My BLACK GX7 is on the way!

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
B&H has it for $898 with kit lens. I got a 5% discount for using the B&H Android app and paying with Google Wallet, which brought it down to $853. I've got a 14-45 that is rarely used, and the new 14-42 seems to be as good, so if i like the GX7 I'll keep the kit lens and sell the 14-45. I figure that will bring my out of pocket cost down to $700 or less. Couldn't pass it up at that total cost. Now I just hope I'm not disappointed.

Edsiajb

Mu-43 Regular
B&H has it for $898 with kit lens. I got a 5% discount for using the B&H Android app and paying with Google Wallet, which brought it down to $853. I've got a 14-45 that is rarely used, and the new 14-42 seems to be as good, so if i like the GX7 I'll keep the kit lens and sell the 14-45. I figure that will bring my out of pocket cost down to $700 or less. Couldn't pass it up at that total cost. Now I just hope I'm not disappointed.

I got a 14-42mm II several months ago and put my 14-45mm in the closet. The 14-42 II is so much more compact and lighter than the 14-45...although the 14-45 appears to be slightly better constructed. They are both equals in my eyes regarding performance.

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
Congratulations! I saw a black GX7 at a camera show a while back. It looks pretty sharp. I also have a GH3 and continue to use it along with the GX7. The GX7 is used for any handheld shots I take and the GH3 is pretty much used with a tripod for stills and video. If it were me, I would hang onto the 14-45. It is one great lens! The 14-42 is also a very good lens, but the plastic mount flange makes me doubt that it will out last the 14-45. I put the 14-42 on my G3 which is going to a family member and will probably be permanently mounted to that camera. If you haven't upgraded the firmware on your GH3, do so. The latest firmware adds the silent mode like the GX7 has. Enjoy the new camera.

Mike

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
My Silver/Black GX7 is on the way, body only… but I did pick up the 14-42PZ for $239. If the shutter shock issues show up I can go with the electric shutter. Should make a nice compact kit.

westcan

Mu-43 Regular
bought a black GX7 with the 14-42 kit from Aden Camera in Canada, $1050 after taxes. I figure that is about the same as the offer from BHP after taxes, shipping and currency conversion.
Really looking forward to this and to see how it compares to my GF1. I never did get the GX1, but do have the old 14-45 kit, the 20 mm prime, and the 45-175 power zoom.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Congratulations! I saw a black GX7 at a camera show a while back. It looks pretty sharp. I also have a GH3 and continue to use it along with the GX7. The GX7 is used for any handheld shots I take and the GH3 is pretty much used with a tripod for stills and video. If it were me, I would hang onto the 14-45. It is one great lens! The 14-42 is also a very good lens, but the plastic mount flange makes me doubt that it will out last the 14-45. I put the 14-42 on my G3 which is going to a family member and will probably be permanently mounted to that camera. If you haven't upgraded the firmware on your GH3, do so. The latest firmware adds the silent mode like the GX7 has. Enjoy the new camera.

Mike

I've got the 12-35, so the 14-45 and 14-42 really won't get much use. The only time I'd mount either is probably when small size matters more than anything else. And the new 14-42 is a lot smaller. Selling the 14-45 will generate quite a bit more cash, too. :)

And thanks, I have run the firmware update.

Edit:

I got my GX7 yesterday afternoon. My first impression was not very positive. Most recently I've been shooting with a GH3, before that an EM5, GH2 and Canon 50D. I have moderately small hands, but the GH3, and to a lesser extent the GH2, fit perfectly. Plenty of room for my fingers, a good grip and thumb rest, and the most used buttons fall, mostly, right under my fingers.

The GX7 initially felt way too small and cramped, like the EM-5. Unlike the OMD, the grip on the GX is pretty good, and the front and rear dials are easier to reach, but there's no thumb rest to speak of, and the shutter release seemed awkwardly placed compared to the top of grip location on the GH3.

But after playing with it some more, I think I'll be able to get used to it. I've had to change my grip, and hold it differently than I do the GH3, with my wrist rotated back further. But I think that wrist position may actually be more comfortable. I still hate the lack of a thumb rest, though, and will never forgive Panasonic for that. It would have been a trivial thing to do at design time, and would make holding the camera much more secure.

I'm not thrilled at having to go to the screen for some things that have physical controls on the 3, but that's the price of the small size. And most of you will probably think I'm crazy, but I'd happily trade the PASM dial on the top of the body for a burst / bracketing / self timer knob (like on the left side of the GH3). I change those settings far more often than I switch between PASM. And I wish the AF switch on the back had a 3rd setting for C-AF, also like the GH3. C-AF is finally good enough on the latest Panasonics that it should be easy to select. Or, if there's no room for a three position switch, give me a custom function to change the MF setting to C-AF.

I think that for serious photo shooting, where photography is the prime reason for me being where I am, the GH3 will still be my first choice. It's just easier to use and control. But the GX7 will probably be the camera I choose for family outings, parties and other times where images are secondary, and a lighter, less imposing camera will be an advantage.

To me the EVF in the GH3 seems a tad bigger and easier for me to see with my glasses on. I've never had the issues with the GH3 EVF that some complain about. The one on the GX7 is fine though. I no longer have the OMD to compare, but I thought it was fine, and feel the same way about the GX7's EVF. Both are better than the GH2 and G2 EVFs. The lag when bringing it to my eye is slightly annoying, but not a deal breaker, I don't think. It is noticeably greater than the lag in the GH3, though, which is odd. Hopefully this can be resolved with a firmware update.

And I'd like to try the 12-32 on this body, but right now they're still too expensive here in the US.

Latest threads

Top Bottom