My Baby Had A Accident !

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Babalu, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Babalu

Babalu New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    Needless to say I was a little upset when I discovered the broken LCD screen on my E-M5. I was traveling by air and at the last minute had to gate check my luggage (which had my camera in it - cased in a Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney bag). When I next went to use the camera - guess what..... broken LCD. Lesson learned - never let a baggage handler touch your camera/bag. I have since purchased a new Think Tank bag (Urban Disguise 60 V2) to store the camera and my other items in while traveling.

The camera is on its way back to me from Olympus repairs. Repairs cost aproximatly $153, which I thought was reasonable.

Also below is picture of my "secret" ID location.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That sucks! Never check in your camera gear! Especially when you can easily carry it!
  3. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Unless you really really really have to, pack a gun (or starting pistol) into the luggage, and use a pelican case:

Pack a Gun to Protect Valuables from Airline Theft or Loss
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

The gun stunt will not work in many european countries due to laws so you would be likely to get in serious trouble for carrying a firearm without very, very valid justification and in the UK a current Firearms certificate (certain air weapons over a certain muzzle velocity require a firearms certificate) must be produced and the weapon carried in it's own case not as part of other luggage or you will be likely to lose it all due to confiscation!
  5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    That sucks. Though frankly, I'd be happy just to not have the camera "go missing" when you get your luggage on the other side. I'd never check in anything more valuable than clothes.
  6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Yeeouch. Sorry to hear that.

Although you're right- that's a pretty reasonable repair charge.
  7. Babalu

Babalu New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I've had things like shaving mirrors broken when gate-checking a bag. I always carry my camera in a smaller bag that stays with me on the plane. I have found that a Thinktank Retrospective 20 with the dividers removed its perfectly under airline seats. I pack my tablet computer, camera and other small items in this bag which counts as a briefcase/second small bag.
  9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    That trick will help ensure that your bag doesn't get lost but I doubt that it has any effect on how it's treated by the baggage handlers. I'm not sure it would have helped in this case.