1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My BMW or Beemer

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Iconindustries, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Took her out for a model shoot this morning. I've recently put on some 17X8.5 BBS rims and gave her a dark tint. Also fitted new modern looking tail and side lights to get rid of the aweful yellow. She is a 1989 318i E30

Another recent addition is a 15 inch sub in the back. I had to do a bit of padding work to the rear of the car to eliminate the rattles but she's good as gold now. Cranks out the doofs, doofs really nice.

In the future all i need to do now is lower the front a bit with coil overs , or if i'm lazy- the gas torch on the springs.

photos with GF1 and the legendary kit lens the 14-45

Do you think a girl would look good with it? Let me know

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6578636255/" title="My BMW E30 with BBS rims by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 6578636255_ce3dfb84dc_b. "1024" height="684" alt="My BMW E30 with BBS rims"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6578638265/" title="My BMW E30 with BBS rims by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 6578638265_dac1058391_b. "1024" height="684" alt="My BMW E30 with BBS rims"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6578640283/" title="My BMW E30 with BBS rims by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 6578640283_3f0708cc80_b. "1024" height="684" alt="My BMW E30 with BBS rims"></a>

• Like Like x 6
  2. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    she is a beauty. I like the nice straight line of the bonnt and boot.
    I was going to say put on a sealer and wax. But looks like you already done that with
    a near concourse shine. I would keep it for another 20 years . BY then its a classic.
    Like the 2002. Watch the windscreen rubber as they harden over age. As it may leak water .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Perfect set of rims for this model. Good to see you've an "i" and not an "e" version.

• Like Like x 1
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice - you could shoot landscapes reflected off the side :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Saves on lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    LOWER IT!!! Lovely car, but it's a bit 4x4ish at the moment. The rims are amazing by the way!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Don't make too many more modifications, she's a beauty just the way she is and it's best not to stray too far from the original if you want to achieve true classic status.

Nicely photographed! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iconindustries

Cheers David for the tips. I haven't given it a wax and shine for awhile, the boot, roof and bonnet i've had resprayed so it's pretty new. I love the square lines also and the new rims really suit the 'square' style.

I've had her for probably nearly 5 yrs now and a few times Ive considered selling it but each time I am pretty sure I'll regret it afterwards.

Yeah the 'e' version wasn't very popular was it. I think it had a lower revving engine so you didn't have the high end power. I'm loving the rims as well, they were worth the nightmare of trying to find some that would fit the 4X100 spacing and the strange offset.

Yeah the paint is a solid colour coated with a clear coat so that must be why it shines. Thanks for commenting.

makes it a mirror lens. lol

Thanks mate! I shall work on lowering it. Do you reckon I should lower the rear anymore or just focus on the front? I'm pretty chuffed as i picked up the rims + tyres and fitted for $1300. Bit cheaper than Alpina's

9. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    may be lower it by 1 inch to 1.5 inch. Not too much lowering. otherwise
    every hump in the road or entering car park will be a problem.

If you had it respray. then keep it for 10 years.

You will start to appreciate how the older car drives work compare to newer
    ones. Its in the same era as the 735i . I really love that.

Don't do too much more to your car. Its a cool car the way it is. ( really)

10. j.SoundLabs

j.SoundLabs Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Jason
    Nice ride! Before I looked at your location, I looked at the pictures and thought to myself, "I bet that is an OZ bimmer." Love it, love e30's, love the BBS' and love Australia. I'll have to get some shots of my e36 up here today. Lowering it definitely changes the character of the car, but I'd be sure that you're ok with feeling every bump and pot hole before you lower it. I sometimes feel like I could roll over a coin and tell whether or not it was lying heads up on the ground, but carving up the corners is so much more fun. Great looking car in a beautiful country.

Cheers mate,
    Jason

11. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
  12. Iconindustries

Jason, thanks heaps for your comment mate. Yeah our roads are pretty cactus out where i live because of the number of trucks that use them during the cotton and grain seasons. So I'll have to be careful when I lower it. Made me laugh when you mentioned about the coin. I feel like it corners better already after fitting the wider tyres.

I'm curious to know how you reckon it was an Oz car?

You must have been over here a few times aye.

13. Iconindustries

Far out man! That is nice.
    Awesome rims too. I love how the both have the chrome strip around the windows, I reckon that really gives it some definition.

Chinese lens did a nice job.

14. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    My favorite generation of 3-series. I've been looking for one for quite some time now but a good condition, reasonably priced e30 is hard to come by.

Not to mention all sorts of variables to consider:
    manual, auto, convertible, coupe, four-dour, two-dour, straight-six, four, is, eta?

You definitely have some wheel gap to lose before the chassis even comes close to the ground. Take care of her!

• Like Like x 1
  15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice BMW!

And might I add use all three letters as saying "want to see my BM" could be taken the wrong way.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Iconindustries

I don't know what a BM is but I changed it anyway. Aussies often call 'em BM's

Thanks.

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

In the USA "BM" is a slang term for "bowel movement".

18. j.SoundLabs

j.SoundLabs Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Jason
    Honestly, it was the colors of the sky and landscape, the model 3 series you have, and the color of the car that made me guess it was an Oz BMW. I used to be on Bimmerforums quite often and there was a series of photos of an old 6 series in Oz that had a very similar landscape and coloration to it. I spent a solid six months there during college (university), and got to study in Perth, Melbourne, and Tasmania. I also visited the Gold Coast and Sydney. Best six months of my life, without a doubt. I need to get back asap, but that flight is a KILLER.

Cheers to you, your beautiful car, and country!

• Like Like x 1
  19. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Nice to see another BMW owner here who appreciates what the car is rather than what the logo is. :D I have an E46 that I've owned for 6 years....she's keeps running and running and just about 9 years old now!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Iconindustries

Thankyou Trevor. You'll have to take your e46 out for a photo shoot! I enjoyed taking pictures of mine.