1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My (almost) free flash bouncer for my E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jgmankos, Mar 16, 2013.

1. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    Just jumped back into m4/3...just took possession of an E-PL5 yesterday and have been playing around getting familiar with it. I never cared for the built in flashes on compact cameras, or even SLR's because the lighting they provide is just too harsh. Like alot of people, I prefer to either bounce flash or diffuse it somehow. Since tacking a huge bounce flash unit on an E-PL5 kinda defeats the purpose of having a compact camera...I was trying to figure out a way to make the flash more usable. I thought I remembered reading something on one of the photo forums about someone making something like this so I figured I'd see how it works.

A piece of cardboard...a piece of aluminum foil, some elmers glue and a rubber band...it ain't pretty but it works pretty good IMHO...

Here's the gadget, then some shots of my doggies using it. Taken with the E-PL5, the clip on flash, and the Panny 20. Not bad for something I made in 5 minutes with stuff laying around the house...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  2. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    This is great

Love the pictures, no harsh flash flatness. And the dogs seem so willing to pose. :smile:

Will something like this work on my EPL2 pop up?

• Like Like x 1
  3. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    I'm not overly familiar with that model...but doesn't the E-PL2 flash bounce on its own? I thought that one could be pointed upwards like the GX1.

If not...I imagine you could manufacture something similar...it doesn't really cost anything but a few minutes of your time, you probably have everything you need in the house :smile:

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Such cute doggies! And that home-made bouncer does a great job close up. :)

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    It must be satisfying to have a brainstorm and get it to work nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  6. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Luiz
    Very nice photos and little gadget! :)

Thanks for sharing them with us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Doxies! :smile:

Oh yeah... supposed to be commenting on your little flash gadget - images look great!

Thanks for sharing...

• Like Like x 1
  8. gary.l

gary.l Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for this. The Lim flash diffuser on eBay is too much money and ships from S. Korea. I didn't want to wait!

I used your idea but instead used the paper from a kleenex box (thinner but still sturdy) and used packing tape around the foil instead of glue (protects the foil from damage). Have not yet found an alternative for the rubber band yet... Maybe a smaller one so it doesn't have to wrap around twice. I was also considering using Velcro to stick it on underneath the flash but I think it might make it a little thick underneath.

Any idea how short we can cut that tab and still have it effective?