1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My biggest issue? Am I going E-PL3 or PM1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrKal_El, Jun 30, 2011.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    As some of you know...I have the PL2 and looking at the features of the new PEN's...I am pretty impressed...

1. Size difference is really nice compared
    2. Same battery
    3. Faster focus & now 35pts....(not that biggy)
    4. Love the flip out screen on the PL3
    5. Dual-core chip (faster)
    6. Stereo mics
    7. AVCD is a biggy

etc...

What is everyone thoughts on either of those two?

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    What's the size difference between the two? If not too much, I think the flip LCD would be very nice to have.

3. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    Yeah...I have read that the PL3 compared to the PL2 is roughly 25% which is pretty great...

I have yet to see comparison between the PM1 and either of those two...

If the PM1 isn't that much of a difference compared to the PL3...I might swing to the PL3 side.

4. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    Ohhh.... and...

8. Compatible with SDXC cards and Eye-Fi

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    the PM is not much smaller than the PL. No price info yet, but if I were looking at these (maybe) I think I'd go for the PL.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Check out the dimensions:

5887198574_c5901f8201_o.

Looks like the only difference is the thickness (due to flip LCD). I would get the E-PL3 over the E-PM1.

• Like Like x 2
  7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm not very impressed. The sensor is practically the same. The screen is only tilted and not flip out so where is the news? Only Af speed and size? Not too much for an upgrade. I thought Oly would have done better. My opinion of course.

8. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    Yeah, I agree that the lack of some real improvements in image quality is disappointing. After all, a better screen or faster focusing is nice but won't necessarily show up in the final image. The GH2 and G3 seems to be the only option if you want a step up in sensor performance.

Too bad I prefer using primes combined with an optical viewfinder - kind of rules out upgrading from my E-P2 for now. The only attractive option would be the E-PM1 with it's close to pocketable size comined with a Lumix 14mm lens.

Just my 2c.

-Thomas

9. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    The tilt-up screen reminds me of the classic 4/3 E-330, or the ground-glass of a 2 1/4" square camera (Rolleiflex etc...). I had an E-330 with a tilt-up/down screen, and this was my preferred configuration over the flip-out screen in the E-620, E-3, etc... the latter made the camera bulkier for my uses.

If the faster AF works as advertised, I'll buy an E-PL3.

10. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    If that's the case is there really an issue? That's one feature that really stands out for E-PL3.

11. Jimbo3rd

Jimbo3rd Photog GoGo

Mar 10, 2011
    Central Florida/Disney area
    Jim Sullivan
    Just what did they do, from a E P2 w/o a built-in flash and a E PL with, to full reversal;
    P3 with and the PL3 with-out?

12. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    Great..thanks for that Amin... Yeah, I guess I might be going w/ the PL3... That thickness is almost negligible & probably helps with grip.

Ohh and looking at that...the PM1 is missing my fav color: Red.

13. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Front extension on Epl3

Anybody else wondering if Oly could use the 'extended' lens mount (which makes room for the flip screen in back on the E-Pl3) in the same way as the xz-1, ie, an additional dial control? I think that would be a very nice innovation on the Pen's. :2thumbs:

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    The more I look at the new Pens th more I ask myself why an owner of Epl-2 should upgrade?I think there is no real reason. And the only reason to buy an Oly is the IBIS if necessary otherwise the Panas are surely more advanced cameras. IMHO.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If quality audio is important to you (as it should be if you're using video at all), then do yourself a favor and get an EMA-1 3.5mm external mic adapter (or the SEMA-1 set which comes with the adapter and a very good stereo condenser mic). Then you can go to any video specialty store and buy a good external mic (like say a shotgun mic?), which you can rubber-mount or place on a boom. Or you can connect a transmitter for a wireless mic setup. Getting that audio away from the camera will do the same thing for your videos as properly controlled external flash will do for your photos.

The adapter is also a lot cheaper than buying a new camera body, and will last you through many camera bodies. ;)

16. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    Olympus-PEN-E-PL3-032.

Olympus-PEN-E-PL3-05.

Olympus-PEN-E-PL3-081.

Olympus-PEN-E-PL3-07.

Look at that Red...Sweet, still can't believe the size diff. compared to my PL2...

Surprisingly though, the Flash is Uber-Ugly.

17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I agree that the lack of IQ improvement is disappointing. I didn't care to see more megapixels, but I was hoping to see high ISO performance at least on par with the GH2/G3.

It seems like Oly does not have the capability of making its own sensors. If Panasonic is not going to share its newest stuff with Oly, I wonder if Oly could possibly get one of those Sony sensors (in the K-5, D7000, D5100, A55, A580) and use those in a m4/3 camera? Obviously, Oly would not be using the entire surface of the sensor. Not even sure if that's doable. But just a thought.

18. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I take it that the big lens is the updated 40-150?

19. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    yeah, and that flash does look pretty silly... Oh well, the cameras are great at least :)

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There's more than one new flash though. So you have the choice of one which looks really weird, or one which is totally useless. Doesn't make any difference to me, I'm very happy with my FL-50Rs and FL-36Rs. ;)