My bad luck in em5ii

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sunnyli903, Mar 1, 2015.

1. sunnyli903

sunnyli903 New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2015
    Last week I sold my GX7 and got my new em5ii. When I checked all the functions which is totally normal. However after I paid and got the handgrip from Olympus, I tried to turn to mornitor to 180degree. The monitor can turn 360degree -.- and then it off. The screen have never turned on again.
    I went to Olympus to fix it. They said since it is the newest camera, they don't have the components to repair. I need to wait maybe more than a month for the components! I am very disappointed:( and I have no camera to use now!

2. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Sorry to hear your bad luck. :-(

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would just return it to the store if possible and get an exchange. You can only have had it for a day or two, so they should accept a return.

4. sunnyli903

sunnyli903 New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2015
    No, I can't return it. Since the handgrip is a gift from Olympus (in Hong Kong, buying em5ii before March can get a free handgrip from Olympus), the body cannot be returned, only repair is accepted.

5. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    sorry about your screen, thats a big bummer...

But the camera still works?
    I have been using my em5mk1 without the rear lcd for almost 5 months now.
    i cracked it and my lazyness combined with slow shipping = no new screen in my hand yet.

Small tip (but i guess you figured it out)

Pressing the menu key and then the Evf/Lcd toggle button puts the menu in you viewfinder.

Review your images press playback button and then the evf/lcd toggle button.

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oh my... that sucks. Sorry that this all happend.

Not having components for a repair should not be an excuse. Since this is a fairly recently purchased item, they should have simply exchanged the camera for a new one. They will eventually repair it... that's were refurbished units come from. I accept that there is always a failure rate associated with even new products but that's were customer service should step in and make up for it. As my former boss would say...... manufacturing/develop may be the engine of the company but customer service is were the rubber meets the road.

I'm not sure about the retail shop you purchased from ... but the ones I go to will take it back as a return/defective if it falls within a certain time period (box, packaging, receipt required). If they have one in stock, they will simply take that one and "sell it to you".

7. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    ouch. Sorry for your camera, man. Have you even tried returning it? Gift or not, that sounds like highway robbery "We'll include a free grip that is worth 10% of the body pricem but no returns. EVER."

Also, this coupled with other thread(s) on E-M5 problems sounds more and more troubling. I'll have to seriously consider buying it, since my "connection" would probably send me a demo copy, with no warranty... damn it...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Did you buy it at one of those computer cities? Or was it from Broadway/Fortress those retailers? Because the way I see it it should be covered under warrantee and regardless of whether you got a the hand grip as a gift or not they should honor the warrantee. Also, wouldn't a straight trade return and purchase pretty much be the same anyways?

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I think he's saying he can't return it because he cut out the UPC code for the free grip mail-in. Maybe.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  10. sunnyli903

sunnyli903 New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2015
    Yes, that why olympus only allow repair but not return. My em5ii has the warranty. And I have been to olympus and cut out the code, which means no more return only repair.
    The only lucky thing is i can still use the evf for shooting:doh:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Look on the brightside : this is the first m4/3rds Olympus where you can turn the LCD flat into the body and use the EVF for absolutely everything ... pretend your LCD works but you prefer to use the EVF ... the girls will never know :cautious:

12. sunnyli903

sunnyli903 New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2015
    Not everything bro. EVF can not show the menu:dash2:
    I just hope olympus can get the components to repair asap:shakehead::sleep:

13. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    The em5II cant display the menu in the evf?

Its no problem on the em5I

Press menu and then the evf/lcd toggle button

14. sunnyli903

sunnyli903 New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2015
    which one is evf/lcd toggle button?

15. sunnyli903

sunnyli903 New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2015
    i think you means fn3 button. i have tried it and no response. Thanksanyway :)

16. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Wow, from a brand new camera no less. This is really poor quality control. Note to self: Never be a first adopter.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    It works on mine. The EVF switch is set on, fn3 is set to the EVF. Looking in the viewfinder, press the OK button, the SCP appears. Navigation can be done via the rear dial (front manipulates the selected setting) or with the arrow keys. A half-press of the shutter button dismisses the SCP immediately. If you change a value, then the first press of the OK button confirms the change and a second dismisses the SCP.

• Like Like x 1