1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My Bling Things....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by magkelly, Dec 26, 2014.

1. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    This was a heck of lot of work, took HOURS, and a lot of $$$, but so far they're tons of fun. Everywhere I go people just love them. Swarovsky, resin, crystals a few acrylic pieces. The brooch is a vintage one, 60's. Thought you all might like to see them. :) Oh and the straps are the snakeskin ones from Capturing Couture...

Bling Thing Red. Bling Thing Rainbow Top. Bling Thing Rainbow.

• Like Like x 11
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I guess. :(

• Like Like x 2
  3. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    :p It makes people smile, particularly kids and women, and with these I can take pics ANYWHERE and security guards and the like they don't bug me. IE, they don't take them seriously enough to hassle me, and that's the point. For the record they're completely functional, both of them, and have no plans on selling either one of them, ever. So these, basically I did to suit myself and my sense of fun. Take them or leave them, I don't care. But "I" like them...

4. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Did you just vajazzle your camera? ;-) That's pretty wild, but um... an acquired taste...

5. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    Yup. I've always wanted to do it to a camera actually. When I was out in CA I used to go to this bead store where the clerks were known for putting crystals on anything. They used to bling cameras, cell phones, anything anyone wanted them too. It was crazy, it was bright, and I just loved the fun of it. FYI, this was long before people started putting crystals on their shaven pubes. I did it because it was fun and also because I don't want anyone I meet to take these cameras seriously. I like to laugh and I like to meet people and take pics. These cams they don't intimidate anyone, in fact they're a great ice breaker and everywhere I go everyone is very nice to me because of them. The people that normally bug you like security people, they will do just the opposite with one of these. It's a lark and they think I'm just some random eccentric and I get my shots, and no hassle...

• Like Like x 4
  6. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Sounds like a good plan to me if it works for you! :)

7. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    BuckeyeState
    I think it is great. might make money blinging people's camera's... great idea.
    my question.. since when do women 'crystal' their shaven area?

• Like Like x 1
  8. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    It started about two years ago, out in LA, the woman from Ghost Whisperer she helped bring it even more into vogue when she admitted on TV that she'd just had it done. It's also done a lot now with eye and cheek makeup, using crystals as accents. It was on the runway quite a bit this year. The eyes and cheeks thing I like. it can be cute for a party or something. But there is NO way I'd stick crystals and glue on my genitals. Uhuh, no how, no way. On my cameras, yes, but not down there. :p Oh, and I had that thought, about doing it for $$$, until I did these. These literally took hours and it was painful work for me. I got migraines, and I had to take muscle relaxants. I have a really messed up neck and back and autoimmune disease. This kind of work, I can't do it for other people. It was just sheer torture. It really was. The glue you have to use is awful and picking up tiny crystals and placing them just so, it takes a lot of finesse, more than I have actually. These came out okay, but they're not very professional I don't think...

• Like Like x 1
  9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    What is this I don't even

10. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Actually, all things being equal, you did a pretty good job. I've seen some fairly terrible attempts at Bedazzling equipment in the past and these look ok...

The top one looks a tad insane, but the second one looks like you had a bit more of a method to your madness... ;-)

11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    So, out of curiosity...you said it cost you a lot of money...how much did it cost you to bedazzle one of these cameras?

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
  13. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    I don't know why but for some reason when I take photos of these I can see a lot more of the between space than I do in person. You can see the clear grout and you actually can't when I am standing there holding one. It looks much tighter, and more like little rubies. It looks like I did a loose spacing job and I didn't. It's just like it was done on a pair of designer shoes or something. It's pretty tight work actually all of it. I think they look better in person. I didn't bother with the photo lights and all that, but I think I am going to try setting it up like an actual product shoot and see what happens. I think I can do more accurate pics than this. This was just a quick snap under a desk lamp and it's kind of off a bit from what they look like in person...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    No surely that would be the battery door ... :redface:

Personally I approve of the lens cap decoration : very nicely done.
    All this reminds me to get along with a couple of projects ...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is actually pretty stealthy! While not my cup of tea, these bling'ed out cameras would actually work for serious street photography. :wink: No one would be intimidated while photographed!

• Like Like x 1
  16. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    About $50-60 a pop in crystals per camera plus I spent $10 on leather skins and about $15 on the proper glue and tools to do it with. I did not want to put glue directly on my cameras except a little bit where it was unavoidable. I was very careful about that because I was afraid that if I dripped it might hurt the camera's operation in some way. Since they're fairly expensive I had to buy the crystals a box or two a week as I got paid. I could not afford it all at once. It took me a while to complete them. It would have cost more but I used some resin stuff and it's cheaper than the Austrian ones. If I had done the whole thing in just Swarovsky flat backs it probably would have been closer to $100-125 in crystals per camera. Each pack took me a little over an hour to do and it cost me $8-10 for the Austrian crystals roughly, or $4 for the resin ones. I think I put in like six hours per camera? Not sure. But it was definitely at least a dozen hours or more for both...

• Like Like x 1
  17. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    Stealthy, no, people see me coming with these, but no, they don't mind nearly as much, though some of them they end up wanting to take pics of them. I've had to fight people to not get them to snap them with their cell phones until I was ready to post them myself online. No one takes them seriously though which is lovely. Security guards that would totally hassle me otherwise just smile and wave me on. They clearly think bling=silly pocket camera. They have no idea that it's a changing lens mini DSLR type camera that I am actually toting around. It totally works to my advantage sometimes in places where they are tight about letting larger cameras in.

18. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatever may float your boat I say !!!!!!!!

19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I think you did a wonderful job! I took some pictures of my camera once to show a custom grip I modified and in the finished shot it looked like it was covered in white specs! I started to clean it but in person I could see no dust or specs whatsoever. The sensor was clean as a whistle as was my camera. Weird!

20. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    My wife is thinking of doing it to her G1... But curiously, the G1 has a rubber skin of sorts over the front grip. She wants to know what you used as a base for glue? Is it rubbery? Or is it more like a cyanoacrylate?