My "Antique" GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, May 6, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I recently traded my E-P3 for a GH2 and it just arrived. I didn't traded because I have finally come to the realization that the RF styled body (be it, NEX, Panasonic, Olympus or what-have-you just doesn't work for me). I took some time to set it up the way I like and grabbed my P20 and took a walk. I figured I was going to like the GH2 as I am a huge fan of the G2 so I was figuring it would be more of the same. What I discovered it that I was pretty much correct except it is a definite step up.

No camera is perfect but we choose to work around their quirks. The GH2 is no exception although I am finding the quirks to be far and few between. The biggest surprises (as in good) are the greater magnification of the EVF, the speed of AF and shot to shot and the extra level of customizability it has over the G2. It was also a very easy transition from the G2 to the GH2 because of how similar they are.A couple of unexpected pleasantries are the separate battery door (I never liked the SD card being in the same bay as the battery) and the finish (it seems to be much less prone to fingerprints and smudges than the G2. Of course the biggest change is the IQ. It is a nice step up, it has better high ISO and the video is full HD (and a separate mic input).

I like it...a LOT. I especially like it because I was able to get it a cost that was significantly lower than a camera like the OMD. I really debated selling everything I have and getting an OMD but in the end I didn't see that it offered me enough to justify doing that. Mind you ME is the operative word there. I made the decision based on what I felt was the best decision for me. I know full well what the limitation of my choice of an "outdated" camera but I have come to realize that there is no camera that I could buy where IT is going to be the limiting factor im my photography. I am always the weakest link so I decided to make my decision on some more practical grounds. I have a keen interest in video and I felt the GH2 offered a bit more of what I was looking for (especially since I prefer legacy lenses when I shoot video so the 5 axis IS really wasn't an option anyway). I REALLY prefer the articulating LCD over the flip up screen and finally I felt the OMD's IQ was not sooooo much better than the GH2 that it would be worth the extra expense.

What I find wonderful about m43 is that I can build a kit that is flexible, has great IQ and is easy on the shoulder when you drag it around. Also the fact that I have a nice selection of very good quality glass to choose from (not to mention how easy it is to use legacy glass). I feel like my P14, P20 and O45 give me nearly everything I need with my P45-200 (a VERY underrated lens) for when I need a longer zoom and the P14-45 as a really good walking around (although I generally keep it on my E-P1) lens. Also, the constant innovation that Panasonic and Olympus are doing (OMD and GH3 anyone?) means great gear and for folks like me we can pick up the "outdated" gear very reasonably. Seems like a win win. Now I am going to get about making some images.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Cool, very valid reasons to not pick up the latest (and most expensive). I'm keeping my eyes on the GH2 prices to see if they get cleared out for cheap soon..I'd say it's generally at par with the OMD as the best cam for stills to date (minus the IBIS) and with great video capabilities. I'd jump on board if it hits half the price of the OMD.

3. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    For my m4/3 needs, it's still the best out there, but there ARE some quirks that effect landscape/night photography that I've discovered.

But it's also been a quality learning experience, w/out question, with some of the great features so obvious that I overlooked them for quite some time.

Like, for example, switching over to center weight focusing to be able to move the point of focus around the touch screen w/my finger. I had left it in multi-point (or whatever it's called) mode forever and couldn't figure out why it wasn't doing what I saw guys on the Tube of You doing. Drove me NUTS, but it's elementary and obvious now that I've thought about it for a bit.

Have fun! The journey is usually better than the destination.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    There is no official GH3 - when did the GH2 become an antique :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Dixeyk, I think I've been following your lead, not always knowingly! I, too, became one of the lonely fan club for the G2, still my favorite built-in EVF camera. And moments ago - before I read your post - I committed to a used GH2 and decided to withdraw from the pre-order list for the E-M5. Looking forward to receiving it, then cleaning house of all my MFT bodies that will surely be of use to others.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's too funny...great minds think alike. :eek: I have really found that the G/GH body style suits me very well. It fits the hand so well, the controls are right where I expect them to be. I cannot recall another camera(s) that has felt so natural to me. Being a G2 user you'll love the GH2. The greater level of magnification the EVF is especially nice.

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I like the OMD but it just didn't seem to be the right fit for me. With the money I saved I grabbed one of those $179 45-200 deals on Amazon, a lovely 14-45 for $100 (okay that was a heck of a find) and still have some left.

8. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I believe I'll put my "savings" toward a 25/1.4 - unless my wife takes away my credit privileges....:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I had that same thought but I'm gonna stick with the smaller 20 for now. I'd be interested to hear what your experience is wit the GH2 when you get it (and the 25 as well).

10. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The 25 is out of stock at the moment. That's probably a good thing...:rolleyes:

11. Amurdaugh

Amurdaugh New to Mu-43

Nov 7, 2011
    Springfield, Mo
    I've had my GH2 for about a year now, and my E-P3 for around 6 months.

For some reason I always grab the Olympus when I'm on the go or just leave it in my car with the 14mm on it. I think its just a little more fun(or inconspicuous) to roll around with.

If I could only keep one though, it would definitely be the GH2. Love the manual controls and the flip out screen.
    That and it doesn't make noises with my 25mm haha.

12. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Congrats on the antique!

My GH2 arrived a few weeks ago and now shares space with my antique E-P3. I really want to thank the EM5 for making both LNIB bodies very affordable. :smile:

A few of my trivial thoughts..

My E-P3 looks good. The GH2 feels good. The articulating screen is more useful than I would've ever thought. The files have a good amount of latitude and high ISO noise cleans up pretty well. I like buttons and dials. Very responsive on a whole.

The video output looks amazing. Hacking is easy. Post production isn't - but time will heal.

Have fun with it. Looking forward to seeing some of the output.

13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I have the E-P3 and the GH2 -- I just can't bring myself to let go of either one. The GH2 is almost certainly the better camera, but between the IBIS and the JPEGs, the Olympus is just such a compelling tool. At the same time the GH2 is a fantastic kit too and Oly doesn't touch it for video work. If Panasonic had IBIS, I would probably have gone Pana-only already. I've been thinking to myself, maybe I am imagining the benefit of IBIS and I don't actually need it at all. I'm never sure.

14. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Such as? (I'm genuinely interested)

15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I quite liked the E-P3 but I found that my E-P1 gave me almost everything the E-P1 did. I know that sounds like heresy but the E-P1 with the P14 is actually pretty fast to AF and the IQ, color and IBIS aren't all that different. That's not to say the they're equivalent...the E-P3 is clearly a better camera but for my needs the E-P1 satisfies my Olympus PEN needs.

As far as IBIS...About the only time I need it is with the 45-200 and since it has it on the lens I manage to get by. Interestingly I found my G2 to be the best body I have ever used for legacy glass (even without IBIS). I assume the GH2 will be similiar. I like having one body with IBIS but I am really starting to feel like its not something I need all that often.

16. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Heh, thanks. That makes me feel a lot better about my E-P1. It's a slow, quirky camera but having the faster lenses does make it feel better. There are few things as painful as trying to capture a moment with the 20mm or 14-42mk1. :frown:

Someday I'll get a third gen body and combine it with some of the newer lenses and I'm sure it will blow my mind.

17. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    See if you can get your mits on the 14-42mkII - build quality isn't as nice as the mkI but it feels quicker on the E-P1.

I'll have to track down a 14mm Panny - I hear good things about its speed.

I couldn't bring myself to part with my E-P1 (I got an E-PM1 as a cheap way to get much faster AF) - it currently does duty as my adapted lens vehicle of choice (focuses as fast as your fingers ;-)

18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah the E-P1 with the P20 is pretty comical. The P14-45 however is very fast to AF (just like the P14). The biggest surprise is the O45...it's very noisy when attached to the E-P1. Seems to work fine but not silently (although it is fast an quiet on the G2 and GH2).

I quite like the E-P1. It has a very nice feel in the hand and with some tweaking it is still pretty fun to use. I typically have the P14 or P14-45 on it and setting the metering to center weighted helps a lot. I also added a Schott Glass. LCD protector and that has really helped the visibility by boosting the contrast a bit. Still takes great pictures. Couldn't tell them apart from the E-P3 or E-PM1 I had.

19. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It's ok..my mk1 collects dust. I should probably sell it/give it away to someone who can use it. The only reason I keep it is so if I give the E-P1 away to family they can have a lens to use it as a big P&S. I find the 14-45mm seems faster..as well as the 9-18 and 40-150 by a lot.

I would use the E-P1 for adapted lenses but the screen is so poor. Geez, all this posting makes me wonder why I even like this camera lol.

20. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    Hi! Which wrist strap are you using?