My basement is a watering hole

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    6 inches of standing water in our basement, and the rain is still coming down. This is the first time we've flooded in this house, and the worst part was that all our kids' baby picture albums were casualties. I still have the negatives and digital copies, but those prints meant a lot. I know that this is no big deal in the big scheme of things, but I'm really kicking myself for storing important prints so close to a basement floor.

2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    sorry to hear the bad news..... hope that you can dry out soon.

BTW... what's a basement? Here in Florida... dig a basement, get a pool...

3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Amin - We had the same in France, stored stuff in cardboard boxes "below ground floor" - we had some guys in tiling a new floor - middle of a hot summer - they left the doors open to dry things out - we live on a hill - "tropical" storm - torrential rain - a foot of water - through the vines - down the garden collecting mud - in through the back door and out through the front - but on the way it filled a few boxes, prints and negatives - as well a leaving a "tide mark" on some of our furniture.

We now maintain the "ditches" each year

4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi Amin, that's really bad news - hope rain will stop soon. And may the sun start shining.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Amin, I really sorry this happened. I know other's, as well who've had this happen.:frown: I have much to be thankful for - our basement is a dungeon...and my husband's workshop...but everthing is on wheels raised up... That said, water is better than a sewer backup...which happened to us. Not that this helps you.

Thank goodness you have negatives and more, but I know how I'd feel if I lost our family albums, etc.

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Amin,
    I feel for ya. Is there a drain or cleanout in the floor?
    The issue after the cleanup is MOLD.

The prints can be rewashed and treated with Perma Wash. This should save most.
    If you don't have a darkroom, you can send them to me and I'll treat them for you.
    Don

• Like Like x 2
  7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Sorry to hear that. Provided your prints are actual prints and not printouts from an inkjet printer, I second streetshooter : dip them in fresh water (I imagine you've had enough of it, but still...), wash them without anything but water, and hang them to dry. That's pretty much all that's needed for modern RC coated paper. Parma Wash is a nice plus, but not absolutely necessary.

8. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Amin,

So sorry to hear about your troubles. I had a basement flood about 12 years ago. Street's right about the mold issue. We hired professionals to clean up. Good luck with everything.

9. BBW

Fans, fans, dehumidifiers, fans... Of course your basement was probably nicely finished..with rugs... Thankfully we're in for some good weather here in the mid to upper Atlantic states!

10. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks everyone, especially Don for offering to treat my prints! We're doing the whole pumps/wet vac/blower/dehumidifier dance now. I know this is a really common situation, so I probably should even be venting about it.

11. BBW

It feels good to vent...and we can commiserate, so we get something from it too.

I know, I think Don is a prince among men for that offer!

12. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Amin,
    We all learn swimming pools don't belong in the basement.
    My flood was 3 years ago and I lost half my archive of platinum prints.
    My offer stands..,..

13. BBW

Oh Don, that's terrible about your platinum prints.

All this discussion is a reminder of how tenuous our "stuff" is...even when it's prized. I am sorry.

14. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    So sorry to hear about this Amin, hope you recover all of your precious images...

Cheers

Brian

15. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks again BB, Don, and Brian :smile:.

16. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Amin,
    Take photos of everything....you may need them for insurance....

17. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Our insurance doesn't cover for this, already checked. They were nice enough to tell us that even if we had flood insurance, which we don't, that it wouldn't cover for basements :rolleyes:.

18. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Same here, if the water comes from inside I'm covered..but from nature....forget it...
    I lost thousands.....
    My 11 x 14 Deardorff was floating.....whatever.....anyway...good luck....

19. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Amin, Sorry dude... Happens to the best of us... I don't print much but what I do I keep in a pretty big safe in my storage unit....

20. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Little satisfaction, but at least you didn't pour your money down the sewer and hopefully used it to good endeavours (like buying in :43: gear).

We jurist have a word for insurances : By contract, all warranties expire the day before disaster strikes.

It's so true it's not even funny anymore.