My anniversary of visiting Gubei Water Town

TerriblePerson

Mu-43 Regular
Last year, I went to Gubei Water Town for the first time, and it quickly became one of my favorite places. It's a fake ancient town 2 hours outside of Beijing with beautiful small walking streets and wonderful architecture. I went in November, when winter had already settled in. The plants were all dead and the water was frozen.

Despite the barren life, it was still beautiful, and the largest picture in my house is from that trip. This time, we went in the prime time of autumn, so we decided to try to compare what it looked like in winter vs. fall. It also made for a great opportunity to compare my a6000 that I used last year to my EM-5 II. Hopefully you guys can enjoy my pictures as well :blush: Let me know if there's anything you think I could improve on.

First, some comparisons!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
WA220003 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

DSC05402 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

These two are actually quite different. I did a bad job remembering what I did last year. I wanted to share this one because I actually messed up on the new one. You'll notice it's at 3200 ISO. This was the first picture I took that day, and I forgot to change it back from when I last did some night shots. I have to say though, it looks really good for 3200 ISO. I maybe went a little ham on the noise reduction, making it very smooth in some places, but as a whole, it looks just fine.

WA220092 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

DSC05409 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

It's funny because they're both shot at 28mm by chance, but obviously that's more telephoto on M43. They both again have a very different feel. I couldn't get the leaves to look right. For some reason, they look overly smooth from a distance, but if you zoom in, it actually looks OK. I don't understand why.

WA220138 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

DSC05661 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

DSC05499 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

Roughly the same focal length on all of them this time. All 3 have a much different feel to them. What's amazing to me on these is that, despite the EM5 being at a higher ISO with a smaller resolution sensor, the image in much much sharper than the other two. I think that shows just how much the 18-105 sucks on the Sony. I don't feel like I missed focus or had camera shake, although the daytime photo is at a low shutter speed for Sony...

WA220215 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

DSC05573 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

This one, my wife is blurry because I was playing around with seeing how exactly you freeze motion with flash in long exposure shots. Obviously I failed here. But it's still neat to see the difference.

WA220221 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

Frozen in Time by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

The Sony image of this is one of my favorite pictures, but it's not a very clean image. I find it amazing how much cleaner the Olympus one looks, considering that's shot with a prime on the Sony and a zoom on Olympus.

WA220220 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

DSC05622 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

Once again, I did a terrible job replicating the shot.

WA220207 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

Two-faced town by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

This is the one hanging on my wall. Maybe something went wrong with the JPG because the Olympus one looked better in Lightroom I think.

TerriblePerson

Mu-43 Regular
Those are all of my comparison shots. Here are some portraits that I took that I really like. I didn't edit the comparison shots very much, but I spent a bit of time on editing these portraits. Let me know what you think!

WA220050 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

WA220067 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

WA220075 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

WA220094 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

WA220102 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

WA220180 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

lampo808

Mu-43 Rookie
Very nice comparison, I would make a mess trying to recreate shots done the year before.

The portraits are amazing!

TerriblePerson

Mu-43 Regular
Excellent series, well done. It's a pity though that viewers can't see the exif :-(
I assume you can't see the EXIF because I gave up on Flickr after they went paid only, and I don't have enough drive to pay for a subscription when I'm not looking for exposure. It lets me still see the EXIF, but it tells me these pictures and 5,000 more are up for deletion. I guess I should just use Flickr to share my absolute favorites from now on and delete almost all that are on there. I'll see if I can get it fixed when I have time.

One of the pictures I clicked on said it was shot at ISO 3200 with a shutter speed of 1/2000. Whoops. Was one of the night architecture shots. I assume I took it right after a portrait shot and forgot to change ISO.

martink111

Mu-43 Regular
Nice! I've been to a village in Suzhou similar to there- it's beautiful

Last year, I went to Gubei Water Town for the first time, and it quickly became one of my favorite places. It's a fake ancient town 2 hours outside of Beijing with beautiful small walking streets and wonderful architecture. I went in November, when winter had already settled in. The plants were all dead and the water was frozen.

Despite the barren life, it was still beautiful, and the largest picture in my house is from that trip. This time, we went in the prime time of autumn, so we decided to try to compare what it looked like in winter vs. fall. It also made for a great opportunity to compare my a6000 that I used last year to my EM-5 II. Hopefully you guys can enjoy my pictures as well :blush: Let me know if there's anything you think I could improve on.

First, some comparisons!

View attachment 690027WA220003 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

View attachment 690028DSC05402 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

These two are actually quite different. I did a bad job remembering what I did last year. I wanted to share this one because I actually messed up on the new one. You'll notice it's at 3200 ISO. This was the first picture I took that day, and I forgot to change it back from when I last did some night shots. I have to say though, it looks really good for 3200 ISO. I maybe went a little ham on the noise reduction, making it very smooth in some places, but as a whole, it looks just fine.

View attachment 690029WA220092 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

View attachment 690030DSC05409 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

It's funny because they're both shot at 28mm by chance, but obviously that's more telephoto on M43. They both again have a very different feel. I couldn't get the leaves to look right. For some reason, they look overly smooth from a distance, but if you zoom in, it actually looks OK. I don't understand why.

View attachment 690031WA220138 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

View attachment 690032DSC05661 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

View attachment 690033DSC05499 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

Roughly the same focal length on all of them this time. All 3 have a much different feel to them. What's amazing to me on these is that, despite the EM5 being at a higher ISO with a smaller resolution sensor, the image in much much sharper than the other two. I think that shows just how much the 18-105 sucks on the Sony. I don't feel like I missed focus or had camera shake, although the daytime photo is at a low shutter speed for Sony...

View attachment 690034WA220215 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

View attachment 690035DSC05573 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

This one, my wife is blurry because I was playing around with seeing how exactly you freeze motion with flash in long exposure shots. Obviously I failed here. But it's still neat to see the difference.

View attachment 690036WA220221 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

View attachment 690037Frozen in Time by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

The Sony image of this is one of my favorite pictures, but it's not a very clean image. I find it amazing how much cleaner the Olympus one looks, considering that's shot with a prime on the Sony and a zoom on Olympus.

View attachment 690038WA220220 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

View attachment 690039DSC05622 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

Once again, I did a terrible job replicating the shot.

View attachment 690040WA220207 by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

View attachment 690041Two-faced town by Jonathan Selby, on Flickr

This is the one hanging on my wall. Maybe something went wrong with the JPG because the Olympus one looked better in Lightroom I think.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Fantastic shots! And what a marvelous place! I like all of them. But I hooked up on one thing on WA220075. Looks like she is staring at the plant. Not so natural. Think it might have looked better if she looked into the camera. Or maybe looking to the right in the picture, but that could have looking strange when holding that on the other hand.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom