

G5 bought new at the rediculously low price of $240. P14 bought used off the forum for about $150, I think. O45 bought new off ebay from Japan for $350. O40-150 bought new from B&H when they were going for $100. So, that kit cost me about $840, which let me splurge a bit on the PL25, which I also bought when it was on sale at B&H for $480 I think. Which still brings the total to only $1280. Oh, and I do have a 14-42IIr that I got with my original u4/3 purchase, an E-PM1, but I use it so rarely and it came with a camera cheap, that I don't really count it.I love this system. But I have a feeling most of my future purchases will not be nearly so inexpensive.