My Black & White Portrait Study of Tyler. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Mar 11, 2012.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010

Shot with my Panasonic GH2 with Olympus 45mm f1.8 prime

1/200 sec
    Light but sunlight camera left and a white foam core board camera right
    • Like Like x 13
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow, this is fantastic! Very intriguing sentimental picture.

Great light.

3. really?

really? New to Mu-43

Mar 3, 2012
    It is a good photo.

Highlights look a little clipped here though, and the contrast between that and (his) right eye tend to give a bit of a raccoonish look that I can't get past. I'd try to recover what I could of highlights and shadows for a more balanced presentation.

4. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Believe it or not, the highlight, according to Lightroom histogram, is not clipped. I am also going for more contrast, not too much fill light on the shadow side. That said, I lightened the darker eye just a tad.
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
  6. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    This is a very good portrait, but (the big but), for me the left eye really brings down the image a notch or two. You have just enough detail in the eye too want to see more ... but more isn't there ... the white of his eye is very distracting and it seems as if the two eyes are looking in different directions. A small triangle of light under the left eye would have balanced out the portrait ("Rembrandt Lighting").

• Like Like x 3
  8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I have to agree with Gary. The darkness of the left eye is too much for me. Otherwise the sharpness is great and I like the expression.
  9. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I like it....good pose.
    Seems to me the left side is a little hot on my monitor.
  10. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    yes, while the classic Rembrandt Lighting would look good, I also like breaking the rules a little bit more, especially by adding a rim fill.

As for the left side, it looks fine for what I'm going for, which is a more dramatic contrast look. My monitor has just been calibrated and it's the exposure is fine for me =)
  11. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I really like this shot - yes the lighting is low on the right side of his face, but the way the image strikes me is: you could be having a conversation with him, as opposed to watching him turn his face just-so to pose for you. Thanks for sharing it!

• Like Like x 1
  12. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I re-ran the Black and white using Greg Gorman's method. It's definitely more contrasty. More punchy. I like it!
  13. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    I suppose it depends who you are aiming it at!
    I like this a lot.
    I suppose the "Rembrandt lighting" is what professional portrait photographers are aiming at (and I had never heard of before but will be looking for in future!) but it is hard to imagine that for your own pleasure or that of the sitter or for the casual viewer, this would not be seen as an excellent portrait.